Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 387388389390391 509>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

They bought Rodri £63m, Cancelo £58m & Angelino £10m - that's fair investing considering Liverpool spent, eh, nothing. Add those 3 to the already most expensively assembled squad in the premier league and what do you get? Second place & 22 points behind the leaders after 25 games. Why isn't Guardiola getting slaughtered? 
ClapClapClap
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 9:23am

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Man City will be back - they don’t need a squad overhaul.

3/4 signings in the Summer is required. It sounds a lot but they didn’t invest last summer and a few will leave in the summer - D Silva etc
They bought Rodri £63m, Cancelo £58m & Angelino £10m - that's fair investing considering Liverpool spent, eh, nothing. Add those 3 to the already most expensively assembled squad in the premier league and what do you get? Second place & 22 points behind the leaders after 25 games. Why isn't Guardiola getting slaughtered? 

Because he's won the last two titles amassing 198 points and was the first manager in English football history to win the domestic treble last season, I would think.

That Cancelo fee is way off by the way. He cost £25m plus Danilo, I've no idea how that can equate to £58m

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 9:28am
It was a bit of a meaningless game for City yesterday anyway, no need for an over reaction. They're going to finish 2nd or 3rd this season, probably 2nd, doesn't really matter which at the end of the day.
Their season now comes down to knockout cup competitions, and has been the case since October. They haven't been able to win the league a third season in a row, its no disaster and its absurd to suggest Guardiola should be hounded out of his job for that, despite the English media's (and rival fans weirdly) greatest attempts to. He's done enough now to be afforded the privilege of picking himself when he can leave the club.

"He'll be gone by May" was the experts opinion on here when he lost to Liverpool a few months ago, so only a few months of him left Wink

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 03 Feb 2020 at 9:30am
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

3/4 signings in the Summer is required. It sounds a lot but they didn’t invest last summer and a few will leave in the summer - D Silva etc

Because he's won the last two titles amassing 198 points and was the first manager in English football history to win the domestic treble last season, I would think.

That Cancelo fee is way off by the way. He cost £25m plus Danilo, I've no idea how that can equate to £58m

Agreed and fair play to him but he's lost 6 games this season and is 22 points behind the team they beat to the title last season who have signed one player in the last 3 windows....for £7m

Some people just deserve a slap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 9:40am
That's covered in my next post, City aren't going to win the league this year, its been evident for months. How many points they fall short of Liverpool now really isn't important. Shouldn't result in Guardiola being sacked IMO.

In the last three windows City have signed 3 players, one of which is out on loan again and will be sold for a big profit in the summer. A bit irrelevant too, there have been windows were Liverpool have spent more than City, both squads have been assembled for hundreds of millions of pounds with City obviously more as we all know.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 03 Feb 2020 at 11:01am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 10:50am

You can’t say he hasn’t delivered.

In 3 full seasons he has delivered 2 PL back to back, 1FA and 2LC.
Jose delivered the same at Chelsea when he first arrived and he was deemed a total success. 

This will end up a disappointing season but City will win the league cup and finish 2nd at the very least.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 11:15am
City have a 53% win rate in the 15 games that Gundogan has started this season, and an 80% win rate in the 10 games he hasn't started.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Can't speak for [Ederson's] performances throughout the season but don't think he could have done anything about either goal yesterday. He'd have saved the 2nd if it wasn't for the deflection, and the first goal is just a good finish.

This.

Poor decision by Zinchenko to foul Winks. He'd have gotten back goal side of him if he had just chased him for 15/20 yards.

True, though it was clever play by Winks: he knew he lacked the pace to outstrip him, so he deliberately ran across him and forced Zincenko to make a decision (let him go, or foul).

And tbh, as is the way with most PL teams who play the high press, Zin was always going to intervene and prevent the break building. In that sense, it's almost like he's "programmed" (i.e. from intensive coaching) to act that way, rather than thinking about what he's actually doing.

City dominated so much of that game but were very wasteful with their chances.

I must admit, when I got back and saw the highlights/stats, I was surprised by just how much City dominated. Viewing live, it didn't seem quite so stark. I mean, Spurs were obviously at full stretch throughout, esp in the 1st half, but even with City missing loads of chances, they didn't look like crumbling like they've done on other occasions recently.

Mind you, I was sh*tting myself in case City brought on Foden...Wink

P.S. I hate VAR more than ever, which I hardly thought possible.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 12:04pm

Jose delivered the same at Chelsea when he first arrived and he was deemed a total success. 

This will end up a disappointing season but City will win the league cup and finish 2nd at the very least.

Never said he hasn't delivered. Is there serious pressure on him now to win the CL?
Some people just deserve a slap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 12:11pm
Is there serious pressure on him now to win the CL?
Honest answer, from a lot of the fans no, they still don't like the CL or see it as a priority. Obviously some other fans are different. Personally I like the CL and want to see them win it, obviously. I can't see any fans calling for his head if they lose to Real Madrid for example. Vast majority want him to stay as long as possible at the club.

From the club's owners, i'm not sure. I can't see them sacking him no matter what happens from here on in, I think he'll stay another year after this and then leave having done 5 seasons.

From the media - yes massive pressure which they'll crank up in the next few weeks. They've been mad to get him out of the job for the past few months it seems. Think a section of the media don't like him for making them looking stupid in the past few seasons.

From rival fans - yes, see above.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 03 Feb 2020 at 12:12pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 12:26pm

Why isn't Guardiola getting slaughtered? 
Because not everyone's an impatient idiot, even City fans. LOL

PG hasn't suddenly become a "bad" manager after a decade of being an outstanding one.

And even if, for whatever reason, he's losing his edge at City, then he surely deserves to decide for himself when/if it's time to go - I wouldn't say he's the type to hang around where he's no longer doing a good job, unlike say, a certain Monsieur Wenger.

Imo, the mistake City made was not doing whatever it takes to keep Arteta at the club. Then again, it might be that if he really is the long term successor to PG, that he can learn the basics of the job in the hot seat at Arsenal, then return to the Etihad when he's absolutely ready to take over. (A bit like Lampard for Chelsea, though he might have done with another season or two at Derby)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 12:29pm

It was a bit of a meaningless game for City yesterday anyway, no need for an over reaction.

I guarantee he doesn't see it that way. For one of his greatest assets is his obsession with winning every single game he plays. Which relentless is why he/his teams have been so successful.

Or do you imagine Klopp approached Liverpool's game with Soton as "a bit meaningless"?

(And that's without factoring in the personal bit with Mourinho)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 12:32pm

City have a 53% win rate in the 15 games that Gundogan has started this season, and an 80% win rate in the 10 games he hasn't started.

I expect statisticians would point out that 25 games is far too small a sample in so random a sport as football to prove anything definitively.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I expect statisticians would point out that 25 games is far too small a sample in so random a sport as football to prove anything definitively.

Its a big difference though
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

It was a bit of a meaningless game for City yesterday anyway, no need for an over reaction.

I guarantee he doesn't see it that way. For one of his greatest assets is his obsession with winning every single game he plays. Which relentless is why he/his teams have been so successful.

Or do you imagine Klopp approached Liverpool's game with Soton as "a bit meaningless"?

(And that's without factoring in the personal bit with Mourinho)

I know Pep wouldn't see it as meaningless. The league is needed now for City to get their form back, but overall its pretty irrelevant what happens between now and May in it for them.

On another day it would have been 3 or 4 nil before the red card, so I don't see the need for panic.

Liverpool league games will be viewed differently of course as they're on course for their first title in 30 years and to break all sorts of records. Its the domestic cup competitions that they see as meaningless
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 12:47pm

Just like at Bayern Munich, he was hired to deliver the Champions League

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Just like at Bayern Munich, he was hired to deliver the Champions League
This.

I mean, when his paymasters are eg chewing the fat at Davos with their fellow billionaires etc, boasting about the PL is nice and all, but it hardly compares with the CL, or the F1 title, the Superbowl or the Arc.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 1:07pm
They can always drop in the Carabao Cup LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 387388389390391 509>
  Share Topic