You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 138>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:09pm
How did he play today 
Sponsored Links

Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

How did he play today 
Ran out of steam and taken off.. a couple of decent moves going forward but looked average defensively. Seamus Coleman has been excellent so far today 
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:12pm

How did he play today 

Great run and volly in the first half should of scored, looks tired last 15mins. Holis position has been extremely high up that side and has attacked well. Coleman on the other hand has defended really well
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:13pm
is he 'match fit' now all this time on from the Finland game?

That's the only reason he and the rest of the Irish team failed to perform, as I am given to understand it..
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

That's the only reason he and the rest of the Irish team failed to perform, as I am given to understand it..
Looks unfit to me 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:14pm

It's *a* reason...
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:39pm
wing back not a full back. Spurs will find out the hard way. Jesus I hope I’m wrong!
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

wing back not a full back. Spurs will find out the hard way. Jesus I hope I’m wrong!

Is there really that big a difference - especially in the modern game?

The huge disparity between playing at fullback and wingback is something I only seem to read about on here.

Doherty has played at both leftback and rightback during his career. And I even seem to remember him playing in central defence at Hibs.

Apparently he can't play on the right side of midfield, either.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:52pm

Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Is there really that big a difference - especially in the modern game?

The huge disparity between playing at fullback and wingback is something I only seem to read about on here.

Doherty has played at both leftback and rightback during his career. And I even seem to remember him playing in central defence at Hibs.

Apparently he can't play on the right side of midfield, either.
He was at fault for braitwaite’s goal last year. All his praise is for goals and assists. I do not rate him as an out and out full back. He was a championship player when he was full back. Victor Moses is best example. Average winger. Unbelievable as wing back 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

How did he play today 
Ran out of steam and taken off.. a couple of decent moves going forward but looked average defensively. Seamus Coleman has been excellent so far today 

I feel for the boy.  Thrown in at the deep end.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:35pm
Not sure it should be a case of who is better between coleman and doherty as they both play for us and are both good in different ways.

What concerns me is that ireland have, at a stretch, 4 good players in the squad... not great players, but good premier league players.

Those 4 I would say are Coleman, Doherty, Egan and Stevens. We simply don't have the luxury of saying its OK to leave one of the 4 good players we have out of the team.

All four need to play even if one plays out of position.

Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Not sure it should be a case of who is better between coleman and doherty as they both play for us and are both good in different ways.

What concerns me is that ireland have, at a stretch, 4 good players in the squad... not great players, but good premier league players.

Those 4 I would say are Coleman, Doherty, Egan and Stevens. We simply don't have the luxury of saying its OK to leave one of the 4 good players we have out of the team.

All four need to play even if one plays out of position.

Kenny will pick players who perform when given the Jersey. That’s what all good managers do. Doherty and Stevens didn’t in the last two games. If that continues then Coleman and Brady can step in.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:54pm
Good managers get the best out of the best players available to them..

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:54pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:58pm
I only caught the first half, but he was basically playing as a wing back.

I said a few pages back that under Jose, Spurs will use one flank as their go to wing where the full back will stay extremely high and the other not so much. Davies definitely played a lot deeper than Doherty.

For those who think his attacking abilities will be curtailed, you will be very much mistaken.

I do think his starting position needs a bit of work mind, the commentators made a point that he's better coming onto the ball a little less higher up than he was, I'd be very much in agreement. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:44pm

How did he play today 

Coleman was exceptional I’d say Coleman is thinking to himself pity this managerial appointment/ambition wasn’t shown 5 years ago. Coleman still isn’t done yet at Everton even Ancelotti has hinted he’s very happy with his full backs at the moment and I’d agree with him Digne and Coleman comfortably two of their better players certainly more competent than a few of their CBs Micheal Keane namely.

Everton fans in general seem to think they need to replace him this year which is interesting you can’t argue he hasn’t been quite as good post leg break as he was pre leg break. 

Doherty looks woeful unfit I get pre season as Mourinho said was a mess but my goodness he could have been a bit more fitter looks like he will need 4/5 quick games to get back up to speed at least.

Edited by kevin100 - 13 Sep 2020 at 11:45pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 12:03am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

How did he play today 

Coleman was exceptional I’d say Coleman is thinking to himself pity this managerial appointment/ambition wasn’t shown 5 years ago. Coleman still isn’t done yet at Everton even Ancelotti has hinted he’s very happy with his full backs at the moment and I’d agree with him Digne and Coleman comfortably two of their better players certainly more competent than a few of their CBs Micheal Keane namely.

Everton fans in general seem to think they need to replace him this year which is interesting you can’t argue he hasn’t been quite as good post leg break as he was pre leg break. 

Doherty looks woeful unfit I get pre season as Mourinho said was a mess but my goodness he could have been a bit more fitter looks like he will need 4/5 quick games to get back up to speed at least.

Mourinho said as much re: Doherty's fitness. Understandable in a way given he played virtually every game for Wolves as they competed on two fronts well into the business end of the season. Wolves looked dead on their feet in the game against Sevilla.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:49am

His manager doesn't seem to think so.

“I could also feel some of my players are not fit. Matt (Doherty) was struggling to play the way he plays, as an example."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 138>
  Share Topic