Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Man City Thread*******

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 266267268269270 509>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

For the first game of the La Liga season Real and Barca both had lower league attendance than City did at the Etihad.
Most Spanish are on their holliers on the islands in August Wink
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 5:05pm

For the first game of the La Liga season Real and Barca both had lower league attendance than City did at the Etihad.

That's a very specific sample survey you have undertaken Smile

Both Barca and Real had an average of more than 10k more through their gates during 17/18 season. 
El Puto Amo
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 5:08pm
I'm not sure how another countries attendances is relevant to the fact Man City has one of the weakest fanbases in England.
Man City's average attendance last season was 46,800 which is still one of the biggest in England but % wise it's near the bottom in England, when you're missing 10,000 heads every game in a season where you've broken the points and scored records there's something badly wrong.

I recall a conversation I had with a Man City fan when I was at working at the Stadium of Light with a ST holder from the 80's. less than 3 hour trip on the road, easy 3 points, should be 3000+ sold easy but there only 600 and I asked why and there's a pick and choose environment and ignorance among the fanbase. 
He also noted that City hadn't sold out their allocation for the League Cup final the following week either because the general mindset was why stump up all that cash for a League Cup final when you can do it for a FA Cup final instead. 
Unlucky for them they haven't reached a FA Cup final for nearly a decade to this day but it highlights the ignorance of turning up to support your team.

Edited by coyne - 13 Sep 2018 at 5:09pm
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 6:40pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Barcelona and Real Madrid can't fill their stadium for many games either

Their stadiums are nearly double the size of The Etihad in fairness.
I’ve heard that some City supporters can’t really identify with the modern incarnation of the club and I can understand that. Reading Niall Quinn’s book, it gave a deadly insight into the old training set up and Maine road. He loved the character of the place and the community vibe. 

I personally love watching City play but I can see how an older local might see their project as a soulless venture in comparison to what they had. It’s the price of progress I suppose 
David Conn's excellent book, 'Richer Than God' describes this brilliantly.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 7:38pm
What's the harm really, they had 28k average attendance in League 2, to me it just shows how loyal the fanbase is.
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 7:57pm
Even the official attendance figures are massaged a bit Tongue

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45158878
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 8:00pm

Was that City's made up figures or something more official Wink

*I know plenty of clubs are at similar.

Edited by rossieman - 13 Sep 2018 at 8:01pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Barcelona and Real Madrid can't fill their stadium for many games either

Their stadiums are nearly double the size of The Etihad in fairness.
I’ve heard that some City supporters can’t really identify with the modern incarnation of the club and I can understand that. Reading Niall Quinn’s book, it gave a deadly insight into the old training set up and Maine road. He loved the character of the place and the community vibe. 

I personally love watching City play but I can see how an older local might see their project as a soulless venture in comparison to what they had. It’s the price of progress I suppose 
David Conn's excellent book, 'Richer Than God' describes this brilliantly.

I like David Conn so I’ll defo check this out. Nice one for the recommendation 
El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 10:35pm
I think it is his best work as it is very personal.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 11:12pm

That's a very specific sample survey you have undertaken Smile

Both Barca and Real had an average of more than 10k more through their gates during 17/18 season. 

It wasn’t really, as I said in my initial post, these two clubs, the biggest two clubs in the world, have plenty of empty seats at matches week in week out. 
You said their stadium is a lot bigger than City’s which of course is true; so I pointed to the attendance figures of one of their games so far this season. Not even half full. 

My point was that every team has empty seats, but only City get mocked for it. Ah well, rival fans need something to point to these days I suppose.

Anyway, we’ve digressed from the clubs financial figures being released today. The truth of the matter is that ticket sales don’t matter that much at that level of the game. It’s all about TV money and commercial deals. 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 13 Sep 2018 at 11:15pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

What's the harm really, they had 28k average attendance in League 2, to me it just shows how loyal the fanbase is.

Yep, as I said it isn’t a massive fan base. They were getting 32k for some games in the third tier in the 90s, and are getting only 13k more than that nowadays for some games. 
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 8:42am

My point was that every team has empty seats, but only City get mocked for it. 

I think they get mocked for it because for years they always went on about how no one in Manchester supports United, they all support city and so on. That's now being shown up as crap. 

Apart from that, it's quite strange that with all the Arabs have bought for them and with the team been the best it's ever been, they still can't sell out games. They've even had to resort to heavily discounted tickets and buy one get one free plus other promotions like a free shirt and so on. 

I'd find it hard to believe that the likes of Newcastle, Everton, Villa and so on wouldn't sell out their games. It's a strange one. Even band wagon jumpers and tourists aren't arsed with it. 

Edited by Ibaraki - 14 Sep 2018 at 8:46am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:17am
At the end of the day in a few years City will earn more then Man U without a single fan attending any games.

A lot of their commercial deals are from the UAE which their owner has significant power over. 
It’s just a method of getting past the FFP. 

If Pep stays with them long term we could see a period of significant dominance. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

At the end of the day in a few years City will earn more then Man U without a single fan attending any games.

A lot of their commercial deals are from the UAE which their owner has significant power over. 
It’s just a method of getting past the FFP. 

If Pep stays with them long term we could see a period of significant dominance. 

This is intriguing. The Man City project has been pretty much purpose built for Pep. He's the best in the world, has an endless supply of cash, the whole support of the board and amazing infrastructure already in place. It will be interesting to see where he can go with this. 

El Puto Amo
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

LOL

The Arab owner threw in an extra £58m this year so they could make a £10m profit. In any other business that's a £48m loss.

That's before you even take into account the"unusual deals" like the women's team paying £20m for the privilege of using the city name (or something daft like that). 

City fans going on about commercial revenue Embarrassed they've become everything they claimed to hate Clap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:10pm
I wonder what team Ibaraki supports.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:11pm
Football finance expert David Bick to Sky: "I've spoken before about the figures over the last few years at City, and they just keep getting better. And although I hesitate to say this in absolute terms, I think they are fast becoming the strongest football club in the country."
"Despite the fact that they have got perhaps the most expensive squad, their turnover to wages ratio is just 52 per cent and sort of bang on where it should be."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 266267268269270 509>
  Share Topic