You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English Commentators prouncing Irish Surnames

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angryant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 11:42am

Tim CaHILL pronounces it like that.

The Darren O'Dea(day) pronouncing is actually pretty widespread. They pronounce it O'Day in the States as well as in Oz.

Another one is Fahey, or Farhey as they say over there.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 11:51am
Keith fahey is more of a keith fawhey
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 12:00pm
On the Tipperary hurling team over the past 10/15 years there have been a good few Cahill's playing , you don't pronounce them like "Kayhill" around there! 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Biffo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

What drives me mad is epl fans here doing the same especially with Tim Cahill. Think that goon on tv3 does the same.Thumbs Down

In Australia it's pronounced Kahil, if you were talking to Timmy and said Cahill -he'd say it's actually Kahill.

who is right?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Biffo Biffo wrote:

What drives me mad is epl fans here doing the same especially with Tim Cahill. Think that goon on tv3 does the same.Thumbs Down

In Australia it's pronounced Kahil, if you were talking to Timmy and said Cahill -he'd say it's actually Kahill.

who is right?

Given that Tim Cahills roots are Irish as are Gary Cahills the Irish way of saying is right of course Wink
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 12:32pm
The thing that pissed me off most (though it's non-Irish related) was when Hamilton used to call Jaap Stam "Schtoom", wtf like?? 
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

It seems to be accepted in dublin pubs now that Tim or Gary Cahill are pronounced KHILL
Dublin pubs are full of pricks watching sport,i refuse to go to a pub to watch any sport
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 12:43pm
its the same as George Hamilton
Milan-Meelan
Barcalona-Bar-ha-lona
Valencia-Va-len-(big gozzy noise)-ia
etc
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 1:01pm
My dad said he saw an interview with Lucas Neill and he said Timmy Cahill with the Irish pronunciation. He's also of Irish ancestory.

Always annoyed me when English commentators say McGrath with the emphasis on the "th"
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

What pisses me off most of all is that the majority of British sports commentator's call Ireland "island" Angry

Pronounce your f**king r"s  Thumbs Up

Some call us Ahhland. (actually, Ronnie Whelan almost does this)

They always used to called Kevin Moran, More-ann.

dickybhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 1:45pm
Theres a lot of lazyness and arrogance from English commentators regarding Irish names.

eg Doherty they either put a 'c' in it or say doe erty
Fahey they normally say far-hee or sometimes fay.
Mahon is always mahn or ma-hone.

They seem to make an effort with other foreigners though, I've never heard Thierry Henry called Terry Henry (where you pronounce the H)

Also Owen Coyle is always described as Scottish even though he played admittedly only once for Ireland, and he has several times in interviews mentioned the fact that his parents are from donegal.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 2:09pm
Charlie Hockey
Sillian Sheridan
Mark KinSELLA.

The Brits don't even try with names that are not English.  It's what makes them loveable really.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
John W View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 2:15pm
Ryle Nugent get sexual plaesure of prouncing French players names. I can see cracking one out screaming Rooougerieeeeee
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 2:23pm
Gary Dockerty
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

What pisses me off most of all is that the majority of British sports commentator's call Ireland "island" Angry

Some call us Ahhland. (actually, Ronnie Whelan almost does this)

They always used to called Kevin Moran, More-ann.

Thats funny out he's forever saying that LOL

jackshat View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Jack shat in case you're wondering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackshat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Dont know if theres a thread on this put down any ive missed.

Andy Keogh- Andy Keeeeeoooooo

Darren O Dea - Darren O Day (Heard this one recently)

Tim Cahill- Tim Caayhill (maybe cahill pronounces it like that himself)

Steve McMahon- Steve McMaan (The dont pronounce the h)

This isnt football related but why do the english pronunce the g in gallagher.its silent in ireland.well it is in mayo.

So it's pronunced "allaher" in Mayo?........very odd

LOL

I think he means gallaher. 

I would always pronounce it Gallagher myself.
It's Jack Shat
jackshat View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Jack shat in case you're wondering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackshat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

its the same as George Hamilton
Milan-Meelan
Barcalona-Bar-ha-lona
Valencia-Va-len-(big gozzy noise)-ia
etc

That mans English is f**king dreadful at timesLOL
It's Jack Shat
Nnamdi Asomugha View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nnamdi Asomugha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 5:45pm

In fairness to the British commentators they could counteract us and tell us to pronounce our h's in words such as, thick, thirty, three etc. So I wouldnt hold it against them there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic