Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345346347348349 509>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

To summarise, are City the best English team of all time or not ?

I don't think so.
What do you think?
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I don't think so.
What do you think?
You cant compare eras.

Purely based on football without mentioning budgets.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:00am

I don't think so.
What do you think?
You cant compare eras.

Purely based on football without mentioning budgets.

100%

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:01am

It is a hilarious assertion to make. Terri in his previous posts, seems to be mainly basing it on points totals accumulated over 2 seasons which is such a simplistic way of looking at it. In saying that, the amount of pundits also following that train of thought is frightening.

Back to back titles is a fine achievement. The domestic treble is a great achievement. Without a CL title though, there isn't even a conversation to be had about this City side being the greatest English side of all time. It is a ludicrous notion.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:05am
I don't really see why it matters and why people get so caught up about it.
Gary has sarcastically been calling City the greatest team of all time on here for the last two years. He's the only one I've heard say it, tongue in cheek or not.

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:09am
Terri just said a few posts ago that they are potentially the greatest English side of all time. It's utter nonsense. The points tallies is more nonsense when making that argument.

Don't get me wrong, City are a very good side, buts there is simply no logical reason to make such an assumption about this team.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:11am
Pep Guardiola to be named Juve boss on 4 June according to my unreliable sources.

Man City: He came, he saw, he failed.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:17am

Gary has sarcastically been calling City the greatest team of all time on here for the last two years. He's the only one I've heard say it, tongue in cheek or not.

They've got the most amount of points in a season with 100, so based on that they would be in a with a shout.

The Arsenal team that went unbeaten too should be considering.

It comes down to the criteria.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Terri just said a few posts ago that they are potentially the greatest English side of all time. It's utter nonsense. The points tallies is more nonsense when making that argument.

Don't get me wrong, City are a very good side, buts there is simply no logical reason to make such an assumption about this team.

I thought he said the last 20 years, he said he deliberately said that so not to include the Man United 1999 team.

NB - his posts are too long so I didn't read every word, so apologies if I've got it wrong.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:28am

They aren't English.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Pep Guardiola to be named Juve boss on 4 June according to my unreliable sources.

Man City: He came, he saw, he failed.
LOL, the TT will be his legacy, oh and the drugs, heard he is heading to Dubai for a meet up with git Kinahan 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

They aren't English.
Manchester is in England the last time I looked.
The FA are based in London too !!!

Is Guinness still Irish ?

Is Jaguar still English owned ?
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:42pm

Gary has sarcastically been calling City the greatest team of all
Only slightly tongue in cheek.
Mocking various pundits really.

Anyway they are a fantastic team and never nasty like say Dirty Leeds, Ferguson or Maureen teams.

To be truly considered they need to win a European Cup but then again Chelsea won one and werent given that accolade.

I love Pep as you know as he is a fellow disciple of the Great One and I questioned him after his reign at Munich BEFORE he arrived at Slave Trader Central.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:52pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

They aren't English.
Manchester is in England the last time I looked.
The FA are based in London too !!!

Is Guinness still Irish ?

Is Jaguar still English owned ?
They play in Manchester because they have to, for now. I live in England too. I am more English than Manchester City!LOL

Don't think Guinness was ever really Irish, it was just excellent marketing

No idea,I would guess not, but I  don't  really give a f**k
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:01pm
Umm Guinness is Irish, it was made by someone born in Ireland in Ireland meaning it is Irish
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Umm Guinness is Irish, it was made by someone born in Ireland in Ireland meaning it is Irish

under the constitution being born in ireland is no guarantee of irishness 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

It is a hilarious assertion to make. Terri in his previous posts, seems to be mainly basing it on points totals accumulated over 2 seasons which is such a simplistic way of looking at it. In saying that, the amount of pundits also following that train of thought is frightening.

Back to back titles is a fine achievement. The domestic treble is a great achievement. Without a CL title though, there isn't even a conversation to be had about this City side being the greatest English side of all time. It is a ludicrous notion.
Once again, you're making things up.

I never said City are the greatest English team ever. What I said was that based on consistent excellence (and trophies) over three seasons/150+ matches, they're the best English team in the last 20 years.

I deliberately stopped at 20 years, out of respect for the MU team of 1998/99 who, if one can ever properly compare teams from different eras, I freely acknowledged to be in the same category, if not arguably greater.

As for City's failure to complete the quadruple ("failure" and "quadruple" in the same phrase, imagine that!), I do not think that that detracts from their status, since in a knockout competition, dumb luck can always reward or punish any team.

On which point, just read what Schmeichel had to say about the influence of luck in their treble-winning season!
"In the end, at the highest, highest level, it is one stroke of luck that separates you." 

Edited by Territorial - 23 May 2019 at 1:58pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:59pm
Luck indeed, like United’s deflected winner denying Liverpool the Big Treble in 1977.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345346347348349 509>
  Share Topic