You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Social Welfare.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 2:38pm
Well done daboi I think that one is really hits the nail on the head for efficiency.  

If anything this drives people out of the family home and into either social housing or other secondary benefits and costing the state more.  

AKA pedantic kunt
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Well done daboi I think that one is really hits the nail on the head for efficiency.  

If anything this drives people out of the family home and into either social housing or other secondary benefits and costing the state more.  

A lot of people at this. Have 2 cousins, both qualified teachers with no jobs to be had a couple of years ago. Moved out of family home solely for this reason.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 3:30pm
Remember though you will then get comments such as

"I know a guy and his Ma and DA are loaded and they give him 200 quid a week and he also gets the dole.

This country is a bloody joke it makes me sick "
AKA pedantic kunt
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

if they bring in new technology will we have the usual case of civil servants refusing to use the machines unless they get a pay rise?

Well your talking bollocks there.name the last time social welfare staff did this.

yeah really,

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/use-fingerprint-machine-or-lose-wages-staff-told-3009207.html

Baldrick it was an honest question. Confused
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 4:07pm
Read rossiemans post again and then  read the link to your article again.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 4:09pm
did i say welfare staff in my post baldrick? i said civil servants. 

Edited by Citizen - 04 Mar 2012 at 4:11pm

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 4:11pm
But as Freewheelers says they are not all the same. 

Its that clueless mentality that you have in relation to this that is the problem.

Its like saying all electricians are the same. 

Your ignorance on this issue is embarassing.
AKA pedantic kunt
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

if they bring in new technology will we have the usual case of civil servants refusing to use the machines unless they get a pay rise?

Surprised at you making such a glib and lazy statement Citz.  My office recently brought in the electronic signing I spoke of, no fuss, no resistance and both staff and public very pleased with its implementation.  Civil servants, believe it or not Citz, do move with the times............yes there are dinosaurs and deadwood amongst us, but you get them everywhere.  And finally Citz, have you not heard of the pension levy which in effect was a pay cut by a manufactured name...........as I said Citz, suprised at you making such a lazy Sunday Indo-esque generalisation. Thumbs Down
was not having a pop FW, but they did it in the immigration bureau. Job expansion and public sector unions don't compliment each other. If your being honest do you not think there is a culture of 'thats someone elses job', didn't you say before you were not allowed change the clock an hour forward after the the time went forward an hour in the winter? as 'it was someone elses job'.

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 4:19pm

But as Freewheelers says they are not all the same. 

Its that clueless mentality that you have in relation to this that is the problem.

Its like saying all electricians are the same. 

Your ignorance on this issue is embarassing.
jaysus sorry i touched a nerve with you baldy, I know enough about the public sector unions to know that they have far too much power and influence. All staff might not be the same, but the unions are, they have to justify their 30euro monthly subs.  they breed entitlement into many public sector workers. Sure how else is it widely recognised that public sector workers cannot get sacked for under-performance.

Edited by Citizen - 04 Mar 2012 at 4:21pm

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 4:19pm
There is also a culture of staying back and getting things done for no extra pay and doing what ever it takes but sure that does not fit the lazy cliche that many out there hold. 

Sure there was a whole thread on here about lads taking the piss in shops around the Country. Should we all now tar private sector or shop workers with the same brush.  No we shouldnt beause that would be lazy and glib as FreeWheeler says. 

Edited by Baldrick - 04 Mar 2012 at 4:20pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 4:21pm

Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Surprised at you making such a glib and lazy statement Citz.  My office recently brought in the electronic signing I spoke of, no fuss, no resistance and both staff and public very pleased with its implementation.  Civil servants, believe it or not Citz, do move with the times............yes there are dinosaurs and deadwood amongst us, but you get them everywhere.  And finally Citz, have you not heard of the pension levy which in effect was a pay cut by a manufactured name...........as I said Citz, suprised at you making such a lazy Sunday Indo-esque generalisation. Thumbs Down
was not having a pop FW, but they did it in the immigration bureau. Job expansion and public sector unions don't compliment each other. If your being honest do you not think there is a culture of 'thats someone elses job', didn't you say before you were not allowed change the clock an hour forward after the the time went forward an hour in the winter? as 'it was someone elses job'.

I would say its the opposite in my experience. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 4:26pm

There is also a culture of staying back and getting things done for no extra pay and doing what ever it takes but sure that does not fit the lazy cliche that many out there hold. 

Sure there was a whole thread on here about lads taking the piss in shops around the Country. Should we all now tar private sector or shop workers with the same brush.  No we shouldnt beause that would be lazy and glib as FreeWheeler says. 

maybe so Baldrick, but i lived with a lad who worked in the Dept of an Taoiseach. His weekly work consisted of booking 15 flights per week. If he worked an extra 7 hours a week he was entitled to a an extra day off paid. so he used to stay back and piss about on the internet for an extra seven hours a week. this meant he got an additional day off every week, so he got around 40(extra) days off a year. He revelled in it too. Do you think this is right?

So when people do stay back after hours are you sure no overtime, or time -off inlieu is granted

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 4:34pm
Never trust a sample of 1 as an indication of work practices in any industry. As I said in another post, if we were to do that the whole retail industry would be a joke.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by jackshat jackshat wrote:

Ahhh the Irish approach to everything means test this means test that.

That policy is one of the reasons we have such a two tier system where one group of people largely pay the taxes and see very little back from the state and another group of people do the opposite and it creates poverty traps etc. Universalism works pretty well in many scandanavian countries.

In relation to means testing the pension who are you trying to rule out, I don't quite understand that point. Because as far as I know it is means tested.

http://per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/Department-of-Social-Protection.pdf

Interesting reading this report.

The flexi system on welfare is an interesting idea

It's not means tested. There are multi millionaires out there who are claiming the full state pension.

Principles of PRSI

The social insurance system is based on two fundamental principles:

The Contributory Principle whereby there is a direct link between contributions paid and entitlement to a varying range of benefits and pensions that are payable as a right – if and when particular contingencies arise, and

The Solidarity Principle whereby contributions paid by insured persons are not actuarially linked to benefits but are instead redistributed to support contributors who are more vulnerable. It is an expression of solidarity between both earning groups and generations.
AKA pedantic kunt
soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 8:11pm

Originally posted by jackshat jackshat wrote:

Ahhh the Irish approach to everything means test this means test that.

That policy is one of the reasons we have such a two tier system where one group of people largely pay the taxes and see very little back from the state and another group of people do the opposite and it creates poverty traps etc. Universalism works pretty well in many scandanavian countries.

In relation to means testing the pension who are you trying to rule out, I don't quite understand that point. Because as far as I know it is means tested.

http://per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/Department-of-Social-Protection.pdf

Interesting reading this report.

The flexi system on welfare is an interesting idea

It's not means tested. There are multi millionaires out there who are claiming the full state pension.

Principles of PRSI

The social insurance system is based on two fundamental principles:

The Contributory Principle whereby there is a direct link between contributions paid and entitlement to a varying range of benefits and pensions that are payable as a right – if and when particular contingencies arise, and

The Solidarity Principle whereby contributions paid by insured persons are not actuarially linked to benefits but are instead redistributed to support contributors who are more vulnerable. It is an expression of solidarity between both earning groups and generations.

There was also a time when apart from the basic rate you also received a Pay Related benefit, so the more you earned the more you were paid.

Disappeared in the mid 1980's or so
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 8:16pm
THere needs to be an Incentive put in place that people on benefits can go back to work and still claim a portion of their benefits in order to make it worth their while.

At the moment if a person on a 3day week claiming benefits is offered a 5 day week its likely not worth their while to accept the extra work. THey would loose their benefits and their medical card, their partner would loose their benefits and their medical card too cause they are means tested. It means a person goes back to work for very little extra.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 8:17pm
The thread is in danger again of becoming Civil Servant bashing.............I know absolutely that there are sections in my own Dept where people are twiddling their thumbs, that is wrong, wrong, wrong and totally should be addressed.  The coalface staff such as Local Office and Revenue and Passport staff are doing an extremely selfless, dedicated and professional performance and I just felt Citizen your throwaway comment was a bit reckless and ill-thought out.

Fundamental flaws in the SW system need to be tackled and career scratcher people should definitely not be on the maximum payment rate for their whole lives and then get a Non-Contributory State Pension when they hit that age and the other sundry allowances one gets at 66, that's just daft and unsustainable and the Troika will surely insist on implementing changes. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
AndyMc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 8:54pm
I work in an area where we hire a high number of part time,
Flexible staff.

A huge problem for people is that I might offer them 2/3 hours work in a day, and they refuse because the minute you class a day a worked, your entitlements are forfeited.

At the moment the system would appear to be days unemployed, minus days worked, equals days paid.

A better system would possibly be 37.5 hours, minus hours worked = hours paid.

I sadly hear nearly everyday "it's not worth my while to work" for one reason or another.
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
  Share Topic