You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 446447448449450 509>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 1:47pm
I reckon Torres will be the number 1 striker at the club for the season now. looks a cracking player whenever I see him. Played most of his football a bit wider so far, but looks good up front too
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 1:48pm
Jury's out on him still for me. Tidy player and will get the odd goal, but can he be the main striker in a title challenging team?

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Jury's out on him still for me. Tidy player and will get the odd goal, but can he be the main striker in a title challenging team?

As City showed last season they don’t need a main striker to win the title! Reckon Torres will have a great season.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

As City showed last season they don’t need a main striker to win the title! Reckon Torres will have a great season.

It was a soft league last year. All the other rivals were sh*te, and they've all improved this summer

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 1:57pm

It was a soft league last year. All the other rivals were sh*te, and they've all improved this summer

City have Pep as a manger and United have Ole! No chance of United winning the league, Chelsea look the the best bet for a title challenge! Liverpool’s squad isn’t as good as City’s and Chelsea’s and I think if they pick up a few injuries they could falter, also Salah and Mane away for the AFCON.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 25 Aug 2021 at 1:58pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 2:01pm
Yeah, i'd agree Chelsea look a serious team this year
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 2:10pm

City have Pep as a manger and United have Ole! No chance of United winning the league, Chelsea look the the best bet for a title challenge! Liverpool’s squad isn’t as good as City’s and Chelsea’s and I think if they pick up a few injuries they could falter, also Salah and Mane away for the AFCON.
Only missing 2 league games. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 12:09pm

You could see 5 City players getting 12-15 goals and its as good as 1 player getting 25 really.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:13pm

As City showed last season they don’t need a main striker to win the title!

That is sooooooo last season!

Quite aside from Baggio's comment about it having been an unusal season, fact is, football moves on all the time, esp at the top level. And an otherwise average Spurs side has already shown how to play M.City this season.

On the basis that most goals are scored from the area of the pitch between the goalposts and up to 15 yardfs out, M.City's main strategy is to get players running into that area with the ball, in the space between the lines of the opposition midfield and their defence, from where they either shoot, or play the killer pass to score from close in. In particular they use wide players cutting in to attack from the corners of the penalty area - Mahrez, Foden, Sterling, Grealish, even KDB at times.

Nuno was ready for that by withdrawing his midfield three deep - Hjoberg, Skipp, Dele even - while encouraging his central defenders, Sanchez and Dier, to step forward and play on the front foot. Those two alone must have blocked half a dozen attempts between them and the whole area was so crowded that despite majority possession to M.City, Lloris was hardly peppered. (Meanwhile Nuno picked 3 speedsters, Moura, Begwijn and Son, to hit them on the break.)

The point being that had M.City had a big striker (Kane?), or a "fox in the box" (Aguero?) at No.9 for Sanchez and Dier to contend with they would either have been forced deeper onto the back foot, thereby leaving space ahead of them between the lines; or, had they continued to step forward, that would have left space behind them for M.City's runners to close in on Lloris.

Alternatively, if a Kane-type No.9 dropped back deeper to the No.10 role, then opposition CB's would face the dilemma of either going with him (leaving space behnd them for the other M.City players), or letting him go (to overload or draw out the opposition defensive midfielders).

Of course even without those options, M.City will still have far too much for 15 or 16 of the other PL teams. 

But when they play the top 3 or 4?

Or in the CL?

Reckon Torres will have a great season.
Isn't he basically a winger?

Edited by Territorial - 26 Aug 2021 at 4:20pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:37pm
Yea I’m not reading that.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:45pm
Benjamin Mendy arrested. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

That is sooooooo last season!

Quite aside from Baggio's comment about it having been an unusal season, fact is, football moves on all the time, esp at the top level. And an otherwise average Spurs side has already shown how to play M.City this season.

That Spurs game was nothing new. City have lost games like that consistently for the last few years, dominating the ball and being caught on the break, most notably against Spurs themselves, United and Chelsea 
It was a matter of time until Spurs caught City on the counter attack last week, they passed up 3 or 4 good chances to before they took the lead 

However I do agree with your overall point that teams work out how to play opposing teams and just because city were successful with a false 9 last year doesn’t mean they will be this 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 26 Aug 2021 at 5:12pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 5:22pm

That Spurs game was nothing new. City have lost games like that consistently for the last few years, dominating the ball and being caught on the break, most notably against Spurs themselves, United and Chelsea 
It was a matter of time until Spurs caught City on the counter attack last week, they passed up 3 or 4 good chances to before they took the lead 

However I do agree with your overall point that teams work out how to play opposing teams and just because city were successful with a false 9 last year doesn’t mean they will be this 
Fair enough, but my point was not so much that MCFC can be susceptible to the quick break, since all teams which press so high in such numbers have to accept that. And in any case, few opponents will have a player like Son to capitalise.

Rather it was that they didn't look like scoring, even with all the possession they had in/around the Spurs penalty area.

And that was against Dier and Sanchez! LOL

Edited by Territorial - 26 Aug 2021 at 5:22pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 5:58pm
Why didn't they pay the extra money for Kaneand not bother with the Grealish deal. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 5:59pm
Grealish had a release clause 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:02pm
Wasn't it 150m Spurs wanted or was the release clause higher?
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:03pm
Ronaldo going to City, it'll be funny to see. Some United fans that still call him 'Ronny' as if he was their school friend
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Wasn't it 150m Spurs wanted or was the release clause higher?

Kane didn’t have a release clause in his 6 year contract he signed a few years ago 
There were rumours Levy wanted 150m, some rumours that city only ever made one bid of 75m plus 25m in add ons and others thatthey also offered 150m euros
All rumours, hard to know what is true 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 26 Aug 2021 at 6:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 446447448449450 509>
  Share Topic