You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John O'Shea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 42>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 6:00pm
An Irish contingent at reading to rival PNE now 

Edited by Charlton's Child - 06 Jun 2018 at 6:01pm
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 9:46pm
Fair play to him for getting that move. 

You'd think at that age a lot of professional footballers would do a couple of years in the MLS as I assume they'd get offers. Even if the money wasn't great. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 9:49pm
Has 2 kids with another on the way. Even if he had offers from there, which I'd say would be unlikely, moving the whole family over would be a tricky move.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 5:45am
Reading fans don't seem very happy on their forum re John signing.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 6:38am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Well done to JOS on a great contribution to the Irish setup. Over 100 caps, two major tournaments (unfortunate it wasn’t more), unwaveringly committed to the cause. His membership of the top 5 Most decorated Irish players is just reward for his outstanding contribute.

Enjoy retirement.

Exactly a fantastic servant to Ireland and a top man.
ClapClapClap
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 2:08pm
John is retiring at the end of the season. 
I'd imagine he will be looking for a coaching job as he's done his coaching badges.

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

I'd imagine he will be looking for a coaching job as he's done his coaching badges.

As long as he doesn't do any more punditry or commentary I will wish him all the best!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Wonder if he'd be interested in the DoF role at Man U Tongue
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 3:20pm
Happy retirement to him, a top player for us. He did really well to get another 10 years after that terrible injury in 2009 which seemed to rob him of his athleticism.
We're decent enough..
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Happy retirement to him, a top player for us. He did really well to get another 10 years after that terrible injury in 2009 which seemed to rob him of his athleticism.

what injury was that??? did it affect him badly
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

He went off with a dead leg in the play-off game against France in Paris and subsequently developed a blood clot which ruled him out of the remainder of that season.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 3:44pm
a legend, deserves all his plaudits
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 4:06pm
Maybe a place for him in the NEW look fai
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 4:20pm

A blood clot in his leg. He was never really able to play at full back again after it.
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 4:45pm

A blood clot in his leg. He was never really able to play at full back again after it.
There was some doubt as to whether he could before that! In saying that, he turned into a wonderful centre-half and has had a fine career. He always came across as one of the more likeable players in the game.
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 4:59pm
Tbh. Better center back than full back. But Alex used him cleverly as a support for a back 3 when needed. Clever scottish. That is my pont of view. A good defender so he could slot anywhere there plus as holding mid. In a Mark Lawrenson mould as a versatileplayer but Lawro was much better.
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

Tbh. Better center back than full back. But Alex used him cleverly as a support for a back 3 when needed. Clever scottish. That is my pont of view. A good defender so he could slot anywhere there plus as holding mid. In a Mark Lawrenson mould as a versatileplayer but Lawro was much better.

He was a dreadful holding midfielder. He played in midfield in a league cup game for United against Burnley in December 2002 and did ok. For the next few years, our old friend Cathal Dervan (now one of Delaney's crew), devoted plenty of column inches to the idea of O'Shea playing for Ireland in central midfield.

Brian Kerr finally took the brave step of picking O'Shea in the middle of the park for the critical final qualifying game for the 2006 World Cup when Ireland faced Switzerland at Lansdowne. O'Shea was abysmal that night and looked lost. He was completely outplayed by Johann Vogel who was a very competent midfielder for the Swiss. It was the wrong selection at the wrong time, and a contributing factor to the anaemic performance which led to Kerr losing his job.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 5:53pm
Taking off Robbie Keane, Andy Reid, and Clinton Morrison when we needed a goal didn't do him any favours either

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 30 Apr 2019 at 5:54pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 42>
  Share Topic