Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 138>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 4:50pm
I think the problem with Doherty is that he's only going to be truly effective if he's played in exactly the same system as Wolves deploy, and it's questionable whether we have the right type of centre backs to start a back 3 (let alone the rest of the system). He has a great engine and that's the primary reason he does so well as a wing back. The rest of his game is unexceptional though and that's why he looks pretty ordinary when played in other positions.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 4:55pm
he is still so young
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 5:00pm
LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 12:36am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I think the problem with Doherty is that he's only going to be truly effective if he's played in exactly the same system as Wolves deploy, and it's questionable whether we have the right type of centre backs to start a back 3 (let alone the rest of the system). He has a great engine and that's the primary reason he does so well as a wing back. The rest of his game is unexceptional though and that's why he looks pretty ordinary when played in other positions.

egan excels in a back 3 every week and stevens excels at lwb. we could make it work between duffy/k long/clark/etc plus younger players coming through like collins

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 7:21am
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

egan excels in a back 3 every week and stevens excels at lwb. we could make it work between duffy/k long/clark/etc plus younger players coming through like collins

Egan plays as the centre of a 3, this is the position that Duffy/Long would also be best in a 3. We don't have any obvious candidates to play the wide centre-back roles. You mention Collins, but from what I've seen of him he's very much in the mould of a traditional centre back too.

Edited by The O'Shea - 29 Oct 2019 at 7:21am
We're decent enough..
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 4:20pm
Went down with an ankle injury. Came back on the pitch but hope it’s ok. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Went down with an ankle injury. Came back on the pitch but hope it’s ok. 

Went down again. Coming off now. 
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 4:32pm
Hopefully he’s ok I really think the way to beat the Danes is a 3 5 2 with wing backs. That’ll be severely hampered if Doherty is injured
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 4:51pm
Christie going to start then.
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 3:40am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Christie going to start then.

Cry
Linzark
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 4:49am
Sounds like he should be fine for Denmark
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 10:46pm
Nice to see the youngster get 90mins under his belt 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:37pm
Young Doherty lost his man for the goal I hear. Naive defending but being  so young he has time to improve and will learn from this.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 10:51pm
Tbf, I actually thought Doherty was pretty quiet for 55-60 minutes. He was very good in the last 30 though (Denmark goal aside). Not quite a good enough performance to definitively say he's overtaken Coleman though, that will depend on how they both get on over the next 4 months.
We're decent enough..
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:27am
Doherty is a million times the player Coleman is
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Is this a wind up? Doherty literally stood still for the Braithwaite goal, it was a atrocious mistake. Coleman is streets ahead of Doherty even if some think he’s on the decline. Doherty should be used as a right wing back or left on the bench. He cost us the game last night as we would have likely scored in the end as we would be bombarding their goal had it still been 0-0 come the last 15 
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:31am
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Is this a wind up? Doherty literally stood still for the Braithwaite goal, it was a atrocious mistake. Coleman is streets ahead of Doherty even if some think he’s on the decline. Doherty should be used as a right wing back or left on the bench. He cost us the game last night as we would have likely scored in the end as we would be bombarding their goal had it still been 0-0 come the last 15 

whatever mistake he made for the goal he cancelled it out with his own. Coleman does not really offer much anymore IMO and has done little in a long while (broken leg aside). if its a shhotout for the right back spot only then Doherty would get my vote. much more threatening in the oppositions half.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:36am
Most managers would continue with Coleman at full-back, the argument is about wing-backs here. Doherty seems to be an excellent wing-back and a defensively poor full-back. He switched off twice last night, his pace bailing him out on the other occasion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 138>
  Share Topic