Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 431432433434435 509>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

Imagine foden grealish and maddison as England's attacking midfielders 
Yes imagine.

They’d be like Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Yes imagine.

They’d be like Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes.
Or Hoddle, Robson and Wilkins.......or even.. showing my age here..Currie, Hudson or Bowles.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

FodenClapClap

His next game will be his 100th for the club
Average minutes per appearance is 68
Has played 25 game so far this season
He’s only 20

Looks like Pep knew how to handle him more than a lot of impatient others worried about where his career was going 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 23 Jan 2021 at 10:53pm
Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 1:34am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

I still think he’ll move into that no.10 role as he gets older....he just doesn’t have a wingers speed.but can you imagine the player he’ll be at 27/28....he could be right up there.thought stones/Dias were brilliant again tonight,more so Dias...he’s really turning into the new Kompany.

Yeah I’d agree on Foden eventually being a 10

LOL Fitting them all in? 

No room for Sterling, Sancho or Rashford?

From the bench
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 1:37am

FodenClapClap

He’s only 20

Looks like Pep knew how to handle him more than a lot of impatient others worried about where his career was going 

He was brilliant tonight.the only thing I will say is that city are starting to become a bit reliant on him...a bit much for a 20yr old.

One thing tonight showed is that mendy has no future at the club and possibly marhez..along with Garcia.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 12:17am

FodenClapClap

He’s only 20

"Lies, damned lies and statistics" comes to mind, since what really counts is PL appearances, not Cup games vs Cheltenham, or even "dead rubbers" against Olympiakos in the CL.

And this season, of MCFC's 18 PL games, PF has started just 8 and lasted the full 90 mins just 3 times:
https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=99916&season_id=153

Contrast that eg with Jadon Sancho, of whom you've likely heard Wink. This season he has started 16 of Dortmund's 18 Bundesliga games, completing the full 90 mins in 8 of them:
https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=105272&season_id=153

Worse still, last season, when it was clear early on that City were never going to catch Liverpool, but weren't going to finish outside the Top Four/CL qualification, the 34 y.o. David Silva got far more PL minutes than PF - and they knew he was leaving at the end of the season anyhow!

Moreover, according to Wiki, PF has played in 55 PL games for City in all, whilst JS's equivalent BL total is 94. And that's only appearances, whether the full 90 minutes or on as an 85th minute sub; I'd bet that JS has played more minutes per league game than PF.

Meanwhile, JS has 18 England caps to PF's 3.

Considering PF has at least as much talent as JS (arguably far more), and is only 2 months younger, it is clear that he has been held back by Pep to suit himself, not the player.

While JS, unencumbered by a 6 year contract, took the opportunity to forge ahead with his career.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:53am
I'd say Foden is really regretting his career choices so far Confused
It would damage this forums' reputation
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 11:07am
You got this one wrong from the start Terri and refuse to accept that.

Pep got it correct with Foden and he’s one of the best young talents in the world and I’m sure Foden will thank Guardiola for turning him in to the player he is! Working every day with De Bruyne would help any player but I suppose he should have signed for Bayer Leverkusen two years ago, wasted so many years at City hasn’t he?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 1:24pm

You got this one wrong from the start Terri and refuse to accept that.

Pep got it correct with Foden and he’s one of the best young talents in the world
Doh!

It's precisely because  PF is one of the best young talents in the world that I think he should have been given more playing time than he's been allowed so far. For example, last season he was distinctly 2nd choice to 34 y.o. David Silva, even after the title was out of reach but CL qualification was secure, and it was known that Silva was leaving.

Or do you feel that Foden wasn't yet ready for regular starts last season? (That is not a rhetorical question btw - feel free to answer it)

I’m sure Foden will thank Guardiola for turning him in to the player he is! Working every day with De Bruyne would help any player but I suppose he should have signed for Bayer Leverkusen two years ago, wasted so many years at City hasn’t he?
There is no doubt that the opportunity to train under a great coach like PG must help any player. But he's not the only great coach and besides, there is no substitute for playing time in important games.
PF could have had his fill of good teams (not Leverkusen!) who would have been delighted to take him on loan and give him serious game time, but no, PG had him on a 6 year contract and so could use him to suit himself (PG) and the club in keeping his win percentage rate up, or as cover for an injury to De Bruyne or Silva which never came.
Of course there can be little doubt that PF will go on to be a great player, very possibly with City for the duration. But without the maximum playing time that eg Giggs, Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard and Sterling got while very young, it makes it so much harder for him to go so far so quickly.

Not that Guardiola cares deeply about that, since he's not going to be at City in 10 years time - which is precisely why he picked Silva over Foden last season i.e. Silva's greater experience just gave him the edge over Foden at that stage.

All of which could have been avoided had PF not agreed to sign such a long contract but instead used the leverage of a much shorter contract to insist on either more playing time at City and/or a loan.

Which is only the point I've been making - and which you refuse to accept.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I'd say Foden might be better placed to reflect on his career choices when he's 28 or 38 than at 18 - including eg inviting that bird back to his hotel room in Iceland last year! LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 1:57pm
I suppose, instead of chasing your tail with pointless comparisons to Jadon Sancho, the questions to be asked are:
1) Does Foden regret staying at City and not going out on loan a few years ago, and 
2) Would he be a better player now had he gone out on loan a few years ago

Considering the trophies he has won, the fact that he's a lifelong City fan, the fact that anytime he was asked he said he wanted to stay and never wanted to go out on loan, and lets not forget the last time City won the league he played a big part in that by scoring the only goal in a vital home win over Spurs late in the season, the answer to question 1) would be No (IMO)

2) is one of those hypothetical questions that is impossible to answer with confidence

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 26 Jan 2021 at 2:03pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Not that Guardiola cares deeply about that, since he's not going to be at City in 10 years time - which is precisely why he picked Silva over Foden last season i.e. Silva's greater experience just gave him the edge over Foden at that stage.

He isn't supposed to still be there at the minute, if you listened to some of the mystic megs on here the past few years who've said he'll have walked away by the following May

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 2:07pm

I'd say Foden might be better placed to reflect on his career choices when he's 28 or 38 than at 18 - including eg inviting that bird back to his hotel room in Iceland last year! LOL

Maybe the same could be asked of Harry Kane 
It would damage this forums' reputation
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 2:36pm
Terri what’s your opinion on Mason Greenwood’s situation at United? Very similar to Foden at City, should he refuse a new contract and sign for a team that is going to play him every game?
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 2:46pm
£3.3mill heading your way as part of a sell on clause for Frimpong

Great business, ya scrotes!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 2:54pm
Who's he away to? Roma is it?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 3:08pm

That would be the same Harry Kane whom went out on 3 separate loans as a teenager, before establishing himself in the Spurs team? LOL

(He's also married to his childhood sweetheart, btw)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 3:14pm

That would be the same Harry Kane whom went out on 3 separate loans as a teenager, before establishing himself in the Spurs team? LOL

(He's also married to his childhood sweetheart, btw)

With a face like that he hadn't much choice LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 431432433434435 509>
  Share Topic