You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 138>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 12:31am
Took that goal very well, strikers finish into the top of the net Clap
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 11:07pm
Nice assist tonight
BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 1:03am
Replay of Dohertys assist: http://streamja.com/JZLX
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:40pm
Get in Matt, really would like him to get a few caps. 26 now. Should be in the first 11 under Mick.
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Get in Matt, really would like him to get a few caps. 26 now. Should be in the first 11 under Mick.

Playing where? 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:49pm
On club form he should be ahead of Coleman.
David McWilliams View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David McWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:07pm
Would have to be 451 with Doherty LB

-----------------------Randolph

Coleman--------- Duffy--------- Clark---------- Doherty

----------Arter-------- McCarthy---- Hourihane

Brady-------- -------------------------------------- Robinson
-----------------------McGoldrick------------------------

Obviously there would be room for Rice in the middle.
O'Dowda, Browne, McLean, Cunningham, Obafemi etc on the bench
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Playing where? 

Where he plays for his club would be ideal.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:13pm
No you cant be playing doherty at left back now. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by David McWilliams David McWilliams wrote:

He was a very, very average left-back. His career has taken off since he moved to the right. We have to stop playing players out of position. 
Likewise, Brady is not a right winger. 
Also, who is this McCarthy lad?

And it is McClean!!!!!
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by David McWilliams David McWilliams wrote:

Enough of this sticking players in the wrong positions crap, it never has worked for us, especially at left back. Also picking Brady as a right winger is just demented.
David McWilliams View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David McWilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:26pm
O'Neill manging was us chaos. Even players playing in their correct position was awful. At international level you have to make allowances for the squad you have. England play Walkers at CB to allow Trippier in to the team. We can't drop either Coleman or Doherty, it would be a waste to do so, so you need to play one in another positon to fit them both in.

Would yous drop one of them? Play Coleman CB? 

Similarly, Brady has played both on the right and left for Burnley before his injury. He is a wide player.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:27pm
Enough of this sticking players in the wrong positions crap, it never has worked for us, especially at left back. Also picking Brady as a right winger is just demented.
[/QUOTE]

Did we not constantly play Denis Irwin out of position? I think that worked well enough for us.

Don't agree with Cyrus as a centre mid or playing average players out of position for no apparent reason. However, if we have two talented in form players who play the same or similar positions there is a strong argument for accommodating both. Particularly when we have so many average players. 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 10:45pm
Play the fella on the right wing ahead of Coleman- as a RWB, he goes forward and puts in crosses, there isn't all that much different about what he would be asked to do playing a bit further forward. It isn't as if he would be keeping anyone brilliant out of the team at right wing either. Sometimes the most obvious solution is also the likliest one to work. 

This left back thing is nonsense, as is changing the position of every single outfield player just to accommodate him, as MON would have us believe he was required to do. If Doherty can't handle a transition from RWB to right wing, he isn't as good a player as everyone is making him out to be. By the way, I believe he is a good player and would have little difficulty adapting. He has proven an excellent attacker for Wolves with assists & the odd goal, why the fcuk would you waste that talent in an area we ridiculously short in to play him out of position at LB ?

Talk of dropping Coleman is also complete nonsense, its trying to get away from these mad calls Mick should be, not making more of them. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:00pm
I could see Mick playing Doherty in the right midfield position, similar to what he did with the likes of Steve Finnan and Gary Kelly in the past. There are not too many options on the RM position too. Can't see Mick moving Coleman from Right back for some reason. Maybe to two f them would combine well on the right? Oddly last time Mick was in charge he had an abundance  of right backs, Steve Finnan, Steven Carr, Gary Kelly.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:11pm
It was big Mick who discovered Doherty and bought him over to England in the first place so you'd think he'd rate him personally in a way MON clearly never did
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

I could see Mick playing Doherty in the right midfield position, similar to what he did with the likes of Steve Finnan and Gary Kelly in the past. There are not too many options on the RM position too. Can't see Mick moving Coleman from Right back for some reason. Maybe to two f them would combine well on the right? Oddly last time Mick was in charge he had an abundance  of right backs, Steve Finnan, Steven Carr, Gary Kelly.

Thought of that as well, Finnan & Kelly worked well in '02 World Cup. For the life of me, I still can't figure out how MON had Doherty in squads for over 2 years and seemingly never thought of trying it. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 12:04am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Thought of that as well, Finnan & Kelly worked well in '02 World Cup. For the life of me, I still can't figure out how MON had Doherty in squads for over 2 years and seemingly never thought of trying it. 

It is definitely a plan that might work against Denmark and Switzerland home and away but beyond that it seems a little too negative. However, to make it work, it can't be tried in a big game without having been tried before and there are basically no friendlies in which to try it.

I'd definitely try it against Gibraltar and see how it goes. Against Georgia at home, not so sure, but I suppose it depends how it goes against Gibraltar. They are good on the ball but not massively creative so I'm not sure we'd need a defender at right midfield for solidity's sake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 138>
  Share Topic