Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 138>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:30pm
Yeah but the midfielders are not out and out strikers and can't score for love nor money.  We have not been scoring goals the last 2 yrs playing with 1 up front.  People said we were overrun in midfield under Trap with 2 in the middle yet we are even more overrun with 3 in the middle now. I just personally would like us to attack more instead of playing not to get hammered.  I think with 2 strikers who are actually strikers would at least give us a bit more threat as opposed to playing one lad up front who cant score (Long) chasing hopeless long balls followed by a midfield who can't score.  At least Long could knock it down to maybe someone like McGoldrick or Maguire or whoever.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Yeah but the midfielders are not out and out strikers and can't score for love nor money.  We have not been scoring goals the last 2 yrs playing with 1 up front.  People said we were overrun in midfield under Trap with 2 in the middle yet we are even more overrun with 3 in the middle now. I just personally would like us to attack more instead of playing not to get hammered.  I think with 2 strikers who are actually strikers would at least give us a bit more threat as opposed to playing one lad up front who cant score (Long) chasing hopeless long balls followed by a midfield who can't score.  At least Long could knock it down to maybe someone like McGoldrick or Maguire or whoever.
We had players who could play with two in the middle under Trap. I'm not sure we have two strikers either!
No matter what manager came in he was always going to try and keep it tight. Our best players are defensive and we have very few technically blessed players. 
The question is whether we can be better organised and to make the most of the ball when we have it.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I actually think Robinson & O'Dowda on either flank with McGoldrick or Long in the short term in the 9 has decent potential as a front 3.

McGoldrick has the ability to drop deep also, which is an added bonus as his link up play would be better than Long's imo. 

If your centre forward likes dropping deep, you then encourage the wide men to play narrow and join the attack and nearly have them playing as duo if we're going centrally or more direct (again in theory) 

Look we have to be realistic too, given the standard of player we have at the most part but I definitely think we could see a bit of joy using the 4-5-1 if we persisted with it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:21am
The problem there is you would have to drop Brady. I'm also not sure about O'Dowda.
I think having Coleman and Doherty on the right is an idea worth trying.
If Brady gets fitness and form back then both sides would be capable of getting decent balls in, although it still leaves the problem of a natural number 9, or even a goal scoring midfielder breaking into the box, to get on the end of them!
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:09pm
Randolph

Coleman Duffy Long Stevens

Doherty Rice Arter Brady

O'Dowda/Hourihane/Robinson

Long/Maguire/Obafemi

Would love to see a 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 like this
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:17pm
I think a 4-4-3-3 would be our best option too.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:44pm
Joking aside, I think you're right and that is close to our best back four, the only debate being around Long. Doherty needs to be looked at further on, Brady needs a run in his natural position and hopefully Rice starts. 
The problem is still the midfield, even if Rice stays with us. Hourihane has been playing a bit deeper with Villa and hasn't looked great. I don't think he is the answer, which is why I would like to see Crowley get a chance in Gibraltar. 
I felt he was, and possibly is, one of the cause célèbres that are fashionable on here without much knowledge of how good he is. The reality of the situation is we have little else. 
Maybe Mick would like to play McGoldrick deeper, but I don't think that plays to his strengths and would make us seem we were playing with a traditional midfield two. 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 2:02pm
Crowley could be a very interesting shout. Completely forgot about him when posting this up. We 100% need a creative playmaker or no. 10 and I think while Robinson, O'Dowda or Hourihane could possibly play that role, Crowley is definitely worth a look at. Fingers crossed he's in the sane mould as Wes and at just 21, he could have a long career ahead in green.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 2:15pm
O'Dowda is a winger, and a bit of a one-trick pony at that. Robinson's strengths are pace and finishing, more suited to wide in a three or up front. 
Hourihane and Browne are the other options and I have doubts about both.

Not that it is relevant, I felt Wes was a bit overrated and forced passes when there was no need. We do need an option like him in the squad though.
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 3:15pm
I would start with...

. randolph

coleman duffy cunningham

doherty. rice mccarthy mcclean

brady. obafemi long  

Green rebel View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 5:31pm
I think personally Alan Browne needs to be giving another go,I heard he  had difficulty trying to understand his role in midfield with Mon,no surprise there,his goal ratio from midfield is excellent and from what I have seen of Preston this year,I would have him in over odowda,hourihane and arter

Edited by Green rebel - 08 Dec 2018 at 5:32pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 5:39pm
He is certain to get another couple of chances due to the lack of options. Again, I don't think he is the answer as his passing is incredibly poor.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

FFS 

LOL
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:51pm
Goal
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:52pm
scores again
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:54pm
Has had an average enough game, but did well to follow on for the rebound and put it away. Clark was very good at the back for Newcastle, Benitez will no doubt drop him anyway.
We're decent enough..
BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 6:06pm
Replay of young Doherty's goal:  http://streamja.com/JZgE

Edited by BippityBoop - 09 Dec 2018 at 6:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 138>
  Share Topic