Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=37566
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 10:33am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Matt Doherty
Posted By: Propagandhi®
Subject: Matt Doherty
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 8:28am

Wolves have recruited another promising youngster in the shape of Irish defender Matt Doherty.

Highly-rated Welsh striker Jake Cassidy arrived on Tuesday and a deal has now been agreed to bring in fellow teenager Doherty.

The 18-year-old caught http://topics.skysports.com/Mick+McCarthy/?section=football - Mick McCarthy's eye whilst playing for Bohemians in pre-season against both Wolves and http://topics.skysports.com/Aston+Villa/?section=football - Aston Villa.

He follows in the footsteps of http://topics.skysports.com/Stephen+Ward/?section=football - Stephen Ward, who made the move to Molineux from the http://topics.skysports.com/dublin/?section=football - Dublin club in 2007.

Chief Executive Jez Moxey is pleased with the capture of Doherty, telling the Express & Star: "Matt's performance was noted by Mick and the coaching team in our friendly against Bohemians at the start of pre-season.

"We followed up the interest and after he impressed again in training it was decided to pursue a deal.

"From the time we signed Stephen Ward we have always enjoyed a good relationship with Bohemians and have twice played them in friendly matches.

"Mick has also been very successful with the Irish players he has brought in, and Matt is another young and bright talent with plenty of potential."

Opportunity

Reports suggest the transfer fee is in the region of £75,000, with Bohemians set to receive around £40,000.

Smaller Irish clubs Belvedere and Home Farm are also set to get a cut after helping Doherty develop before his recent move to Bohemians.

Bohs boss http://topics.skysports.com/Pat+Fenlon/?section=football - Pat Fenlon said: "We have spoken to his schoolboy clubs here in Dublin and they are happy with what we are doing.

"This is a great opportunity for Matt, sometimes it's not just about making money - and I know we need the money - but we're not standing in his way. He's a very good young player who has a real chance.

"I know Mick McCarthy is very taken with him, so we wish him the best of luck."

-------------
"I Shall Not Be Provoked." Propagandhi, 2010

Replies:
Posted By: bossofthemoss
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 8:31am
No better man than Mick to look after him

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 11:01am

wolves and bohs have a good relationship now with  now him and stephen ward coming from bohs to molineux good move for all !!

Posted By: jb37
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 2:36pm
What position does he play?

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 8:07pm
He is going to make his Wolves debut today in the FA Cup against Doncaster.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/01/07/matt-doherty-to-make-his-wolves-debut/ - http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/01/07/matt-doherty-to-make-his-wolves-debut/

Posted By: TBWRA
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 10:42am
Well in Matt 

Posted By: Wearside Bhoy
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 9:09am
Pleased to see him play a part in Hibs getting to the Scots Cup final yesterday. Shame Graham Stack went off injured and Eoin Doyle and Roy O'Donovan were on the bench.

-------------
TJ Doyles,Sunderland probably the best Irish pub in the world.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 4:42pm
Matt is playing right back for Wolves in the Wolves v Norwich match currently live on SS1.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 6:35pm
Good to have another option for right back playing at a decent level. Hopefully he can nail down the right back spot for wolves for the season ahead.

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Posted By: rainpaulo
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 7:07pm
Pity a left back couldn't show up.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 4:31am
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Good to have another option for right back playing at a decent level. Hopefully he can nail down the right back spot for wolves for the season ahead.

Exactly lets hope that this is the start of a substained run in the team for him.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 12:59am
Had another very good game today for wolves in their 3-2 defeat to northampton. He was a bit like coleman as he was constantly attacking down the line and was unlucky not to get a goal or two.  Also looks very composed defending as well.  Mcalinden was also very good and hopefully will have worked himself into wolves starting 11.  Mccarey was very poor and could of done better with 2 of the 3 goals and also was caught out on a few other occasions and was lucky to get away with it

-------------

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 1:13am
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Had another very good game today for wolves in their 3-2 defeat to northampton. He was a bit like coleman as he was constantly attacking down the line and was unlucky not to get a goal or two.  Also looks very composed defending as well.  Mcalinden was also very good and hopefully will have worked himself into wolves starting 11.  Mccarey was very poor and could of done better with 2 of the 3 goals and also was caught out on a few other occasions and was lucky to get away with it

Good to hear young Doherty doing well. We could do with more options at full-back.

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 7:38am
I said it when the squad was picked that doherty could have been brought in but its an absolute shame that no young players were brought into the end of season squad. Ridiculous. Instead we had Stepen Kelly who hasnt started for club since January 1st and wasnt in the Reading squad 1st 2 games of the season - unsure if thats due to injury but regardless he shouldnt be getting a look in. He proved why in the Portugal match.

So now O Neill is in a situation where he may well have to pick both Kelly and Ward in his Georgia squad as full back cover or starter, in the latter's case, without either having any games behind them. God forbid that Coleman gets injured. Poor management.

Posted By: rainpaulo
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

I said it when the squad was picked that doherty could have been brought in but its an absolute shame that no young players were brought into the end of season squad. Ridiculous. Instead we had Stepen Kelly who hasnt started for club since January 1st and wasnt in the Reading squad 1st 2 games of the season - unsure if thats due to injury but regardless he shouldnt be getting a look in. He proved why in the Portugal match.

So now O Neill is in a situation where he may well have to pick both Kelly and Ward in his Georgia squad as full back cover or starter, in the latter's case, without either having any games behind them. God forbid that Coleman gets injured. Poor management.

Spot on...when is our next friendly?

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 9:24am
don't rate this lad at all tbh, seen him a few times play for wolves and tbh i think international football is way beyond him

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: The O'Shea
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 10:47am

Kelly is injured, and tbf Doherty was in and out of a Wolves team in L1 last year, so I wouldn't exactly say he was an obvious choice for a call up.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 11:10am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Kelly is injured, and tbf Doherty was in and out of a Wolves team in L1 last year, so I wouldn't exactly say he was an obvious choice for a call up.

Ya aware of that. But he's a manager on a 6 figure sum. You don't need to be on that to do the calculations that Kelly will be 31 when this campaign starts, past it and likely to plummet the divisions during the campaign. 

Doherty is no Steve Finnan waiting in the wings but we don't have alternatives. We will have to rely on fringe players through this campaign at some point. And Kelly has been tested, has the experience and we know what he can do. No need for him in that squad on the back of a shocking season.

Who would you have liked to have seen at RB in America? Kelly?

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 11:44am
31 is now past it?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: MacMathuna
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 12:43pm
Joey O'Brien surely ahead of this fella in any Ireland squads?....

-------------
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by MacMathuna MacMathuna wrote:

Judging by his recent self exclusions I would assume he has little interest playing for us.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by MacMathuna MacMathuna wrote:

He pulled out of this squad.... Again. Agree with HB on this.

HB - When I say he's past it - like with Doyle - his best days are well behind him. His last 2 seasons have been very poor, to say the least. Arguably the best season of his career was 2011-12. He's failed to live up to that since.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

31 is now past it?

They only get started at 31 in Italy haha.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: NewtNewbie
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

don't rate this lad at all tbh, seen him a few times play for wolves and tbh i think international football is way beyond him

You're killin' my mojo with your negative energy, man.

Posted By: gary rowell
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 11:36am
Matt must be doing something right if he is getting his place in an in form Woves side.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 12:53pm
talented player but didn't have the best of games yesterday

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 1:32pm
Was brutal, but all defenders were

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: johnvonp
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 6:01pm
Seems angry at his exclusion from the squad at the expense of Lenihan.
Just retweeted this tweet from @ShaunShields

@ShaunShields: How can the @FAIreland call up young Brian Lenihan who has yet to play for Hull ahead of @OfficialWolves regular RB @mattdoherty20. Strange

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

@ShaunShields: How can the @FAIreland call up young Brian Lenihan who has yet to play for Hull ahead of @OfficialWolves regular RB @mattdoherty20. Strange

Footballers and twitter.

Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 11:25am
Matt in the Wolves team that plays Brum in the sky early game today.

-------------

Posted By: Locke
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 12:25pm
Matt is in Wolves team every week,no new news here.

-------------
Ivan Locke: "I'm not going to turn back. I have made my decision."

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Locke Locke wrote:

Matt is in Wolves team every week,no new news here.

Thanks for that.
Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Footballers and twitter.

Embarrassed

I can understand why he's a bit miffed tbh, and a few others along with him. Lenihan really does seem to have skipped the queue.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 1:21pm
I've told you before about the magic airplane , expect towell to skip the queue soon too

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

I've told you before about the magic airplane , expect towell to skip the queue soon too

Except this is the first time that the "magic airplane" analogy is actually accurate, it's never happened so quickly or unexpectedly before.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 2:21pm

Magic plane?

Or maybe it's to do with the player playing at a much higher level on a consistent basic.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 2:25pm

Magic plane?

Or maybe it's to do with the player playing at a much higher level on a consistent basic.

Many games he play thus far for hull ?

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 2:28pm

Magic plane?

Many games he play thus far for hull ?

Sorry thought you were talking about Towell .

Your right calling up Lenihan is bizarre and just wrong. I'm not sure O'Neill has seen him play yet either.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:46am
Doherty is doing well. Holding down a place in a good championship team. He has to be better than some of the extended squad named for the two games coming up. Again I have to say why not play a B international in the week of Euro games.We are not going to use 35 players in two games lets get as many players as possible playing and committed to the cause.

-------------
alive and kicking

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 11:49pm
Matt sent off for Wolves today straight red I believe.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 9:26pm
Got two assists tonight as wolves lead 3-0.  Does martin o neill even know about him. Definitely should be included in the 36 man squads

-------------

Posted By: SByrne24
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 12:55am
We're currently trying to get some english lads and an american i think thats higher on his list going by his interviews. In fairness we've the best right back in the premier league and championship we're set there 

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 2:01am
Glad to see him back in favour Clap

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:15pm
Matt has scored for Woves tonight v Fulham.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 11:47pm
Great strike from distance

-------------
We're decent enough..

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:43am
4th game in a row he plays as full left back ,  he can be the next jeff kenna,  denis irwin or curtis flemming to play both sides as fullback

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 7:38am
Matt got the winner for Wolves v Bristol City last night.
Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Bradyesque
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 12:45pm
Our best LB by far. Goal & assist last night, really want to see him start at LB with Brady at LW.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 7:09pm

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/822423558?-17912:3335:0" rel="nofollow - Matt Doherty in high spirits as he joins Republic of Ireland squad

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 3:49pm
Won the "Young Wolves Player of the Season" and "Goal of the Season" last night.

-------------
We're decent enough..

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 3:47pm
Matt has scored for Wolves v Reading this afternoon.

-------------

Posted By: Eire_Andy
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 3:49pm
He's gets a fair bit of goals and assists for a LB.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 4:00pm
yeap and he can free up coleman on the right ...since  doherty is  head to head with christie

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 6:12pm
Linked to a move before to trnsfer window is over Swansea, WBA in there

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 6:45pm
ESPN Argentina are obsessed with Irish B internationals!

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:26pm
Matt in the Wolves team at QPR in the live championship game on SS1 coverage from 19.30 tonght.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 9:48pm
Matt had a sound game tonight played an important part in Wolves first goal and was unlucky not to score himself.

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 10:05pm
bump

Just looking at Wolves's end of season awards last year and he was voted their best player by the fans/best player among the other players and scored the best goal.

Has apparently done well at left back but is a natural right back and has played in all defensive positions.

Anyone seen much if any of him?

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 10:12pm
Maybe time for the mods to merge the two Matt Doherty threads?

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 10:21pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sa_OQgWiPA" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sa_OQgWiPA

-------------

Posted By: GUFC_Andy
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 7:49pm
Scores again tonight vs Cardiff. He's got some eye for goal for a RB

-------------
Don't ban me for no reason, please.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 4:42pm
Scores a 30 yard free-kick vs Stoke, right in the top corner

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 4:45pm
a move to a premier league team is lurking for this guy..he is ripping stoke apart...best man on the pitch..  today...... dudes....................

a goal and an assist for a guy playing out of position...  I think  full backs are in need....if MAN U is looking for a fellow at right back...he can be a  denis irwin of  XXI

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 4:46pm
Deserves a call up, not as if we're overloaded at full back and the fact he's capable of playing right or left is useful.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Deserves a call up, not as if we're overloaded at full back and the fact he's capable of playing right or left is useful.
Yeah, he seems to have developed an awful lot. When I first saw him in the championship I wouldn't have had him near the Irish set-up, being played on the wrong side seems to have actually aided his development.  I haven't seen much of him this year but their fans and local journalists seem to rate him highly.
The one area where I feel Martin has been worthy of criticism is the left back position where he seems happy with Ward or playing Brady out of position. Doherty and Cunningham have both deserved a look in friendlies and with Doherty's ability to cover either side he should be a regular in the 23.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Yeah, he seems to have developed an awful lot. When I first saw him in the championship I wouldn't have had him near the Irish set-up, being played on the wrong side seems to have actually aided his development.  I haven't seen much of him this year but their fans and local journalists seem to rate him highly.
The one area where I feel Martin has been worthy of criticism is the left back position where he seems happy with Ward or playing Brady out of position. Doherty and Cunningham have both deserved a look in friendlies and with Doherty's ability to cover either side he should be a regular in the 23.

He was players, fans and journos player of the year for Wolves last season, clean sweep. Should be a regular in the squad alright.

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by GUFC_Andy GUFC_Andy wrote:

Scores a 30 yard free-kick vs Stoke, right in the top corner

Cracking goal.
Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 9:02pm
Did well to win a penalty against Norwich yesterday. Ended the game in goal. All the drama is here https://www.balls.ie/football/wes-hoolahan-dive-357302" rel="nofollow - https://www.balls.ie/football/wes-hoolahan-dive-357302

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 9:10pm
Embarrassing from Wes.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 9:30pm
Scores for wolves to make it 1-1 vs Brentford

-------------

Posted By: Peter Stöger
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 12:06am
Fair play to him, legend in the green shirt Thumbs Up

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

Fair play to him, legend in the green shirt Thumbs Up

Scored 3 for us in that bizarre 2004 Euro campaign

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:28pm
Should be called up for Tuesday and if not then needs game time in the States. Needs to be integrated into the squad asap in case anything was to happen to Christie.

-------------

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:49pm
I have to say, one of my biggest issues with Martin O’Neill is that he’s never given Matt a chance.

This guy is 26, in the prime of his career and playing very well for arguably the best team in the championship. He’s a far better player than Christie at club level.

He could very possibly be playing Premier League football next season, I’m not certain that Christie will ever make that jump.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I have to say, one of my biggest issues with Martin O’Neill is that he’s never given Matt a chance.

This guy is 26, in the prime of his career and playing very well for arguably the best team in the championship. He’s a far better player than Christie at club level.

He could very possibly be playing Premier League football next season, I’m not certain that Christie will ever make that jump.

Think he has had him in the squad at time. He does appear to be doing very well so it's a bit strange he has not had more of a look in, especially at times we've even had to use meylor as a makeshift full back. MoN obviously not been so impressed so far

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:52pm
Forgot to mention that he can play left or right back. Needs a serious look in friendlies after we qualify for the World Cup, Coleman may never come back the same player, and Christie is not the long term solution.

Posted By: ThePaulUp
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:56pm
Experimenting with RB’s definitely needed

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Think he has had him in the squad at time. He does appear to be doing very well so it's a bit strange he has not had more of a look in, especially at times we've even had to use meylor as a makeshift full back. MoN obviously not been so impressed so far

I’d struggle to see how Doherty hasn’t made any impact in training. Most of the squad are lower premier league or higher championship players, he’s bettering these types of players week in and week out at club level.

Posted By: CillDara
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:05pm
Yeah it is mad that Doherty has not got more of a look in, of all of our fringe players I think he is the one who can feel the most hard done by. In fairness to Christie he made a good first impression when he joined up with the squad, once he was in there was never a need to replace him so Doherty has never really had a chance. With Colemans injury I thought he would definitely get a look in but it hasn't happened for whatever reason. If Wolves get promoted you'd have to imagine he will be in for the next campaign especially considering he can play either of the full back roles.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Yeah it is mad that Doherty has not got more of a look in, of all of our fringe players I think he is the one who can feel the most hard done by. In fairness to Christie he made a good first impression when he joined up with the squad, once he was in there was never a need to replace him so Doherty has never really had a chance. With Colemans injury I thought he would definitely get a look in but it hasn't happened for whatever reason. If Wolves get promoted you'd have to imagine he will be in for the next campaign especially considering he can play either of the full back roles.

I’d certainly hope he’d be in the squad, we’re not at the level to be saying no to any players playing in the Premier League (if he gets there).

Posted By: dubstep
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:07pm
He's been Wolves player of the season before aswel. He's a better player than Christie imo but sure that's why MON gets paid a lot of money to decide these things. Thing is we could lose him to Holland if we don't cap him quick his mother is Dutch.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

He's been Wolves player of the season before aswel. He's a better player than Christie imo but sure that's why MON gets paid a lot of money to decide these things.

I’ve nothing against Christie, and actually think he’s done well since coming in. But Doherty is actually a good footballer. Christie is a good athlete with absolutely no end product.

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 8:47pm
Baffling stuff!

Surely himself and Greg Cunningham deserve a chance. Mon is calling up 2 fullbacks in his extended 90 man squad

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: keith3307
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:04pm
I remember he retweeted a fan complaining about Brian Lenihan getting called up ahead of him. Maybe MON took issue with that.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:39pm
Have heard from a mate that has interviewed him several times that he has serious attitude issues. But so does our assistant manager. Call him up MON.

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:53pm
Care to elaborate? As in he's a knob or what? 

Posted By: HuntysCousin
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:01pm

Have heard from a mate that has interviewed him several times that he has serious attitude issues. But so does our assistant manager. Call him up MON.

Our assistant manager was also a world class player, makes it that bit easier to tolerate a difficult personality

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Care to elaborate? As in he's a knob or what? 

He was asked several years ago while on loan at Hibs if he fancied playing for them next season after losing in the cup 5-1 to Hearts, he replied "No chance". Its on Youtube somewhere. He got a load of abuse from Hib's fans as it wasn't a very appropriate response after losing to your biggest rivals.

I wouldn't hold it against him though, really rate him and think he'll go on to be a solid PL performer.

Posted By: Scissors Kick
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 1:41am
Hasn't he been playing on the right of a four in a 3-4-3 for Wolves lately ? They spent heavily for this season & he survived &is in their side in a key position, he won their penalty on Saturday also. How he is not in our squads is becoming a real mystery definitely if it's just down to on the park matters. 

Posted By: SportingRizzlaCF
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Baffling stuff!

Surely himself and Greg Cunningham deserve a chance. Mon is calling up 2 fullbacks in his extended 90 man squad

The same could said about Enda Stevens. My mate is a ST holder at Pompey and said he left a far better player than when he arrived and could be decent in the Championship... which he is now. I don't see the harm in including him within the 48 man squad. 

-------------
Seamus Coleman is Sligo ONLY

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 1:11pm
Makes the squad.

Posted By: SportingRizzlaCF
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 2:16pm
Great to see Matt has traveled to Copenhagen with the squad, not least because MO'N has decided the extra cover at full back could be useful! 

-------------
Seamus Coleman is Sligo ONLY

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by SportingRizzlaCF SportingRizzlaCF wrote:

Great to see Matt has traveled to Copenhagen with the squad, not least because MO'N has decided the extra cover at full back could be useful! 

Absolutely. With Ward and Christie both on bookings it was imperative we had full back cover. Doherty can play both sides to which is even better.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Absolutely. With Ward and Christie both on bookings it was imperative we had full back cover. Doherty can play both sides to which is even better.

Not to mention he is a better right back than Christie.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 3:03pm

And only goes to highlight a ball dropped by MON. Cover provided by a player with no experience at this level. 

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: amccarten313
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 4:20pm

agreed

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:09pm
Assist tonight.

Also scored vs Reading on the weekend.

Posted By: darragh90
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:52pm
premier league player before our first NL game hopefully. Could he slot in LB?

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by darragh90 darragh90 wrote:

Has looked comfortable at leftback in the past.

Was reading what Wolves fans have to say about him and they reckon he’s been one of their players of the season. Wouldn’t count my chickens yet, regarding Wolves in the Premier League next season.

Posted By: darragh90
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 9:58pm

Originally posted by darragh90 darragh90 wrote:

Has looked comfortable at leftback in the past.

Was reading what Wolves fans have to say about him and they reckon he’s been one of their players of the season. Wouldn’t count my chickens yet, regarding Wolves in the Premier League next season.

Its a long season but they're playing unreal stuff from what Ive read and spent loads of money over the summer too...You'd have to imagine a playoff spot is guaranteed at least

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net