FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matt Doherty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 138>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 4:27pm
Probably the least surprising Irish transfer move of the summer but good to see him back in the Premier League. Must have made a fortune for not playing that much football in the last few years, hopefully gets a regular game now he's back at Wolves. Looks like we'll have plenty of Irish players playing regularly or semi-regularly in the Premier League next season which is good to see.
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 4:13pm
I heard a 3 year deal.  He should have been made manager as he knows the club. 
AKA pedantic kunt
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 4:06pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 1:56pm
Wolves reporters saying this is close. Wouldn't say I'm entirely convinced as a Wolves fan not because I don't rate Doherty but Lopetegui has been a fairly reliably back 4 preferred Coach and I don't rate Doc in a 4. But I think most of our decisions are going through Lopetegui right now so he must see a use for him

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 6:15pm
I love how a terrible move is dressed up as decent because it's sunny in Madrid. Maybe the FAI should get all our younger players on sun beds? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by SeanC SeanC wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Lads saying the move to Madrid would be good for him for footballing reasons 😀😀😀😀
Hey try opening your mind a little - he got to work with elite players and manager at the top end of Spanish league for four months. It wasn’t all bad. 
You're saying that like Spurs are a League One side.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 10:17pm

Lads saying the move to Madrid would be good for him for footballing reasons 😀😀😀😀
Hey try opening your mind a little - he got to work with elite players and manager at the top end of Spanish league for four months. It wasn’t all bad. 

And play no real competitive football. It was bad.
I love beer gardens
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 10:17pm

Got to watch you mean 
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 10:14pm

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'd say he'll play plenty at Wolves. Just because he was a squad player at Spurs or hardly got a kick in Madrid doesn't mean he won't get his place in a bottom half EPL team.

Wolves actually have a lot of options at RB/RWB and LB/LWB.

Nélson Semedo, Ki-Jana Hoever and Bendegúz Bolla for the right side.

Hugo Beuno, Jonny, Rayan Aït-Nouri and Toti for the left side.

Maybe Wolves will move one two or three of them.

I'd be surprised if Semedo doesnt move on, dont they have FFP issues? I wouldnt think Doherty has moved to Wolves to sit on the bench. Why bother going there at all if that's the case, when by all accounts he could have just taken the moolah in Saudi?

I think he'll start regularly as the first choice RWB at Wolves. Despite all the criticism he ships on here, he remains one of our best footballers and I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

Bolla just had two very good loans in a row at Grasshopper in Switzerland and has 10+ caps for Hungary. He could provide good competition for the RB position. He's 23.

Wolves should be okay financially with the sales of Rubén Neves, Conor Coady and Nathan Collins + Jo�£o Moutinho, Adama Taroré and Diego Costa leaving on free transfers.

Surely the books are in order now.

Doherty was an idiot for joining Spurs. Under Nuno, he was playing within a system tailor made for him to play at an optimum level. The 3 best seasons of his career.

Hindsight is 20/20. Can you imagine the reaction from fans if he had turned down Spurs to stay at Wolves?

Luckily, I'm an oracle and predicted that it was a bad idea at the time when Kenny's Kids was hyping it up on Twitter.

Wolves were a very stable top 6/7 club at the time.

Hard to resist the dollars and the prospect of challenging yourself vs the very best. I'd imagine he was given assurances from the Spurs boss at the time also which were never really honoured. Wolves also slipped from 7th in the PL to 13th the season after they let him go.

The real reason why Wolves turned to sh*t was Raúl Jiménez's head injury. He's never been the same. 

He was one of the best strikers in the league pre-injury.

The also had no luck last season with SaÅ¡a Kalajdžić getting injured on his debut. ACL. Good ST.

Wolves have the makings of a good team again if they can buy a ST who is prolific.

I dont disagree with any of that, Jimenez has never been the same, but Doherty was still a significant loss to them that season also. He had been at the peak of his powers the season before with 7 goals in 50 appearances including 3 in 11 in Europe.
Idah Dream!
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 3:46pm

I'd say he'll play plenty at Wolves. Just because he was a squad player at Spurs or hardly got a kick in Madrid doesn't mean he won't get his place in a bottom half EPL team.

I'd be surprised if Semedo doesnt move on, dont they have FFP issues? I wouldnt think Doherty has moved to Wolves to sit on the bench. Why bother going there at all if that's the case, when by all accounts he could have just taken the moolah in Saudi?

I think he'll start regularly as the first choice RWB at Wolves. Despite all the criticism he ships on here, he remains one of our best footballers and I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

Bolla just had two very good loans in a row at Grasshopper in Switzerland and has 10+ caps for Hungary. He could provide good competition for the RB position. He's 23.

Wolves should be okay financially with the sales of Rubén Neves, Conor Coady and Nathan Collins + Jo�£o Moutinho, Adama Taroré and Diego Costa leaving on free transfers.

Doherty was an idiot for joining Spurs. Under Nuno, he was playing within a system tailor made for him to play at an optimum level. The 3 best seasons of his career.

Hindsight is 20/20. Can you imagine the reaction from fans if he had turned down Spurs to stay at Wolves?

Luckily, I'm an oracle and predicted that it was a bad idea at the time when Kenny's Kids was hyping it up on Twitter.

Hard to resist the dollars and the prospect of challenging yourself vs the very best. I'd imagine he was given assurances from the Spurs boss at the time also which were never really honoured. Wolves also slipped from 7th in the PL to 13th the season after they let him go.

The real reason why Wolves turned to sh*t was Raúl Jiménez's head injury. He's never been the same. 

He was one of the best strikers in the league pre-injury.

The also had no luck last season with SaÅ¡a Kalajdžić getting injured on his debut. ACL. Good ST.

Wolves have the makings of a good team again if they can buy a ST who is prolific.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 3:39pm

Idah Dream!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 3:24pm

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 3:12pm

We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 2:50pm

Wolves should be okay financially with the sales of Rubén Neves, Conor Coady and Nathan Collins + João Moutinho, Adama Taroré and Diego Costa leaving on free transfers.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 2:41pm

Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Luder Luder wrote:

Will he get regulars starts at Wolves? Lopetegui plays with four at the back.

This seems like a critical point! Doherty is past his best and was never the greatest as a full back anyway. I can't see him being a regular, if he gets his game at all. Having said that, maybe he just misses the place, after two unsuccessful spells away, and he doesn't give a rat's ass if he gets his game or not. This would be kind of fair enough.

I don't think he's going to get any better, but I'm not sure he's "past his best" either -he's not a full back that has ever relied on lightning pace to do his job. He was really good when Conte actually played him for Spurs in the 2nd half of 2021/22 and the rare occasions he got a chance in the 1st half of 2022/23 - I don't think there's much of a sign of decline with him, he just needs to be played regularly.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 2:32pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 138>
  Share Topic