You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 384385386387388 509>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:02am
Apparently Guardiola could be making Ederson the designated penalty taker. Says he's the best at the club.
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:25am
Bemused as to why De Bruyne hasn't been given a go on pens.

Jesus has missed 6 of his last 10 for club and country. Should never take another one.
Aguero has missed plenty too and I've never fancied him on penalties.
Sterling missed two against Wolves.

Gundogan seems to be the no.1 penalty taker when he's on the pitch now.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Bemused as to why De Bruyne hasn't been given a go on pens.

Jesus has missed 6 of his last 10 for club and country. Should never take another one.
Aguero has missed plenty too and I've never fancied him on penalties.
Sterling missed two against Wolves.

Gundogan seems to be the no.1 penalty taker when he's on the pitch now.

Shouldn't be playing for City, not good enough.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 12:25pm
That's nonsense. His scoring record is brilliant. He's a good backup striker. Can't think of many clubs who have a better backup. Liverpool if Firmino is out? Spurs if Kane is out? Chelsea if Abraham is out? United?
Just shouldn't take anymore penalties

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 12:36pm
Ach I'm only half on the wind up.

Decent back up striker alright but I just don't see enough in his game to become a top striker.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 5:28pm
Jesus would start regularly in every side in the PL outside of City and Liverpool. Even at that, he has plenty of starts and sub appearances with City and has been ahead of Firmino for long stretches in the selection for Brazil. Weird notions around this lad.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Jesus would start regularly in every side in the PL outside of City and Liverpool. Even at that, he has plenty of starts and sub appearances with City and has been ahead of Firmino for long stretches in the selection for Brazil. Weird notions around this lad.

He'd hardly start ahead of Harry Kane to be fair. I'd have Aubameyang, Abraham and Vardy ahead of him as well.

Also his selection ahead of Firmino at the last World Cup was very strange and was probably one of the reasons they didn't do as well as they could have.

Whilst he's quality on his day he's far too streaky to be a regular starter for a team like City.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 5:38pm
Kane isn't close to the player he was over the last 18 months. He'd start at Spurs probably beside Kane. Lacazettte starts at Arsenal, he'd be ahead of him. He wouldn't start ahead of Vardy probably at Leicester but I think he'd play alongside him. I like Abraham but Jesus is a miles better player than him and Chelsea would be way closer to the top sides of they had him in the team.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 5:48pm

Kane isn't close to the player he was over the last 18 months. He'd start at Spurs probably beside Kane. Lacazettte starts at Arsenal, he'd be ahead of him. He wouldn't start ahead of Vardy probably at Leicester but I think he'd play alongside him. I like Abraham but Jesus is a miles better player than him and Chelsea would be way closer to the top sides of they had him in the team.

Part of the issue with Jesus is alluded to in your post - he’s not the ideal sort of player to lead the line on his own. How many teams in the league play two up top? Sheffield United do - and Watford used to. That’s about it. He’s been at City long enough now that Guardiola must know his strengths and weaknesses inside out at this stage - and yet the sense remains that he’s never really fully trusted him.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 12:52am

Kane isn't close to the player he was over the last 18 months.
Between the 1st game of the season on 10 Aug 2019 and his injury on New Years Day, Kane scored 27 goals in 31 games (Spurs and England).

That is all.

Edited by Territorial - 23 Jan 2020 at 12:54am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Between the 1st game of the season on 10 Aug 2019 and his injury on New Years Day, Kane scored 27 goals in 31 games (Spurs and England).

That is all.

Kane was also golden boot winner at the last world cup 18 months ago and his performances varied between appalling and average at the tournament. 

That is all.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:09am

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

That is all.

Kane was also golden boot winner at the last world cup 18 months ago and his performances varied between appalling and average at the tournament. 

That is all.

How does 7 England games during a month in mid-2018, back up your claim that he hasn't come "close" to the form he was showing 18 months ago? 

Especially since he averaged almost a goal a game in a poor Spurs team over the last six months?

Or is that all you got?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 3:31am
My quote read 'Kane isn't close to the player he was over the last 18 months'.

My quote should probably have read better 'Kane isn't close to the player he once was over the last 18 months'. 

I'm not sure what you're arguing here btw. Mr Magoo could see that Kane currently is not a patch on the player he was 4/5 years ago. The ankle injuries imo have set him back hugely. He has also started to play as a number 10 a lot more in the past 2 seasons which is not his strength at all and makes him a far lesser player. That's obviously tactical, but it wouldn't surprise me if Kane is happy to do that plenty now so he doesn't have to keep getting into sprinting situations etc. with the ankle.

I hope he gets back to where he was a few years ago as I loved watching him then. He's a completely different player now.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 23 Jan 2020 at 3:33am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:48pm

'Kane isn't close to the player he once was over the last 18 months'. 

I'm not sure what you're arguing here btw. Mr Magoo could see that Kane currently is not a patch on the player he was 4/5 years ago. The ankle injuries imo have set him back hugely. He has also started to play as a number 10 a lot more in the past 2 seasons which is not his strength at all and makes him a far lesser player. That's obviously tactical, but it wouldn't surprise me if Kane is happy to do that plenty now so he doesn't have to keep getting into sprinting situations etc. with the ankle.

I hope he gets back to where he was a few years ago as I loved watching him then. He's a completely different player now.

Nonsense.

Kane is 26. "Four or five years ago" he was still developing as a player: i.e. 2014/15 - 32 goals in 56 games, 2015/16 - 32 in 64. He rose to the next level in 2016/17 (38 in 41), followed by 52 in 59 in 2017/18.

Granted, he had an average season by his standards in 2018/19, a "mere" 27 goals in 49 games, but that was nothing to do with some imagined waning of his physical powers. Rather it was down to two things. First, he had previously been worked like a dog by both Spurs and England for 4 years/220 games without a break, even in the close season. This meant when he came back from Russia in July and straight into the PL in August, he was fatigued beyond reason and so made a slow start. However, by December, he had "got his mojo back", going on a run of 13 goals in 15 games from the busy Xmas/NY period.
Second, he picked up an ankle injury towards the end of the season and they couldn't/wouldn't rest him  properly, so making it worse.

But the proof that it wasn't some long-term, deep-seated problem was evident this season when, after getting a proper rest in the summer, he came back with a bang, scoring eg 8 goals in 7 games in September alone, contributing to a total of 27 in 31 games before his present injury. It is bizarre to imagine some sort of physical decline in a player with a goalscoring record like that, especially for a team which was otherwise struggling.

Fact is, he was carrying the team!

And as for your notion that he's now become a No.10 in order to manage that "decline", that is such balls that I hardly know where to start...LOL

Edited by Territorial - 23 Jan 2020 at 2:50pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:08pm
So Kane isn't dropping off into the no.10 role a huge amount in lots of games this season and last? You must not be watching much of Spurs. There have been lots of games where Son/Moura/Alli positions have been far higher up he pitch than Kane and their number of touches in the opposite box have been far higher than Kane. It's clear that he has completely changed his style of play and isn't an out and out number 9 anymore. It has meant he isn't half the player he was a few years ago, and it's baffling anyone would say any different.

As for his goalscoring record, good for him. As I pointed out, Kane was the golden boot winner at the 2018 world cup. Most people just looking at such a stat would think he must have had a brilliant world cup when in fact he was awful. I guess the possibility that such poor form is possible despite the goal stats, that kind of thing flies right over your head.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:51pm

So Kane isn't dropping off into the no.10 role a huge amount in lots of games this season and last? You must not be watching much of Spurs. There have been lots of games where Son/Moura/Alli positions have been far higher up he pitch than Kane and their number of touches in the opposite box have been far higher than Kane. It's clear that he has completely changed his style of play and isn't an out and out number 9 anymore.
I "mustn't be watching much of Spurs" is it? FYI, I'm a ST holder at WHL! LOL

When Soldado - a classic No.9 if ever there was one - turned out to be a dud, Poch promoted HK to play that role. And he signed identikit players as back-up - eg Vinny Jansen, or as recently as summer 2017, Fernando Llorente. Which was why right up until his dismissal, he used HK to lead the line as the spearhead of a front three, with Son on the left and Moura on the right.

Not only that, but the minute he took over, Mourinho identified HK as the "Drogba" in his new, defensively minded formation i.e. lone striker in front of a midfield five. And since HK got injured, the two replacements he's chasing are both themselves experienced, old-style No.9's: Willian Jose (listed as 6' 2") or Vedat Muriqi (6'4").

These are hardly the actions of a manager who reckons the player is physically unable to carry out the role. (Southgate neither, for that matter).

As for Kane's dropping deep etc, fact is, as HK has developed his all-round game, this is one of the techniques he has added to his armoury. However, this is usually when he is being close-marked by a big CB who's playing in a team which defends deep. By doing so, he can hope to draw the CB out of position, thereby creating space behind him for either Son/Moura or Spurs' attacking midfielders to exploit instead.

Which is only one part of his game. For example, he will also move out into wide positions, either to use space which has opened up, or to draw defenders out of position again. As such, he has developed into one of the best crossers, or strikers of a 30 yard diagonal pass, at the club.

The point being that both of these are tactical choices, rather than a consequence of (your imagined) physical decline.

Oh, and there's one other reason why neither Poch or Mourinho ever even thought of turning HK into a No.10: the presence of a certain Dele Alli - potentially the best No.10 in the entire PL! LOL

It has meant he isn't half the player he was a few years ago, and it's baffling anyone would say any different.
What is baffling is that anyone could ignore the tally of 27 goals in 31 games in 2019/20 and still claim he's not half the player he was for or five years ago (eg 32 in 64 games in 2015/16)

As I pointed out, Kane was the golden boot winner at the 2018 world cup. Most people just looking at such a stat would think he must have had a brilliant world cup when in fact he was awful. I guess the possibility that such poor form is possible despite the goal stats, that kind of thing flies right over your head.
I'm not "most people". Neither did I ever claim that he had a "brilliant" World Cup. Then again, I've never said that he was "awful" either. I guess that's because I try to avoid wild hyperbole. Maybe you should try it?

In any case, I fail to see how, whether brilliant or awful, four weeks in the summer of 2018 in any way informs the debate over a player's physical condition in 2020. Confused

Perhaps that's going over my head, too? LOL
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 5:57pm
My Lord.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:19pm

My Lord.
Is that it?

No counter?

Not like you to be so reticent, even when you've been badly shown up.

Or do I mean especially when you've been badly shown up? Wink

Btw, do you want to revive our discussion over "the abysmal Eric Dier"?

You know, the player that Mourinho now seems to rate, as well as Pochettino, Hodgson and Southgate?

Perhaps they should all have a word with you? I'm sure they'd learn from the expertise gained by you from the comfort of your armchair watching MOTD...LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 384385386387388 509>
  Share Topic