You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 377378379380381 509>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Would love to see Pep at a place like Arsenal where there's serious work to be done but not bottomless pockets to buy players. Be interesting to see how he'd get on

I'd love to see Guardiola stick around and try and rebuild a new team at the same club after an unsuccessful season, if that's how this season pans out for City. Like his last season at Barca, I think he will walk after this one. 

You could well be correct, but I wouldn't be so sure.

I think the point about PG is that he likes (needs?) a challenge. But now that he's ticked off Barca and Bayern from his list, unless he fancies Italy, or maybe PSG(?), the challenge of building a new City team to take on Liverpool might actually appeal most?

Remember, Ferguson built at least 3 great teams during his time at MU, and Wenger a couple at Arsenal, so maybe PG wants to emulate them, at a club where he's otherwise entirely comfortable and secure? If nothing else, winning the CL with a second club would please him and his employers, even if the fans might be less impressed.

Edited by Territorial - 10 Dec 2019 at 1:44pm
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 10:41pm
Jesus with a lovely hat-trick. Second one was a beauty Clap
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 10:58pm
Possible last 16 opponents - Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Lyon, Napoli
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Possible last 16 opponents - Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Lyon, Napoli
I could have told ya that two years ago.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Why didn’t you do a bet then on all those teams to finish second in their groups?

Boo hoo, teams from the best leagues in Europe have made the last 16, give over 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:08pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Why didn’t you do a bet then on all those teams to finish second in their groups?

Boo hoo, teams from the richest leagues in Europe have made the last 16, give over 
Best is subjective.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:14pm
It’s a pity Lokomotiv Moscow or Club Brugge didn’t make the last 16 alright
Be edge of the seat stuff in seeing how many they get spanked by over two legs 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 11 Dec 2019 at 11:15pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:21pm

It’s a pity Lokomotiv Moscow or Club Brugge didn’t make the last 16 alright
Be edge of the seat stuff in seeing how many they get spanked by over two legs 
I think you may have missed the point by a mile or two.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:27pm
I didn’t 
You aren’t happy that all the teams in the CL last 16 this season are from the richest leagues
I don’t think it’s that big a deal. 

Poor enough group stage but should be good come the knockouts 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:31pm

I didn’t 
You aren’t happy that all the teams in the CL last 16 this season are from the richest leagues
I don’t think it’s that big a deal. 

Poor enough group stage but should be good come the knockouts 
Again, not quite! Try again!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:34pm
I can’t keep you up any later, you’ve a busy few days ahead of you
Moving to France on Friday 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:37pm

I can’t keep you up any later, you’ve a busy few days ahead of you
Moving to France on Friday 
Why am I moving on Friday? I think I made it very clear that it would be at least six months? Unless you are deliberately misrepresenting me because you want to ignore the point I’m making about a team you like?  If so, that’s silly! I’m more than happy to hang about. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:48pm
Is your point not more to do with the competition that team that I like play in? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 11:59pm

Is your point not more to do with the competition that team that I like play in? 
Technically, you are correct, but I’d say it is hardly a massive leap between the two at all and ignores the more salient point that modern football is predictable.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 12:01am
Modern sport is predictable, and the first rounds of a lot of competition are merely shadow boxing exercises until the latter stages when it livens up and matches are more competitive 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 12:22am

Modern sport is boring 

True.

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 1:48pm
The point is that the teams who have made the last 16 have done so because of transnational structural advantages that have turned the Champions League into a Super League in all but name, with a few crumbs being thrown to the less wealthy nations.

The reason the teams who have made it have done so has less to do with the innate brilliant of their management and a lot more to do with the fact they are able to hoover up whatever talent they want, because they are in the Champions League basically every year and are all but guaranteed to be there again next year, seeing as they are generally able to take advantage of the financial advantages of repeat admission to the Champions League.

If you are manager of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Paris St Germain, Liverpool or Man City and aren't able to finish in the top four of your league, then beat a couple of poorer teams in the group stages, probably including one with 10% of your turnover, you should be sacked for gross misconduct.

At least half of the teams in the last sixteen most seasons are known before the competition starts. The only groups with any real excitement are the ones where you end up with three teams from England, Spain, Germany and Italy, and that's only because of Platini's change that the champions of the top eight countries are seeded. I wouldn't be surprised if the format is changed again in a couple of years so every group only has two teams from the top four countries, ostensibly to ensure "competitive balance" but more to make sure that the ladder that is currently halfway out of the water is pulled the whole way up into the helicopter, and every other f**ker below is left as lunch meat for the sharks.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 2:26pm
I do always laugh at the talk of a Super League. There has essentially been a super League for over 20 years in European football in the form of the champions league. Every few years, it becomes even more concentrated to the top few leagues and clubs. I can see 6-7 teams from the top few leagues in the CL in the not too distant future.

Even better, the fact that all of the wealthiest clubs are also still competing in their domestic competitions and hoovering up those trophies. The notion that the wealthiest clubs will one day break away completely from their domestic leagues is madness. They are currently having their cake and eating it. It would be hilarious to see a real breakaway though, because after a couple of years the novelty would wear off and all of the wealthy clubs would realise that without trophies it's not going to fly long term.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 377378379380381 509>
  Share Topic