You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 138>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:37pm
Rumours Conte is going to Spurs. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Conte plays with wing backs. I’d have thought this would suit Doherty. Is it likely Conte buys his own wing back and f**ks Doherty off? When Mourinho signed both Doherty and Reguilon last season I thought he was actually going with a back 5. 

Edited by kevin100 - 02 Jun 2021 at 9:38pm
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:06pm
It amazes me that someone would leave the Italian champions to manage the 7th best team in England.

I know that Conte has his problems with the Inter chiefs but it's not like Tottenham are renowned for opening the checkbook.

With Nuno Espirito Santo looking like taking over at Everton or Palace and Pochettino throwing his toys out of the pram at PSG, who needs a Super League? The Premier League is effectively the Super League.

It's never been more apparent with Barca, Real and Juventus's struggles.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:41pm
Is it a money thing? Not that any of them are poor. It said this morning on the radio that Anchelotti was on 11 million a year at Everton. Imagine
I love beer gardens
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

It amazes me that someone would leave the Italian champions to manage the 7th best team in England.

I know that Conte has his problems with the Inter chiefs but it's not like Tottenham are renowned for opening the checkbook.

With Nuno Espirito Santo looking like taking over at Everton or Palace and Pochettino throwing his toys out of the pram at PSG, who needs a Super League? The Premier League is effectively the Super League.

It's never been more apparent with Barca, Real and Juventus's struggles.

Confused

He didn't leave Inter to specifically take the Spurs job 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 9:40pm
Spurs linked with a Japanese utility defender with Matt Doherty expected to be moved on this window according to Alan Nixon.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Spurs linked with a Japanese utility defender with Matt Doherty expected to be moved on this window according to Alan Nixon.

Ani Foo Kin Ware 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 12:13am
Would Nuno Espirito Santo coming into Spurs not suit Doherty perfect? Some going not to have a manager yet be able to flog Doherty and get a Japanese utility player in.. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Would Nuno Espirito Santo coming into Spurs not suit Doherty perfect? Some going not to have a manager yet be able to flog Doherty and get a Japanese utility player in.. 

Can't see Doherty going anywhere, unless Spurs are to cover his wages.

He's turning 30 and has three years left on a 65k a week contract.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 12:50am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Go check your rag  again!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Some going not to have a manager yet be able to flog Doherty and get a Japanese utility player in.. 

Very common at that level where managers have less input into signings and sales than they do at smaller clubs.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 12:53pm
It also appears that Tomiyasu is most predominantly a centre half and the fact that Nuno's signings are as inspired by his agent as him. And he shares an agent with Doherty. I can't imagine Tomiyasu would be likely to line out right wing back in Nuno's preferred system based on this: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/takehiro-tomiyasu/profil/spieler/331560
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 5:32pm
Nuno close to being appointed Tottenham manager. Will this be good for Doherty?
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Nuno close to being appointed Tottenham manager. Will this be good for Doherty?

Should be. Nuno likes the wing back system and knows what Doherty can do.  Playing him at RB didn’t work at all and it’s hard to see why Spurs bought him with that in mind.   I watched a lot of Spurs last year and while he was by no means the worst in the panel, he didn’t do enough going forward in enough games to compensate for the occasional game when he got roasted.  He is twice the player when he has a right sided CB covering him, as opposed to his winger chipping in defensively.   It all depends on whether they bring in a replacement when they offload Aurier.  
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 8:38pm
Not sure Nuno will go with a Wolves like formation. Spurs have a stronger team for the most part and won't be plucky counter attacking underdogs like Wolves. He picked the WB system for Wolves because it fit our strengths and mainly weaknesses while in the championship (lack of defensively sound  full backs being a weakness) and turned away from it when we got established in the Premier League and sold Doc shortly after.  Spurs fans and ownership aren't likely to accept 5 at the back and counterattacking.
So I'm not sure it's necessarily good news for him.

PaConnors View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaConnors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 9:01am
There was the possibility that he would be effectively be a wing back in an asymmetric set-up with Davies tucking in on the other side. Reguillon threw a spanner in the works as he was preferred as the 'advanced' full back.

Nuno knows Doherty and that can only be a good thing in terms of him being given a fair crack. 
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 8:03pm
Spurs playing preseason game and Doherty not in the squad
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

Bit strange this isn’t it? He has been training early? From what I see himself and Bergwjin are the only two not to be involved in the first two games we were training from the start.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

Bit strange this isn’t it? He has been training early? From what I see himself and Bergwjin are the only two not to be involved in the first two games we were training from the start.

It seemed a bit too obvious, convenient you could say, that Santo coming in would change Doherty's fortunes for the better.

These developments may throw a spanner in the works of that.

Even if his days at Spurs are numbered, you'd have to imagine there would be PL and equivalent standard teams who'd be willing to take him on and play him to his strengths.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 138>
  Share Topic