Whos with me?

Rangers Billy

-------------
Lagan Valley Loyal

No Surrender

Replies:
Posted By: cabbageandbacon
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 4:25pm
My cousin in Belfast, he's also an Ireland supporter and loves rebel music. Strange mix that i thought, but hey he's a bit of tool anyway.

Though would YOU consider Belfast as being in Ireland? Wacko

If you don't want him then you can claim the Dublin Loyal, a collection of muppets who hold their prize giving evenings up North just in case someone shouts at them in the Capital.

-------------
Twitter: @ghosty1879

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 5:33pm
Crossmaglen rangers all the way, im inThumbs Up

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 5:45pm
Is young Smith any closer to making a debut?

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:22pm
An old friend of mine was a massive Rangers supporter.

He was a cúnt.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: EastTerracer
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:32pm
I saw a lad on Hill 16 wearing a Rangers jersey many years ago - nobody gave him any grief and he got on grand with all the Dubs supporters. 

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:44pm
Only know one person in Galway who is a rangers fan..

Bit of a knob

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Posted By: jackshat
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by EastTerracer EastTerracer wrote:

I saw a lad on Hill 16 wearing a Rangers jersey many years ago - nobody gave him any grief and he got on grand with all the Dubs supporters. 

No harm to him but what a bollox he is. I have little doubt in my mind he went out that day with the sole intention of causing trouble, I'm glad it sounds like he was unsuccessful. 

-------------
It's Jack Shat

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 11:10pm
neighbour supported them and so do his kids, lad died last year though, don't see the harm in it

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

An old friend of mine was a massive Rangers supporter.

He was a cúnt.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 11:18pm
How anyone can take this thread seriously is beyond me.

Isn't it ironic "Rangers Billy" aka a ybig forum member with a second profile , resurfaces when there's drama on one of the threads involving Celtic?

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:14am
Seem to remember the Dublin Loyal RSC had a banner at Ibrox a while ago that said "Behind Enemy Lines". Seems the banner was banned by Strathclydes finest.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: reder
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:10am
In the gym last night, the lad beside me had a Rangers jersey. No problem with Rangers fans at all myself. Was at the UEFA cup final in Manchester and they were grand. 

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:29am
Originally posted by IrishPride IrishPride wrote:

Bit of a knob

Not sure if he posts on here but one of our regular away fans in the past and was a big Galway United fan is a Rangers fan and he is certainly not a knob.   

Posted By: ScotsIrish
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:34am
Not sure if he posts on here but one of our regular away fans in the past and was a big Galway United fan is a Rangers fan and he is certainly not a knob.   
Who will he support now? Both clubs are dead!

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:36am
Not winding up here, and i know this thread was started as one of those completely unfunny and at this stage played out ybig 'jokes', however, are these people from Galway, Dublin or wherever that you know who support the Huns serious fans or just doing it for a bit of attention seeking and winding up?

do they support ireland as well?
What do they think of every Irish international that plays at Ibrox being roundly booed for example?

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Not winding up here, and i know this thread was started as one of those completely unfunny and at this stage played out ybig 'jokes', however, are these people from Galway, Dublin or wherever that you know who support the Huns serious fans or just doing it for a bit of attention seeking and winding up?

What do they think of every Irish international that plays at Ibrox being roundly booed for example?
Maybe there father or grandfather was a Rangers fan,and it was passed down
Its not that inconceivable is it?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:43am

My friend is a massive Rangers supporter living in Donegal. It was passed down from his father, like the rest of his family. They were originally from Glasgow but moved here. His youngest brother was born in Ireland and supports both Rangers & Ireland as much as the other.

I know what you mean though about people doing it for the craic, one person back home wore a Rangers jersey just to rise celtic fans like myself.

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:43am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Maybe there father or grandfather was a Rangers fan,and it was passed down
Its not that inconceivable is it?

its a tad strange for any irish person to start supporting Rangers in the first place. A club that has an open hatred for everything irish, but then again there are a lot of strange people about

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

My friend is a massive Rangers supporter living in Donegal. It was passed down from his father, like the rest of his family. They were originally from Glasgow but moved here. His youngest brother was born in Ireland and supports both Rangers & Ireland as much as the other.

I know what you mean though about people doing it for the craic, one person back home wore a Rangers jersey just to rise celtic fans like myself.

thats conceivable then to be fair, if the family are originally from Glasgow and it was passed down

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:46am

The chap I use to hang around with was a sap! - but we were only 16 and he use to drink McEvans larger as well.

I have no idea what possessed him to support Rangers but he did.
I've a feeling he may have done it as a wind up but I am also sure he got bullied a lot.
He was the bullying type - fat, Rangers fan, sh*te at sport etc..

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Rangers Billy 2012
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:51am
Hello Hello we are the Billy boys
Hello Hello we are the Billy boys
We're up to our knees in fenian blood
Surrender or youll die
For we are the Bridgeton derry boys

-------------
Lagan Valley Loyal

No Surrender

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:51am
Richie Sadlier alawys worn one as a young fella,fact

-------------

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:01am
Originally posted by reder reder wrote:

In the gym last night, the lad beside me had a Rangers jersey. No problem with Rangers fans at all myself. Was at the UEFA cup final in Manchester and they were grand

Embarrassed

Surely youre taking the piss?

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Posted By: Rangers Billy 2012
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:07am
We smashed Manchester up good that night big man

-------------
Lagan Valley Loyal

No Surrender

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:07am
Alan maybury was a rangers fan when he was young or that may ve been hearts actually.

-------------

Posted By: The Big Club
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Rangers Billy 2012 Rangers Billy 2012 wrote:

We smashed Manchester up good that night big man

LOL

Stephen Mcguiness is one iswell but i think we all knew he was an attention seeking goon long ago

LOL

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:11am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Alan maybury was a rangers fan when he was young or that may ve been hearts actually.
Dunno bout that,was linked with(could have had a trial) Rangers and later played for Hearts(i think)

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:14am
heard Maybury was a rangers fan too. Brian Kerr rumoured to be one as well

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:17am
Maybury could well have been a Rangers fan. I lad I used to work with was in his class in school and he went to a protestant school on the northside.

A chap on a forum I used to post on was a big UCD, Ireland and Rangers fan. I think Dublinger was his username. He said his old man was a Rangers fan and it was passed down to him. One of my mates was also a Rangers fan, his Grandfather was Scottish and all his family were Rangers fans. He stopped following them after his first visit to Glasgow.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:19am

Brian Kerr is a Rangers fan as was his father and grandfather.  3 recent Irish Internationals Ritchie Sadlier, Alan Maybury and a 3rd who hasn't gone public are/were Rangers fans. 

I know quite a few Rangers fans in the Republic and they are as serious as your average Man United or Liverpool fan eg 1 home game every couple of seasons and watch the games on tv. 

I know of one of our regular aways fans under Jack who also followed Rangers everywhere at the time incl numerous european aways.  Haven't seen him at any of our games recently.

I know of a family of season ticket holders in the Aviva who went to Ibrox at least once this season and do follow Rangers - father went a bit more often before he had the kids.  

A former colleague goes to most home games and went to Japan(his only aways afaik although he could well be in Poland) and went to quite a few Rangers games.

Just because Rangers fans don't feel the need to show their British club allegiances at RoI games doesn't mean they don't exist. 

Spare me the anti Irish rubbish.  Rangers fans are anti Celtic (I wonder why Big smile) not anti Irish.

Posted By: The Big Club
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:21am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Brian Kerr is a Rangers fan as was his father and grandfather.  3 recent Irish Internationals Ritchie Sadlier, Alan Maybury and a 3rd who hasn't gone public are/were Rangers fans. 

I know quite a few Rangers fans in the Republic and they are as serious as your average Man United or Liverpool fan eg 1 home game every couple of seasons and watch the games on tv. 

I know of one of our regular aways fans under Jack who also followed Rangers everywhere at the time incl numerous european aways.  Haven't seen him at any of our games recently.

I know of a family of season ticket holders in the Aviva who went to Ibrox at least once this season and do follow Rangers - father went a bit more often before he had the kids.  

A former colleague goes to most home games and went to Japan(his only aways afaik although he could well be in Poland) and went to quite a few Rangers games.

Just because Rangers fans don't feel the need to show their British club allegiances at RoI games doesn't mean they don't exist. 

Spare me the anti Irish rubbish.  Rangers fans are anti Celtic (I wonder why Big smile) not anti Irish.

Dont see how any Irish fan could sit in a s tand and listen to people sl*g our biggest loss of life ever.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:36am
the 3rd is probably Stephen Ireland

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:37am
Its a funny combination being a rangers fan and an ireland fan.id love to meet one at the aways.honestly though it would be very difficult to stomach their chants and banners after awhile.i remember being seething   at wembley when united played portsmouth in the charity shield a few years ago and when o shea misjudged a bounce,this united fan in front of me stood up and shouted O Shea ya Irish prick but that would be a rarity in uniteds support compared to what rangers would spout on a much larger scale.i wouldnt stick it if a club i supported as a kid had a noturious anti irish aspect, i wouldnt be long dropping them tbh

-------------

Posted By: Jbyrne
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:50am

or every rangers player (or player our fans thinks played for rangers!) getting booed when they play for their country in lansdowne? 

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:52am
Chris Turner is a Rangers fan

Know 2 lads in Galway who are Rangers fans.

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Jbyrne Jbyrne wrote:

or every rangers player (or player our fans thinks played for rangers!) getting booed when they play for their country in lansdowne? 
I don't recall any huns getting booed when we played Scotland last year.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by reder reder wrote:

In the gym last night, the lad beside me had a Rangers jersey. No problem with Rangers fans at all myself. Was at the UEFA cup final in Manchester and they were grand. 

2 of my mates were over for that too. They got the tickets in that uefa lottery thing and were in the rangers end! They were drinking with rangers supporters all day and night and had a great time with them!

(theyre not rangers fans themselves, but do hate celtic!)

They actually didn’t know how bad the riots were until the next day on the tv, and were surprised as they didn’t think it was that bad on the day!

Have another mate who supported rangers as a kid. Wasn’t to wind up anyone, just because they were winning and were good to watch I’d guess (time with mcccoist,hateley,etc). He always wore his rangers jersey on the green in the estate playing football without anyone saying anything to him! (must admit I enjoyed watching rangers that time too – theyd a great battle with leeds in Europe then too!!)

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by The Big Club The Big Club wrote:

Dont see how any Irish fan could sit in a s tand and listen to people sl*g our biggest loss of life ever.

Exactly what I was thinking. To sit in Ibrox and mock the biggest disaster ever to happen to our country and how you are "up to your knees in Fenian blood"? No thanks

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 12:18pm

i do think thats pathetic seeing as the irish fans have a good name abroad to boo rangers players.ffs when the irish fans booed claudio reyna he wasnt even a rangers player anymore.i remember watching it on tv and george hamilton even commenting that he doesnt even play for rangers now.even hamilton was disappointed in the booing.
I think it was a misty day and ireland lost 2-1 to the US that day AFAIK

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 12:29pm
sure sections of the celtic brigade of our fans are so stupid they continually booed two differant peter lovenkrands when we played denmark in a friendly. the PA wrongly announced lovenkrands coming on as a sub and the wrong player was still booed anyway. when lovenkrands did eventually come on both were booed. embarrasing and pathetic really

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 12:44pm

sure sections of the celtic brigade of our fans are so stupid they continually booed two differant peter lovenkrands when we played denmark in a friendly. the PA wrongly announced lovenkrands coming on as a sub and the wrong player was still booed anyway. when lovenkrands did eventually come on both were booed. embarrasing and pathetic really

ffs.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 1:23pm

ffs.
Jb, when the PA anouncer made his correction, that it was Peter Madsen and not Peter Lovenkrands that came on, he was cheered every time he touched the ball. Selective memory you have and you also didn't ackonowledge my previous post that no rangers players were booed when we played Scotland last year.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

ffs.
Jb, when the PA anouncer made his correction, that it was Peter Madsen and not Peter Lovenkrands that came on, he was cheered every time he touched the ball. Selective memory you have and you also didn't ackonowledge my previous post that no rangers players were booed when we played Scotland last year.

the gist of the story is correct. in fact i dont think that it was until the PA made the correction that he got any cheer.

pat on the back for non booing of scotland rangers players. probably the first time in years this happened at lansdowne, if it did.

Posted By: cabbageandbacon
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 1:45pm
Alan Kernaghan is currently a youth team coach at Rangers (IA).

-------------
Twitter: @ghosty1879

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 1:45pm
Wasent at the scotland game but they were booing steve davis at the nordie game.their handful of fans with their union jacks behind the sh*t goal stand was an eyesore

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 1:47pm

Wasent at the scotland game but they were booing steve davis at the nordie game.their handful of fans with their union jacks behind the sh*t goal stand was an eyesore
In fairness, there was a lot of Ireland "fans" at that game who never been to a Ireland match before or since.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 1:55pm

Bit of a knob

The fella i know didn't support Galway united or got o Ireland away games so I dont think your thinking of the same personConfused...

Anyway this fella only supported Rangers purely for the wind up and attention, So i don't know if he could be really described as a true fan.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 1:59pm

You need to brush up on your knowledge Embarrassed I can stay here all day and post up fact after fact , link after link if you want.

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=217185" rel="nofollow - http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=217185

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asWhyP1Fso&feature=related" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asWhyP1Fso&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyNU608RuF4" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyNU608RuF4

Do you not remember Rangers no signing Catholics policy? Now don't tell me that wasn't just a cover up to not sign Irish players , a club who has openly adopted "No Surrender" , Rangers in total haven't had more than 8 Irish players on their books in their history etc etc yet another clueless post from a person who knows f**k all about Scottish football!

Plenty of Rangers fans kicked up over the signing of Alan Smith "the fenian" so iv'e seen him called.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:01pm
Thankfully there hasn't been any booing of Rangers players in recent years.  Arveladze in 2003 is the last I can recall. 

The Denamrk 2002 was particularly embarrassing becasue I'd arranged tickets for a group of Danish coilleagues and their families and we endured a moron in a top of a certain British club calling Madsen a "dirty proddie" among others. 

The moronic bigots who booed him and the real Rangers players can't have been big Celtic fans anyway as he looked totally different to Lovenkrands and he had scored twice v Celtic not long before that. 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:02pm
I think all opposition players should be booed. Would create a good intimidating atmosphere

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:09pm
I have no time for booing players , i really don't like it.

But seeing as we're all Irish fans is booing Paul Green and Paul McShane not worse than the odd "Celtic fan" booing an ex or current Rangers player if there happens to be one on the opposing team?

-------------

Posted By: eire32
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:12pm
good mate of mine is a rangers fan! sound man and all.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

But seeing as we're all Irish fans is booing Paul Green and Paul McShane not worse than the odd "Celtic fan" booing an ex or current Rangers player if there happens to be one on the opposing team?

never heard either being booed.

it was never an "odd" celtic fan booing rangers players. in fact a load of northen celtic fans turned up to the match last year against the north with the sole purpose of abusing the norths players. was unfortunately right beside them

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:42pm

I think all opposition players should be booed. Would create a good intimidating atmosphere

no problem booing opposing players be it star players or dirty players.  However booing them because they play for a rival British club to the one you support is sick.

Posted By: ScotsIrish
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:43pm
Bit of a rangers love in this, a taxi driver (rangers fan) won't even speak to you when they hear the Irish accent, walk into the wrong pub with an Irish accent, you won't be walking out! I'm sure there are loads of rangers fans here, how many have been to a game and if they did how many would go back!

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:48pm

it was never an "odd" celtic fan booing rangers players. in fact a load of northen celtic fans turned up to the match last year against the north with the sole purpose of abusing the norths players. was unfortunately right beside them

Green was booed (not deafening boo's now) where i was sitting for the Czech game.

But there was only one Rangers players on the pitch when Ireland played the North , this was not an Old Firm game you see those "Celtic fans" were at the game as Ireland fans , so in fact it was Irish fans booing Northern Irish players. 

-------------

Posted By: Spudgunn1980
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:49pm

[QUOTE=Roberto Baggio]Spare me the anti Irish rubbish.  Rangers fans are anti Celtic (I wonder why Big smile) not anti Irish.
You've obviously never heard the famine song!!

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Spudgunn1980 Spudgunn1980 wrote:

[QUOTE=Roberto Baggio]Spare me the anti Irish rubbish.  Rangers fans are anti Celtic (I wonder why Big smile) not anti Irish.

I posted up a comment in the previous page highlighting that , but did he reply no. When you have an answer the majority won't write back because they have no answer to give back , which shows up their lack of knowledge on the subject.

Why do they bother Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 2:58pm
I don't see why people are making a big deal out of booing a player. It's not a big deal.
I see Suarez gets booed at every ground he plays at, and I am sure other players gets booed as well. (Awaits chorus of Suarez is a ****s etc..)

It's not behavior I engage in but I've no issues with it.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:02pm

I don't see why people are making a big deal out of booing a player. It's not a big deal.
I see Suarez gets booed at every ground he plays at, and I am sure other players gets booed as well. (Awaits chorus of Suarez is a ****s etc..)

Its just to have a go at Celtic really , you pull any of the Celtic haters up or prove them wrong and they don't reply very sad really.

-------------

Posted By: Spudgunn1980
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:15pm

Originally posted by Spudgunn1980 Spudgunn1980 wrote:

I posted up a comment in the previous page highlighting that , but did he reply no. When you have an answer the majority won't write back because they have no answer to give back , which shows up their lack of knowledge on the subject.

Why do they bother Embarrassed
Its so sad that their dislike of a club seems to blur the facts in their heads. 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:19pm

You need to brush up on your knowledge Embarrassed I can stay here all day and post up fact after fact , link after link if you want.

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=217185" rel="nofollow - http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=217185

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asWhyP1Fso&feature=related" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asWhyP1Fso&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyNU608RuF4" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyNU608RuF4

Do you not remember Rangers no signing Catholics policy? Now don't tell me that wasn't just a cover up to not sign Irish players , a club who has openly adopted "No Surrender" , Rangers in total haven't had more than 8 Irish players on their books in their history etc etc yet another clueless post from a person who knows f**k all about Scottish football!

Plenty of Rangers fans kicked up over the signing of Alan Smith "the fenian" so iv'e seen him called.

It is almost certain Rangers did operate a "no catholics" policy from at least the 1950's to the 1980's.  I fail to see how that could be anti Irish as opposed to anti Spanish.  They have since signed a number of RC players and tried to sign a number of Irish players.

The Billy Boys is certainly sectarian and there is no doubt there is a sectarian minority to the Rangers support.  Likewise the Celtic support has a sectarian minority

Rangers have an active supporters club in Dublin.

I've heard the anti Irish jibe thrown at a number of British clubs funnily enough incl Sunderland.  There was certainly an anti Irish element in Britain in the past and some of it would have manifested itself in football.    However an element of the Celtic support trying to portray Rangers as anti Irish doesn't hold water in my book and is merely trying to extend what is a club rivalry and try and obtain some moral high ground.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:36pm

It is almost certain Rangers did operate a "no catholics" policy from at least the 1950's to the 1980's.  I fail to see how that could be anti Irish as opposed to anti Spanish.  They have since signed a number of RC players and tried to sign a number of Irish players.

The Billy Boys is certainly sectarian and there is no doubt there is a sectarian minority to the Rangers support.  Likewise the Celtic support has a sectarian minority

I've heard the anti Irish jibe thrown at a number of British clubs funnily enough incl Sunderland.  There was certainly an anti Irish element in Britain in the past and some of it would have manifested itself in football.    However an element of the Celtic support trying to portray Rangers as anti Irish doesn't hold water in my book and is merely trying to extend what is a club rivalry and try and obtain some moral high ground.

It is certain.

How many foreign players were moving to British clubs in the 80s ffs , thats a petty reason.

There was a limited number of foreign players allowed play per team also so to compare Irish and Spanish players at that time is nonsense.

LOL ?????? Who have Rangers genuinely tried to sign thats Irish , no media bullsh*t i want hard evidence as too what Irish players Rangers made bids for in the past 20 years. Bearing in mind you said "a number" of players.

A minority are you taking the piss? Confused

Rangers were always anti-Irish and anti-Catholic , funny how their biggest rivals were pro-Irish and supported by a majority Catholic fan base but were also open to Protestant players , fans and managers to join the club.

Rangers havent had 10 Irish players in their history to have togged out for them in a 130 years , now don't start comparing the likes of Doncaster or West Brom (for example) with Rangers when it comes to not signing Irish players because i'm not buying it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:46pm

Green was booed (not deafening boo's now) where i was sitting for the Czech game.

But there was only one Rangers players on the pitch when Ireland played the North , this was not an Old Firm game you see those "Celtic fans" were at the game as Ireland fans , so in fact it was Irish fans booing Northern Irish players. 

funny they only came to the match against the north. i sit in an area with season ticket holders and never seen these lads before or since. also, what has the celtic jerseys and flags they had got to do with supporting Ireland??

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:50pm

Its just to have a go at Celtic really , you pull any of the Celtic haters up or prove them wrong and they don't reply very sad really.

this is the post that brought us on to booing players. cant have it both ways

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:54pm

funny they only came to the match against the north. i sit in an area with season ticket holders and never seen these lads before or since. also, what has the celtic jerseys and flags they had got to do with supporting Ireland??

So does an item of clothing define a supporter Confused

I could wear an Australian rugby jersey to the game against Bosnia , does that mean i'm not supporting Ireland Confused

-------------

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:57pm
I remember seeing a Kerry jersey at a Liverpool match before! while it was odd enough, i wasn't in any doubt who he was supporting that day

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:07pm

Linfield jersey in the middle of the Nothern Irish support , what has that got to do with supporting Northern Ireland? Oh wait , there were Linfield players playing.

Darren O'Dea on the books of Celtic , not to mention Given and Keane are two ex Celtic players who could be the boyhood hero's of Celtic/Irish fans at that game. So is there any difference between a Linfield N.I. fan wearing his jersey with pride while still supporting N.I. , to a Celtic fan wearing a Celtic top with pride while supporting Ireland? Especially when there are current and ex players of both clubs on the pitch?

Did you also not think given the recession , some people may not have the money to buy both Ireland and Celtic jerseys or whatever jersey whenever they feel? 

P.S. in an ideal world i'd love if everyone would wear Ireland jerseys to the games , but an item of clothing doesnt always define a supporter! 

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:40pm

It is certain.

How many foreign players were moving to British clubs in the 80s ffs , thats a petty reason.

There was a limited number of foreign players allowed play per team also so to compare Irish and Spanish players at that time is nonsense.

LOL ?????? Who have Rangers genuinely tried to sign thats Irish , no media bullsh*t i want hard evidence as too what Irish players Rangers made bids for in the past 20 years. Bearing in mind you said "a number" of players.

A minority are you taking the piss? Confused

Rangers were always anti-Irish and anti-Catholic , funny how their biggest rivals were pro-Irish and supported by a majority Catholic fan base but were also open to Protestant players , fans and managers to join the club.

Rangers havent had 10 Irish players in their history to have togged out for them in a 130 years , now don't start comparing the likes of Doncaster or West Brom (for example) with Rangers when it comes to not signing Irish players because i'm not buying it. 

If there was an anti Irish policy at Rangers rather than an anti Catholic one surely it would be easier to cover it up by signing Scottish and English Catholics. 

They actually tried to sign Kevin Sheedy and Andy O'Brien at least.  In both cases the player refused late in the day.  As has been mentioned Alan smith is on their books and Alan Kernaghan is on the coaching staff.  The also tried to sign a guy from the north east a couple of years ago and he had to pull out because of local bigots threatening him.  Can't recall the name but I'm sur ehte article is out on the web somewhere.     

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:44pm

Linfield jersey in the middle of the Nothern Irish support , what has that got to do with supporting Northern Ireland? Oh wait , there were Linfield players playing.

Darren O'Dea on the books of Celtic , not to mention Given and Keane are two ex Celtic players who could be the boyhood hero's of Celtic/Irish fans at that game. So is there any difference between a Linfield N.I. fan wearing his jersey with pride while still supporting N.I. , to a Celtic fan wearing a Celtic top with pride while supporting Ireland? Especially when there are current and ex players of both clubs on the pitch?

Did you also not think given the recession , some people may havent got the money to buy both Ireland and Celtic jerseys whenever they feel?

P.S. in an ideal world i'd love if everyone would wear Ireland jerseys to the games , but an item of clothing doesnt always define a supporter! 

do you seriously think that celtic jerseys are worn by Irish "fans" because O'Dea was on their books or because given and keane played for them?? also, celtic shirts at Ireland matches long before the recession!

the reason celtic fans wear their jerseys to Ireland matches is that its another arena to show their celtic support. it has zilch to do with supporting Ireland in my view.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:45pm

have they ever had an irish player play for their first team?

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:00pm
@gspain you ignored half of my post why?

The fact Amoruso was the first Catholic captain in the clubs history which was barely 15 years ago shows what went on for years & years at Ibrox. Their anti-Irish , policy was brought in line with their anti-Catholic policy isnt that obvious?

They tried to sign Sheedy i'll give you that. But where is the proof of Rangers wanting to sign Andy O'Brien , iv'e never read or seen anything that backs that up tbh..

So just because Rangers have had one ex Irish international on there coaching staff in their history  should they be applauded or should it be seen as an achievement? 

08/09 season read that article Wink

http://www.philmacgiollabhain.ie/there-is-no-team-like-the-glasgow-rangers/" rel="nofollow - http://www.philmacgiollabhain.ie/there-is-no-team-like-the-glasgow-rangers/  

Alex Stevenson  1930s , Alex Craig 1910s , James McCauley 1900s played with Rangers all Irish , how convenient Rangers no Catholics policy was between the 50s and 80s when no Irish player was signed. Another flaw in your argument.

-------------

Posted By: Tiocfaidh Armani
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:03pm
Rangers FC are the scum of world football and I say that as someone who has lived in Scotland for the last eight years and leaving shortly. You'll never find a more rancid anti-Irish or Catholic support anywhere. It's that hatred that fuels the tramps. Go and look up if Rangers flew the Irish flag as is UEFA rules when Shelbourne played there. Go and see who attacked the Shels support and even team bus when Shelbourne played them in Tranmere and ask yourself why was there so much violence towards a set of fans from a small family club. Oh yeah, they were Irish.

Scumbags as are the idiots who follow them 'for a laugh'.

Posted By: reabhloid
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:04pm

what about Robin getting booed when he played against ireland... when did he play for  Rangers..?

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:06pm

Did you also not think given the recession , some people may havent got the money to buy both Ireland and Celtic jerseys whenever they feel?

do you seriously think that celtic jerseys are worn by Irish "fans" because O'Dea was on their books or because given and keane played for them?? also, celtic shirts at Ireland matches long before the recession!

the reason celtic fans wear their jerseys to Ireland matches is that its another arena to show their celtic support. it has zilch to do with supporting Ireland in my view.

Its a possibility even if its a minor one , but can you honestly prove to me i'm wrong? 

I know Celtic jerseys were seen for years and years at Ireland games Thumbs Up 

So if i wore my Sunderland jersey to an Ireland game in Poznan , i'm not showing support for Ireland by being there Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:06pm
there was a liverpool player roundly booed one time as well not so long ago, forget who

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:09pm

Nail on the head, thought the atsmoshere was dreadfull, every asshole from a 300 mile radius was down at it soley to give abuse. funny they never made down on the sunday a few days later

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:09pm

And you can be fairly sure if we played up in Windsor, our players would be roundly booed and jeered. It's called rivalry.

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:11pm
Rooney and JOS were booed when they played at Ibrox a few years back , i remember it well.

One grew up in an Irish Catholic Family in Liverpool and the other was Irish born and bred , thats strange why they got booed at such a friendly club like Rangers.

-------------

Posted By: MintBerryCrunch
Alan Mayburys family are all rangers fans 

Why are Celtic jerseys worn at Ireland games? Maybe because they're green and white. Just a thought.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:13pm

Rooney and JOS were booed when they played at Ibrox a few years back , i remember it well.

One grew up in an Irish Catholic Family in Liverpool and the other was Irish born and bred , thats strange why they got booed at such a friendly club like Rangers.

A bit why Rangers fans attacked Shelbourne fans in Tranmere; they're Irish. How anybody from Ireland can sympathise with that mob of scum is beyond me.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Nail on the head, thought the atsmoshere was dreadfull, every asshole from a 300 mile radius was down at it soley to give abuse. funny they never made down on the sunday a few days later

But like can those morons be defined as genuine Irish supporting Celtic fans or just gimps looking for trouble by wearing Celtic tops?

I support Celtic but i only wear my Irish jerseys to Ireland matches.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 5:14pm

We're a bit too nice in ireland to create an intimidating atmosphere

or any kind of atmosphere in the Aviva it seems

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

And you can be fairly sure if we played up in Windsor, our players would be roundly booed and jeered. It's called rivalry.

northern celtic heads coming down to dublin only for the match against the north has zero to do with football rivalry. if they cared about the Irish team so much then they would be here all the time but thankfully they are not. my brother had his under 10 kids with him at the match and the explitive and hate filled abuse was a disgrace and has no place at any sporting occasion. the word "rivalry" is used too much as an excuse for biggotry and hatred.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 6:28pm
and there is no bigotry and hatred down in the south is there...everybody down here loves the travellers and the muslims and nigerians...and the romanians.....' republic of hypocrisy'....its not me mammy... it must have been the celtic fan...mammy

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Tiocfaidh Armani Tiocfaidh Armani wrote:

Rangers FC are the scum of world football and I say that as someone who has lived in Scotland for the last eight years and leaving shortly. You'll never find a more rancid anti-Irish or Catholic support anywhere. It's that hatred that fuels the tramps. Go and look up if Rangers flew the Irish flag as is UEFA rules when Shelbourne played there. Go and see who attacked the Shels support and even team bus when Shelbourne played them in Tranmere and ask yourself why was there so much violence towards a set of fans from a small family club. Oh yeah, they were Irish.

Funny you should mention this because a lad I know that plays on our football team only mentioned the fact that as a 10 year old boy he went to this game as his first Shels away game  and whereever they were after the game - they had a big spread on for a coach full of schoolboys etc...
Rangers fans came in and smashed up the whole place!

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 7:21pm

Funny you should mention this because a lad I know that plays on our football team only mentioned the fact that as a 10 year old boy he went to this game as his first Shels away game  and whereever they were after the game - they had a big spread on for a coach full of schoolboys etc...
the union.jack has been smashing up places for hundreds of years...they are just going with the flow of that cultural expression...!

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by reabhloid reabhloid wrote:

the union.jack has been smashing up places for hundreds of years...they are just going with the flow of that cultural expression...!

Not a truer word spoken.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: togo
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 7:55pm
I doubt if Kerr was a rangers supporter, Maybury is though. Nothing wrong with following a team for football reasons but when politics influences the decision then that is wrong.

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 8:08pm

that must be one of the most ignorant statements ever on this forum. The whole make-up of the club was driven by its anti-irish agenda, how any irish person could support rangers is beyond me they are either extremely ignorant or are very self loathing Irishmen. An Irish man supporting rangers is one of the biggest contradictions going.

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 8:23pm
Walked into a rangers fans pub in glasgow city centre by mistake after the old firm derby last year. Thank fook I wasnt wearing colours as it was full of scum looking for trouble. Kept my mouth shut and walked straight out.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Walked into a rangers fans pub in glasgow city centre by mistake after the old firm derby last year. Thank fook I wasnt wearing colours as it was full of scum looking for trouble. Kept my mouth shut and walked straight out.

why didnt ya take them on ya pussy? Big smile

just walk in bollock naked with nothing on but a pair of socks and a KISS ME IM IRISH novelty hat

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

that must be one of the most ignorant statements ever on this forum. The whole make-up of the club was driven by its anti-irish agenda, how any irish person could support rangers is beyond me they are either extremely ignorant or are very self loathing Irishmen. An Irish man supporting rangers is one of the biggest contradictions going.

Agreed as they are a British club and surely Irish people should support an Irish club and hint I mean a real Irish club like Shelbourne or Cork City.  However the reality is that most Irish people support a British club although more likely to be Man Utd or Liverpool.

Re Andy O'Brien he was going the other way as part of the Boumsong deal.  All agreed until he got cold feet about the abuse he'd get from the Celtic support.  The first high profile Irish International to play for Rangers will become a figure of hate among the Celtic support aka Mo Johnson.  You need to be a particular type of character to accept that kind of abuse and most would say why bother?  Alan Maybury would have but he was never good enough. 

Alan Smith by all accounts seems to be getting on well and apparently got a great reception when introduced before  a home game a few weeks back.  

I think the anti Irish thing is a smokescreen from Celtic fans to try and take some sort of moral high ground as Celtic can hardly be considered anti British.  Rangers clearly have a hooligan element still in their support as do Celtic.  Rangers clearly have a bigoted sectarian element in their support as do Celtic.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:28pm

Agreed as they are a British club and surely Irish people should support an Irish club and hint I mean a real Irish club like Shelbourne or Cork City.  However the reality is that most Irish people support a British club although more likely to be Man Utd or Liverpool.

Re Andy O'Brien he was going the other way as part of the Boumsong deal.  All agreed until he got cold feet about the abuse he'd get from the Celtic support.  The first high profile Irish International to play for Rangers will become a figure of hate among the Celtic support aka Mo Johnson.  You need to be a particular type of character to accept that kind of abuse and most would say why bother?  Alan Maybury would have but he was never good enough. 

Alan Smith by all accounts seems to be getting on well and apparently got a great reception when introduced before  a home game a few weeks back.  

I think the anti Irish thing is a smokescreen from Celtic fans to try and take some sort of moral high ground as Celtic can hardly be considered anti British.  Rangers clearly have a hooligan element still in their support as do Celtic.  Rangers clearly have a bigoted sectarian element in their support as do Celtic.
Confused you really are showing your extreme ignorance on the topic.

-------------

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:31pm
give me an example of celtic bigotry then..?

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:31pm

exactly.every club has their pricks.but i think the celtic fans will point out that rangers have a reputation so they have a higher percentage of sectarian pricks in their support which is fair enough.i think that FCUK UEFA banner will only tarnish celtic fans good reputation in europe and it would be a shame if they were dragged down to rangers level.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:44pm
ignorance once again, give me one example of celtics sectarianism, please do not confuse political ideals with secratiansim, sectarianism is based on religious discrimination. 

-------------

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:46pm
mate of mine, season ticket at dundalk and goes to every ireland home game is a rangers fan

said it was from playing football in the back garden with his cousin who was celtic fan, so he picked rangers and it just went from there

he has an ireland scotland match programme from a game in lansdowne signed by the rangers players that were in the squad that night

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net