You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

George Best

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by heppies heppies wrote:

How much would the Belfast boy be worth in the transfer market these days?
Confused f**k all, he is dead.

LOL

There's always one.
Wink

Sponsored Links

Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 3:31pm

Originally posted by heppies heppies wrote:

How much would the Belfast boy be worth in the transfer market these days?
Confused f**k all, he is dead.

LOLLOLClap
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

That would be Garrincha - "He makes best look like a choir boy......."
"Ultimate playboy"?
Garrincha had two World Cup medals.

Best had two Miss Worlds.

No contest. Wink

The success Garrincha enjoyed on the football pitch was in stark contrast to his personal life. He drank heavily throughout his adult life, and was involved in several serious road accidents, notably a crash into a lorry in April 1969 which killed his mother-in-law. He was married twice, first to Nair Marques in 1952 (they separated in 1965), a factory worker from Pau Grande with whom he had eight daughters, and second to Elza Soares, a samba

singer whom he married in an unofficial ceremony in March 1966; as Soares had also married before, the Brazilian press were sour on the marriage. The couple separated in 1977, when Soares left him after he struck her during an argument. Garrincha had other significant affairs, including one with showgirl Angelita Martinez, and he is known to have fathered at least 14 children.

No contest indeed.....Wink

And lost his virginity to a goat.

A common rite of passage in Pau Grande back in the day (for boys not goats).

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 7:50am

Trailer released for new George Best film set for Irish premiere this month

George Best: All By Himself hits cinemas on 24 February after screenings at the Dublin and Belfast Film Festivals.

Fri 10:43 AM 4,217 Views 9 Comments
Share15 Tweet Email
Best was a global superstar.
Best was a global superstar.
Image: PA Archive/PA Images

A NEW BIOPIC about the life of footballing great George Best will be released in Ireland later this month.

Directed by Daniel Gordon (The Game of Their Lives, Match 64, The Fall), George Best: All By Himself will be screened at the Belfast Film Festival on 16 February before making an appearance at the Dublin International Film Festival two days later.

The film, which had its world premiere in London last October, will then be shown in Irish cinemas from 24 February.

It tells the story of Best’s meteoric rise from Belfast boy to European Cup winner with Manchester United, and his subsequent battle with alcohol and fame as a global icon.

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
heppies View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:43am
Anyone off here seen the film?
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 1:08pm
A violent alcoholic who beat up his wife!

How people can celebrate scum like this astounds me!
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

So what did you think of the film, then?
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 4:20pm

And was given a new liver but still went and abused it.

One of my favourite players but one of my least favourite individuals.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

He had an addiction ffs! Do you think a new liver  would resolve all the underlying issues that made him drink or remove his physical need for the substance? He may not have been a very nice individual and he can't blame his addiction for every mistake he made, but comments like that are extremely ignorant and dangerous, you are better than that FW.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 4:40pm

Have you seen the film as well, FW?
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 6:29pm

He had an addiction ffs! Do you think a new liver  would resolve all the underlying issues that made him drink or remove his physical need for the substance? He may not have been a very nice individual and he can't blame his addiction for every mistake he made, but comments like that are extremely ignorant and dangerous, you are better than that FW.

I hear ya PM and maybe it's harsh but I just never liked Best and how would the donor family feel about him abusing their loved one's gift?

I've no interest in the film to be honest

Edited by FREEWHEELER - 10 Mar 2017 at 6:29pm
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 6:52pm

I hear ya PM and maybe it's harsh but I just never liked Best and how would the donor family feel about him abusing their loved one's gift?

I've no interest in the film to be honest...
... because I've already made up my mind about him, and there's nothing anyone could say which will make me change it. Even his surgeon.

Anyhow, I thought I knew most of what there is to know about GB, but after seeing this film I realise I was very wrong.

For those who are sufficiently open-minded to give it a fair hearing, it's not about George Best the Footballer, it's about George Best the Man. And as such, it's no "celebration" or PR job, certainly no hagiography.

I went with someone who has no particular interest in Best. Neither is she from NI, or even a football fan.

She thought it was excellent, as did I.

And whether you liked the man more or less after it (both equally possible, I'd say), it is certainly thought-provoking.

P.S. Both his ex-wives get the chance to say their piece, as well as many others who knew him, some famous, some not.

Edited by Territorial - 10 Mar 2017 at 6:54pm
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:21pm

One of the better docs on George Best.

At 32mins check out the Windsor faithful screaming 'Ireland,Ireland...' would send shivers down the spine.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:31pm
Fair play FW, I just hate people judging without understanding and, as we have had dealings in the past, I know you are better than that.

I look forward to watching the film and the documentary that Gashley posted above. His funeral weekend is something I will always remember. He jinxed us in the Cup final!
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:41pm
Bestie the Ulsterman who wanted an all Ireland team.    

Edited by Double Maxim - 10 Mar 2017 at 10:42pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:45pm
Derek Dougan too
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Derek Dougan too
UKIP and Peterborough too........ enough said!
heppies View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:12pm
The DVD of the film is out now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic