Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 138>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 8:27pm
Keane has always been an eye for an eye type of chap. He’ll wait in the long grass for years if needed
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Keane has always been an eye for an eye type of chap. He’ll wait in the long grass for years if needed

In a somewhat small defence of Keane of which I'm loathe to give LOL it was was Doherty that started this sniping in the wake of O'Neill's departure which didn't reflect great on him even if he had reason to. I think it as on Off The Ball interview. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 9:13pm
Doherty was ripped asunder yesterday was poor. He was the brunt of Spurs fans ire no Davies Dier Sissoko Aurier etc only one of the usual 6/7 Spurs scapegoats starting was Doc so that didn’t help.

Tbf he wasn’t helped Ndombele and Bale did sweet all to help him and he was left isolated 2 and 3 on 1 all first half. For all the fair weather fan will blame Doherty there’s a reason Mourinho hauled off Bale as opposed to hauling off Doherty and that’s cause it was Bale didn’t bother his arse covering back.

I felt yesterday was a huge game for Doherty in that a good Spurs performance and him playing okay he’d solidify himself as first choice a bit. In typical fashion for Ireland/an Irish player seemingly at the moment it went the wrong way.

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Mar 2021 at 9:14pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

LOL

Docherty, Docherty, Docherty, Docherty according to Martin Tyler.  Angry

They couldn't wait to sh*t on him at half time (thanks to the Saipan deserter planting that seed a couple of weeks before the Burnley game) for Arsenal's equalizer. Not saying Doherty wasn't at fault but if it was one of their mates that was an English international, I don't they'd have been quite as forceful in their condemnation.

Keane would've had a field day if he was on the panel to stick the knife in on Doherty even more.

I think you're trying too hard to make excuses where none exist.

I was pleased when Spurs signed Matt (esp for the money).

I was quite prepared to be patient when he didn't hit the ground running.

I worried that Mourinho might be messing with his head etc (still do, in truth).

But yesterday Doherty was so ineffably bad I actually found myself wondering whether Serge Aurier wouldn't be a better pick.

And fcuk me, but Aurier is one crap defender. Shocked

I know Doherty hasn't been good at Spurs and there's always been question marks about his defensive ability when playing in the right back role as opposed to his more familiar wing back position but what I don't like is Keane eviscerated him going above and beyond normal criticism with a clearly personal slant to it. 

I didn't listen to Keane afterwards (try to avoid him where possible)

Instead I went by the evidence of my own eyes, backed (as it happens) by the commentator/analyst.

And I have to say, MD was terrible yesterday.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 9:32pm
Yes, you've already made that point with the ineffably bad comment Territorial. I got it. 

I wasn't disputing that Doherty was at fault yesterday.  

Keane wasn't on the panel yesterday.  I was only making the point that the Sky pundits along with Keane have double standards when it comes to criticizing England players or their mates that are still involved in the EPL. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Doherty was ripped asunder yesterday was poor. He was the brunt of Spurs fans ire no Davies Dier Sissoko Aurier etc only one of the usual 6/7 Spurs scapegoats starting was Doc so that didn’t help.

Tbf he wasn’t helped Ndombele and Bale did sweet all to help him and he was left isolated 2 and 3 on 1 all first half. For all the fair weather fan will blame Doherty there’s a reason Mourinho hauled off Bale as opposed to hauling off Doherty and that’s cause it was Bale didn’t bother his arse covering back.

Except that Spurs fans don't have it in for those players (Dier possibly, but Sissoko the exact opposite).

The one exception is Aurier, who is roundly scorned. But that only helps Doherty, since so many of want to see him (MD) do well in Aurier's position.

In the end you can make all the excuses you like, but when a player under no pressure regularly hits simple ten yard passes three yards off the mark, fails to get even o9ne decent cross in, or allows the opposition LB to tear him a new one time-after-time without at least trying to kick him, there comes a time when you just have to say: "Off to the Reserves son, until you can show us why you should be back in the team"

Edited by Territorial - 15 Mar 2021 at 9:33pm
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 9:35pm
Its very strange, watched matt for wolves nearly every week the past two seasons and you would say his passing accuracy was one of his best traits... Now struggling to hit 5 yard passes.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 9:35pm

My point still stands if Doherty was English, i do think there would be more of a reluctance to criticize him irrespective of how valid the current criticism of Doherty is.  
If MD was English, I doubt he'd have so many on here making excuses for him, either.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 9:36pm
the continued obsession with our players is just absolutely insane. doherty with no connection to the north either. I just cant imagine ever caring about how i dont know jamal lewis is doing on a week to week basis and posting in an NI fans forum about it, insane to me
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 9:50pm

Except that Spurs fans don't have it in for those players (Dier possibly, but Sissoko the exact opposite).

The one exception is Aurier, who is roundly scorned. But that only helps Doherty, since so many of want to see him (MD) do well in Aurier's position.

In the end you can make all the excuses you like, but when a player under no pressure regularly hits simple ten yard passes three yards off the mark, fails to get even o9ne decent cross in, or allows the opposition LB to tear him a new one time-after-time without at least trying to kick him, there comes a time when you just have to say: "Off to the Reserves son, until you can show us why you should be back in the team"

Your telling me Spurs fans rate Sissoko and Davies? I’d hate to see what they say about the guys they don’t rate. 

Doherty was very poor and the first goal he was shambolic.  I made the pretty clear above who’s making excuses pointing out the reason he got torn asunder besides the fact he played terrible (Arsenal went 2 and 3 on 1 on him and he had little protection) isn’t making excuses it’s an observation one that Mourinho clearly made also as he hauled Bale off and put Sissoko on to address this. 

The move really has gone disastrously for him to be honest. Like you say even crossing a ball now the basics of football cross a ball first time. He’s half afraid to cross the ball half the time. 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 10:02pm

My point still stands if Doherty was English, i do think there would be more of a reluctance to criticize him irrespective of how valid the current criticism of Doherty is.  
If MD was English, I doubt he'd have so many on here making excuses for him, either.

I'm not making excuses for Doherty but where do you get the "so many on here" are? Are you referring ot the game yesterday or over the whole season?  I think most Irish supporters know he hasn't been good so far at Spurs from what I've seen on here. 

Edited by irishmufc - 15 Mar 2021 at 10:03pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

the continued obsession with our players is just absolutely insane. doherty with no connection to the north either. I just cant imagine ever caring about how i dont know jamal lewis is doing on a week to week basis and posting in an NI fans forum about it, insane to me
I'm a Spurs fan.

I've also posted on the Parrott thread a couple of times.

As for the rest....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 11:36pm

Your telling me Spurs fans rate Sissoko and Davies? I’d hate to see what they say about the guys they don’t rate.

Yes, I'm telling you that Sissoko has completely turned Spurs fans round after a pretty dreadful first couple of seasons eg:
https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/in-focus-moussa-sissoko-should-get-player-of-the-season/

Former players too.
Ossie Ardiles:
“We’re here to present the first Legends’ Player of the Season award in the history of the Club and this year it’s going to be Moussa Sissoko. He’s had an extraordinary season, he’s been absolutely brilliant. Especially with the way he started his career with us, it was very difficult for him but he’s come to his level of play in an incredible manner and right now I believe he’s one of our most important players.”
https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2019/may/moussa-sissoko-crowned-legends-player-of-the-season/

Pundits as well:
"Is Moussa Sissoko Tottenham Hotspur’s best player this season?

Spurs’ Player of the Year award could well go to someone who nobody would’ve believed back in August: Moussa Sissoko. The French midfielder has been nothing short of outstanding for Mauricio Pochettino this season. It has taken a while, but Sissoko, a £30 million signing in 2016, is finally a key player for the North Londoners."
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/03/07/could-moussa-sissoko-win-spurs-player-of-the-year-award/

As for Davies, most Spurs fans see him as a squad player, no more, and are happy enough now that Reguilon has signed.

Doherty was very poor and the first goal he was shambolic.  I made the pretty clear above who’s making excuses pointing out the reason he got torn asunder besides the fact he played terrible (Arsenal went 2 and 3 on 1 on him and he had little protection) isn’t making excuses it’s an observation one that Mourinho clearly made also as he hauled Bale off and put Sissoko on to address this. 
I think the point that many don't get is why Arsenal doubled up on him, but not Reguilon? (Clue: Weak link)

And how come that if anything, Doherty was even worse in the last half hour after Sissoko came on?

The move really has gone disastrously for him to be honest. Like you say even crossing a ball now the basics of football cross a ball first time. He’s half afraid to cross the ball half the time. 
Yep.

Sadly.

Edited by Territorial - 15 Mar 2021 at 11:37pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:27am
The articles you have linked are from 2019 and are irrelevant today. Sissoko is not thought in anyway like that at Spurs now and the majority of fans don't think much of him to be honest. 
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:40am
Doherty is a wing back and was always better going forward.  He was excellent at Wolves because their system played to his strengths and the right sided centre back shares the defensive duties.  At Spurs, not only is he asked to do a different job but JM’s approach is so negative that the attacking aspects of his game don’t get much outlet.  The pity is that there looked to be a promising link up between himself and Bale but that only works when you are playing an attacking game.  He should move on during the summer.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

The articles you have linked are from 2019 and are irrelevant today. Sissoko is not thought in anyway like that at Spurs now and the majority of fans don't think much of him to be honest. 

As a ST holder, I suspect I know rather more about this than you.

And I can tell you, Sissoko is hugely liked by Spurs fans, all the more so for having turned things round 180 degrees.

Incidentally he was also recalled by the French NT (65 caps), after a period out in the cold due to poor form.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 3:53pm

And I can tell you, Sissoko is hugely liked by Spurs fans, all the more so for having turned things round 180 degrees.

Incidentally he was also recalled by the French NT (65 caps), after a period out in the cold due to poor form.

Do Tottenham not have any fan forums?
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Do Tottenham not have any fan forums?

Terri spends more time on the Arsenal ones. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 16 Mar 2021 at 4:04pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 138>
  Share Topic