You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rangers supporters in Ireland thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScotsIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 4:50pm
Hadn't planned on bringing the hoops to Poland, I am now!
Sponsored Links

Jbyrne View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

My concern is that an element of Celtic supporters seem to think it is OK to show up at our games wearing their Celtic gear and singing IRA songs.  Apart from being offensive they also have the potential to drag the name of our fans through the mud.    We have fans who support Rangers/Man Utd/ Leeds/ Liverpool/etc etc but they seem to be able to leave club allegiances aside  in support of the national team., 

nail on the head with this post.

many of these fans seem to be under the illusion that supporting Celtic and us are one and the same and therefore gives them another arena to sing their rubbish. RA chants (like i heard beside me in both play off legs) started by these fools have no place at our games
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 4:54pm
I think all of this singing of old rebel songs and recent IRA songs is very complicated I must say.  Easiest thing is just join in to what you want to join in with and if someone else wants to sing a song you don't like, leave em be.  No need to be abusing people for singing rebel songs and no need for people to abuse people for not singing either. 

Its not that hard to have a lassiz faire attitude to it really.  If you like the songs and you know the words sing them. If you dont like them and you don't feel they represent you, dont sing them. 
AKA pedantic kunt
reabhloid View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reabhloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Jbyrne Jbyrne wrote:

My concern is that an element of Celtic supporters seem to think it is OK to show up at our games wearing their Celtic gear and singing IRA songs.  Apart from being offensive they also have the potential to drag the name of our fans through the mud.    We have fans who support Rangers/Man Utd/ Leeds/ Liverpool/etc etc but they seem to be able to leave club allegiances aside  in support of the national team., 

nail on the head with this post.

many of these fans seem to be under the illusion that supporting Celtic and us are one and the same and therefore gives them another arena to sing their rubbish. RA chants (like i heard beside me in both play off legs) started by these fools have no place at our games
better to get rid of the national anthem and the tri colour then at matches.. both are RA publican..?
conor253 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conor253 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 5:21pm

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

@ gspain i pulled you up on a few things yesterday but you failed to reply because you had no answer , which is fair enough.

You really must read these articles , your case for defending Rangers actions really gets shown up if it wasn't already. 

Irish people sticking up for a club who was anti-Irish and anti-Catholic for years and years , i really don't get it Confused

Remind me where I said Rangers didn't have a sectarian element or indeed a hooligan element. 

I'm not defending Rangers.  I just think a certain Celtic element try to twist the debate to make it an anti Irish thing as Rangers can't really throw it back and say Celtic are anti British. 

Sorry but who do you think you are to tell people what they can and can't wear to a football game?
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by jackshat jackshat wrote:

No harm to him but what a bollox he is. I have little doubt in my mind he went out that day with the sole intention of causing trouble, I'm glad it sounds like he was unsuccessful. 

The GAA and Rangers are the same mentality from different tribes. They have a huge amount in common.
Jbyrne View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by reabhloid reabhloid wrote:

better to get rid of the national anthem and the tri colour then at matches.. both are RA publican..?

actually the Irish flag represents peace (white) between nationalists (green) and unionists (orange)

Edited by Jbyrne - 19 Apr 2012 at 5:44pm
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

is it just Celtic fans among the Ireland support that sing these IRA songs you speak of?

We don't have a problem with such songs yet by and large but Celtic clearly do and I don't want the good name of our support dragged through the mud.

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 6:45pm

actually the Irish flag represents peace (white) between nationalists (green) and unionists (orange)

Who are you to tell me what I can and cant sing?

I dont support Celtic. I dont support the IRA. I sing rebel songs because they are quality tunes. I go to matches to support the team. Its this kind of stereotypical sh!te that really is pathetic.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

I dont support Celtic. I dont support the IRA. I sing rebel songs because they are quality tunes. I go to matches to support the team. Its this kind of stereotypical sh!te that really is pathetic.

UEFA decide what can and can't be sung in games played under their jurisdiction.  Celtic have already been fined by them for IRA chanting. 

IRA songs have nothing to do with supporting the team.

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 7:12pm

Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

UEFA decide what can and can't be sung in games played under their jurisdiction.  Celtic have already been fined by them for IRA chanting. 

IRA songs have nothing to do with supporting the team.

I have never sung them in the stadium. I have sung them in bars and pubs in foreign countriesas I have the right to, as I have in pubs in Dublin and often do at house sessions. Saying that, if any one was started Id happily sing along. As I said on the YNWA thread I could care less what is sung, nursery rhymes if it adds a bit of atmosphere. Sure in Andorra were we not singing Be Not Afraid.. Just Cant Get Enough has nothing to do with supporting the team either if your logic is being used.

Anyone that sees it as sectarian is living in the past imo. If people have a problem with a song, its not my problem. Those who reognise immediately these songs as sectarian are the ones with the problem. I certainly dont match the 2.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 7:17pm
Lads is an IRA song the same as a Republican song.

Are all Republican songs the same.  Which sons were banned by UEFA that got Celtic into trouble. 

AKA pedantic kunt
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Lads is an IRA song the same as a Republican song.

Are all Republican songs the same.  Which sons were banned by UEFA that got Celtic into trouble. 

I dont know. I dont and most of my age I know dont associate the songs with either. People on this thread are living in the past.

On a side note, Celtic Symphony creates some atmosphere amongst the Celtic fans. Very easy to change the chorus from "OOH AHH UP THE RA" to "OOH AHH UP TRAPPA". Might upset a few people still living amidst the years of the conflict
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by ScotsIrish ScotsIrish wrote:

Why?? This is the European Championships son, not Celtic away to Clydebank in the Scottish Cup.

Celtic jerseys for Celtic matches, Ireland jerseys for Ireland matches.

Back on topic, Peter McMahon was the lad whose Dad wouldn't let him sign for Rangers. My cousin also had a trial at Rangers as well

Edited by Blue Man - 19 Apr 2012 at 7:58pm
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
reabhloid View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reabhloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

Why?? This is the European Championships son, not Celtic away to Clydebank in the Scottish Cup.

Back on topic, Peter McMahon was the lad whose Dad wouldn't let him sign for Rangers. My cousin also had a trial at Rangers as well

and no american jeans or chinese shoes at ireland matches either
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:15pm

Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

and no american jeans or chinese shoes at ireland matches either

Confused

He's making a conscious decision to take his Celtic gear as a direct response to this thread. 
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
reabhloid View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reabhloid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:31pm
and no irish rugby tops at ireland matches either... rugby has nothing got to do with soccer
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:50pm
I am of the view you should wear your ireland gear to and Ireland game, but its also a free country so you can do the hell what ever you want. 

But just as its a free world to wear a scarf indoors or wear a hat indoors, its also a free world for me to think that they are a dick for  doing so.
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic