You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 409410411412413 509>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I think Ake is a quality player and the price seems reasonable. Like he moved to Bournemouth for £20m three seasons ago and the regular playing time has really benefited him over that period. He's had to hold together a back line over the last few seasons that includes some of the weakest defenders in the league - the likes of Francis, Steve Cook, Adam Smith, Rico etc. These are all pretty average players and he has definitely made them look better. He's also a threat from set pieces and usually chips in with three or four goals a season.

Glad I’m not the only one who rates Ake.

£35 million for an established HG defender who has experience of leading the line is an absolute steal to me.

But because he came from Bournemouth he must be sh*te says all the couch dwellers a bit like when Henderson moved to Liverpool 
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:34am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Paulo Wanchope at Derby and Paulo Di Canio at Wendesday probably fall into that category too.

Both were paired up at West Ham for the 1999-2000 season. The pair cost about £5 Million and scored just shy of 30 goals in combination that term, and that was with Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Trevor Sinclair, and Marc Foe behind them, and Rio Ferdinand in the central defence.

I think at least WHU three games from that season ended up being classed as part of that best of the first twenty years of the PL series in 2012.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:38am
Can Ake play left back 
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Can Ake play left back 
Probably better than Mendy can yeah LOL
Some people just deserve a slap
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:42am
He could be a good signing
I just think if Bournemouth go down they should get him for less than 35m
Unless he has a release clause set at that 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 21 Jul 2020 at 10:43am
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:47am
He would get into any top 4 side, even as a squad player.

Evidenced by how Bournemouth loaned him a few seasons ago, Chelsea recalled him, played a few games under Conte then Bournemouth completely collapsed without him which prompted them to sign him on a permanent basis over the following summer.

Some silly comments just on the basis it's a player signed from Bournemouth.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 11:10am

Can Ake play left back 

He can play centre back, left back and midfield. In fact fairly sure the player himself said before that midfield is his preferred position. So yeah his versatility will be a big asset. He could be coming in to replace Fernandinho as much as he is to replace the likes of Stones and Otamendi.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 11:30am

Can Ake play left back 

He can play centre back, left back and midfield. In fact fairly sure the player himself said before that midfield is his preferred position. So yeah his versatility will be a big asset. He could be coming in to replace Fernandinho as much as he is to replace the likes of Stones and Otamendi.

He’s a good addition to the squad and English.
You need to keep your quota up for European competitions and city are chasing 4 trophies so that’s a lot of games.

City have the money and there is a serious lack of available players around the past few seasons.

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Can Ake play left back 

You need to keep your quota up for European competitions and city are chasing 4 trophies so that’s a lot of games.

City have the money and there is a serious lack of available players around the past few seasons.

He's Dutch.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 11:39am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I think Ake is a quality player and the price seems reasonable. Like he moved to Bournemouth for £20m three seasons ago and the regular playing time has really benefited him over that period. He's had to hold together a back line over the last few seasons that includes some of the weakest defenders in the league - the likes of Francis, Steve Cook, Adam Smith, Rico etc. These are all pretty average players and he has definitely made them look better. He's also a threat from set pieces and usually chips in with three or four goals a season.

Glad I’m not the only one who rates Ake.

£35 million for an established HG defender who has experience of leading the line is an absolute steal to me.

But because he came from Bournemouth he must be sh*te says all the couch dwellers a bit like when Henderson moved to Liverpool 

Who on here said this?

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Can Ake play left back 

He's Dutch.

He is but he still qualifies as a homegrown player having moved to Chelsea as young as he did, which I'm sure is another box City were keen to tick with this signing.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 11:54am
For sure and I'm not debating that he's seen as Home Grown player, my comment was in relation to the above post that stated he was English Wink

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 12:22pm
Hope City hammer Watford today. Would like to see Villa stay up. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

For sure and I'm not debating that he's seen as Home Grown player, my comment was in relation to the above post that stated he was English Wink

Ah yeah fair enough - and I'm just saying as far as City are concerned he basically is English!

Edited by Devrozex - 21 Jul 2020 at 12:31pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Hope City hammer Watford today. Would like to see Villa stay up. 

I'd rather Villa went down re Terry and Grealish.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 12:59pm
He's decent and could get better playing in a better team. Wouldn't worry about where he's coming from, doesn't really have a bearing when you see how Robertson & Wijnaldum have done
Some people just deserve a slap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 7:13pm
If Man City didn't have major problems defensively and had Kompany (in his prime) alongside Laporte you could argue that Ake would be a decent signing to provide cover, but City are in a position where they need a dominant centre half to partner Laporte so it's rather baffling that they could justify spending £35m on a player who won't be first choice.

Pep would be better served trying to sign Skriniar or even possibly Alaba for the extra money, knowing they would actually make a difference straight away and use Garcia/Fernandinho as cover.

Edited by Green Devil - 21 Jul 2020 at 7:21pm

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 8:37pm
Delete this post, delete this post!

Edited by sid waddell - 21 Jul 2020 at 8:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 409410411412413 509>
  Share Topic