Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=35646
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 7:27am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: John O'Shea
Posted By: Jerryfromkerry
Subject: John O'Shea
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:12pm
Thought he played very well again today at centre back (as did McClean). He must play centre back alongside Dunne for the Euros.

-------------
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"

Replies:
Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:30pm
Martin O'Neill must take great credit for John O'Shea's upturn in form , delighted not only as a fan of both Sunderland and Ireland , but for Johnno he's a great pro Clap

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: darman28
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 6:38pm
I would like to see O'Shea at CB for Ireland, no offence to St ledger he has done well but to me  O'shea is the better player & isn't a full back anymore, he doesn't get forward enough, his passing questionable & lost a yard of pace for that position. He's been wanting to play CB for years & his playing well there.Ireland has better premireship full backs with loads of running in them & good at getting forward like Foley & coleman.I like foley alot, gets better every season, had a great season last season, banging in afew goals & got his fair share of Assits too, pity he has been struggling with injury this season.He is 1 of our usual Mr consistant full backs

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 6:44pm
I reckon O'Shea might be played in the centre. Also, Trap will probably bring in Kelly at rb, he is having a very good season for fulham. 

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 1:44pm
O'Shea is captain for Sunderlands FA cup match Today because Cattermole, Sunderland usual captain, is rested.Would that mean O'shea is vice Captain.Good to see he is building his leadership qualities

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 2:49pm
He had a rubbish first half. 

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: Weecounty
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 3:24pm
He will have a sore head anyhowShocked

Posted By: jackshat
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 3:39pm
He did ok today. Awful defending in the lead up to their goal.

-------------
It's Jack Shat

Posted By: Big Japp
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 8:39pm
O'Shea is a liability at the best of times. His positioning,passing & decision-making is not up to standard at international level. 

Posted By: Bandwagonboyo
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 6:15pm
Bit harsh but you might have an argument there. Even so, I reckon he's the best option to partner Dunne imo. It's not like we are awash with world class centre haves

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Big Japp Big Japp wrote:

O'Shea is a liability at the best of times. His positioning,passing & decision-making is not up to standard at international level. 

Who do you suggest to replace him? You don't manage to get 70 odd caps for your country and play at the highest level in England for 10years if you haven't got ability , JOS is well capable at international level jesus there's some ludacris comments from posters made on here at times.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Posted By: Big Japp
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:24pm
John O Shea was mollycoddled by Alex Ferguson

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:26pm
I smell the Prop

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: packiesglove
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 8:28pm
o'shea and dunne definitely first choice centre backs. 

-------------
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 1:52pm
John had another sound game yesterday his booking was ridiculous.

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Was Captain too if I think?

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 5:44am
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Was Captain too if I think?

He certainly was.

-------------

Posted By: Masterplan
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 11:59pm
Is Van Persie still in O'Shea's pocket?!!!

Excellent performance from O'Shea, another player who has seemingly been transformed by O'Neill, looking a cracking centre half at the moment and a proper leader.

Posted By: Drumaville
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Masterplan Masterplan wrote:

Is Van Persie still in O'Shea's pocket?!!!

Excellent performance from O'Shea, another player who has seemingly been transformed by O'Neill, looking a cracking centre half at the moment and a proper leader.

John O'Shea was different class on Saturday yet another masterstroke from MON.

-------------
Double Maxim draught in the Derry pub now you are talking.

Posted By: rainpaulo
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 10:58am
Would anyone think it should be O'Shea and Dunne in the centre. Suppose it would be harsh on the Saint.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 11:21am
Depends who Trap thinks is his best on form players in the back 4 come the euro.But if all fit I can't see him breaking his current first choice back 4 of O'Shea, Dunne, St Ledger, Ward

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 11:23am
I think O'Shea's better in the centre than out on the right. Who do we play on the right though? I don't think Coleman will be played there anyway.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 12:39pm
he will be playing out right, sledge could switch to the right but wont happen

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:32pm
I think it will be a disservice to JOS if he is not played CB, he just doesnt look as good at RB. I think he is our in form player at the moment. I wouldnt suggest dropping Sledge lightly, but JOS is playing superbly with sunderland.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:44pm

Delighted to see him do well. It was looking hit and miss under Bruce.

MON is some motivator.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:46pm
Our back line should/could be .............................Given.............................
Kelly.........JO'S.......Dunne.........Wilson........
That back line has every player playing week in week out in the prem and is very solid.As I said before would be harsh on Saint but what can you do.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:47pm
Would rather we try Sledge at full back myself...or drop him. He hasn't really done much wrong to be dropped but O'Shea is waisted at full back in my opinion.

My ideal back line would be Wilson--O'Shea--Dunne--Ward 

Posted By: aviva8
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:02pm
Coleman(try in the friendlies)O Shea Dunne Clark(wilson or Ward)

Posted By: greengiant
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:05pm
Cant drop Sledge

-------------
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:28pm
It would be almost a punishment for St Ledger after forcing his way back into the Leicester side, and scoring at the weekend

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:47pm
Ward is very poor,a sin we have Wilson a top player who isn't getting in.

Posted By: Boston Hoop
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 3:21pm
Was a bit worried when O'Shea first left Utd. Thought at times that other players made him appear better than he was. Thankfully being proven wrong now... 

As for the Euros, I think Trap struggles to find a better right-full than having O'Shea there and St. Ledger in the middle. 

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 4:37pm
i would play

kelly ledge dunne oshea

o shea has been brilliant at CB but ledge and dunne are he partnership and oshea is solid and experienced at LB , ward cannot cross the ball.

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 4:42pm
O'Shea is not the best option if you were looking for a full-back to overlap and put pressure on. But given that Trap doesn't allow his FBs to do that, it makes little difference. He's solid at the back & is a good option on set-pieces. Something we'll rely on against probably all of the 3 teams given that we'll allow them to have the lions share of possession. 

Posted By: trapscat
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 4:49pm
I would like to see O'Shea at CB for Ireland,  St ledger has done well and gives his all but O'Sea plays at a better standard and is used to the pressure of massive games, kelly to fit in at fullback.

Posted By: GoneToShowgies
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 6:03pm

Has to be O'Shea in the middle. Playing him anywhere else would be the same as playing him out of position at this stage.

To be honest im more woried about Dunne's lack of form, his injury and match fitness after it than I am about O'Shea.

Posted By: IamGod
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 8:44pm
O'Shea proved against Macadonia away that he can't be trusted with the responsibility of CB. 

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Has to be O'Shea in the middle. Playing him anywhere else would be the same as playing him out of position at this stage.

To be honest im more woried about Dunne's lack of form, his injury and match fitness after it than I am about O'Shea.

Injury not ideal by any stretch for Dunne but actually a mid-season break in a way so might help in the long-run...

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 10:46pm

Originally posted by IamGod IamGod wrote:

O'Shea proved against Macadonia away that he can't be trusted with the responsibility of CB. 
Not as the organiser of the defence, but when Trapattoni first took over, Dunne and O'Shea were the first choice centre back partnership and complimented each other very well.

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 11:11pm

He has proved this season that he is awful at WB and is in fact a very good CB. 

-------------
It's Jack Shat

Posted By: IamGod
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 12:17am
Dunne carried O'Shea in those early games. Trap saw what I & others saw and sharply pulled O'Shea of of that CB position especially after the home game against Italy where O'Shea gifted the 2nd goal to Italy. 

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 1:24am

Dunne carried O'Shea in those early games. Trap saw what I & others saw and sharply pulled O'Shea of of that CB position especially after the home game against Italy where O'Shea gifted the 2nd goal to Italy. 
O'Shea didn't play CB in that game, it was Dunne and St Ledger

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 2:37am
I think Trap goes with experience in every position in the back four. Won't want guys getting rattled. That points to O'Shea at right-full.

Posted By: Kaisy353
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 10:10am
I don't know if Trap really wants him to play CB. We will have to wait and see for the euros. Kelly is not the best right back in the world but surely you could put Coleman in at right back and O'Shea CB

-------------
KZ out

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 2:24pm
With Dunne injured for the czech game, Trap might start Oshea at CB which would be interesting to see how himself & St ledger play together there.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

With Dunne injured for the czech game, Trap might start Oshea at CB which would be interesting to see how himself & St ledger play together there.

Doubt it,Trap won't change will just swap Dunne for O'Dea.

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 6:32pm
I love to see trap start duffy in this friendly.Because i think that what friendly are for to see if lads can cut it or do a job for the team if needed.BUT trap wont do that we all know him by nowSmileAlso like to see coleman mcClean and McCarthy play at least a half hour.

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 10:03pm
Has O'Shea captained us before? 

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 5:11am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

I love to see trap start duffy in this friendly.Because i think that what friendly are for to see if lads can cut it or do a job for the team if needed.BUT trap wont do that we all know him by nowSmileAlso like to see coleman mcClean and McCarthy play at least a half hour.

This.

-------------

Posted By: JimmyG
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:00pm
Not playing tonight - hamstring problem apparently.  

-------------
Football is all very well a good game for rough girls, but
not for delicate boys.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by JimmyG JimmyG wrote:

He was a huge miss last night.

-------------

Posted By: JimmyG
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Drumaville Drumaville wrote:

Yeah they were certainly missing something at the back and I would love to think it was Johno.  Sessegnon and Cattermole were also a big loss.

-------------
Football is all very well a good game for rough girls, but
not for delicate boys.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 2:59pm

Originally posted by Drumaville Drumaville wrote:

Yeah they were certainly missing something at the back and I would love to think it was Johno.  Sessegnon and Cattermole were also a big loss.

+1

3 vital players for Sunderland who help form the spine of the team , thankfully we will have all 3 back for the Everton match next week  Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 4:09pm
Did Meyler get on at any stage??

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 3:30pm
o shea off injured according to SSN

Posted By: dreamer
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 3:50pm
ah this is the bastard now,praying every weekend for no injuries fingers crossed its minor

-------------
every dog has there day

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by dreamer dreamer wrote:

ah this is the bastard now,praying every weekend for no injuries fingers crossed its minor

Was literally thinking that earlier when I saw the Villa line-up. Just pray to God Given stays fit. Hope Dunne's trip over to Cleveland this week went well.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 4:20pm

Just thinking the same thing when I saw the Villa line-up today. Hope Given stays fit... also, wonder how Dunne's trip to Cleveland went this week. 

Posted By: dreamer
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Boston Hoop Boston Hoop wrote:

Just thinking the same thing when I saw the Villa line-up today. Hope Given stays fit... also, wonder how Dunne's trip to Cleveland went this week. 

all signs look good for dunne hopefully he gets back the last 2 games for villa,everyone involved with him seem to be positive so a few hail marys there!!!

-------------
every dog has there day

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 4:28pm

Originally posted by Boston Hoop Boston Hoop wrote:

all signs look good for dunne hopefully he gets back the last 2 games for villa,everyone involved with him seem to be positive so a few hail marys there!!!

Just hope he is match fit. Surely a man his size takes a bit longer to get to that point! Wonder is more a case of non-contact stuff is fine but has to wait for full-on stuff. 

Posted By: elroy45
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 5:10pm
Any word on why JOSH went off?

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 6:06pm
Its a bit worrying, also hope its some thing minor.Any news would be great

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 6:29pm
It looked like his hamstring again.

That hamstring seems to be a ticking time bomb, he is always having trouble with it

-------------
It's Jack Shat

Posted By: niall290
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 6:38pm
By all accounts it was only a tweak,so minor and a precaution ahead of cup game tue night.Good news if true.Tongue

-------------
June 2012 party time!!

Posted By: trapnoclue
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 9:10pm
we dont need this worry with o shea,just think of the replacement trap will pick,he is ginger!!!!

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 9:27pm
Be great if McShane is given the opportynity to play on the big stage. O Shea is a good player but we have an able replacement in 'Supermac' Paul McShane.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: harry
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Be great if McShane is given the opportynity to play on the big stage. O Shea is a good player but we have an able replacement in 'Supermac' Paul McShane.

are you drunk!

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by harry harry wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

are you drunk!

He's messing Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 9:59pm
No Im not. McShane has been waiting in the wings since paris. He showed his true potential against the czechs in 06. Now the stage is set for him to showcase his talent.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 10:07pm

His debut against the Czechs was up there with Dunnes performance against Russia last year Clap

He'll defo be on the plane Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: harry
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 10:23pm
ffs i must be drunk

Posted By: bann the tolls
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

His debut against the Czechs was up there with Dunnes performance against Russia last year Clap

He'll defo be on the plane Thumbs Up
Would love to see him pull on the green jersey in Poland  ClapClapClap

Posted By: BaileNuisBhoy
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 8:55am
Originally posted by harry harry wrote:

ffs i must be drunk
LOL

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 1:07pm
John was badly missed by SAFC last night.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 8:07am
John on the Euros " Its an amazing thing to look forward to. We have big games, fantastic teams we will face like Italy and Spain. We can go in with a lot of hope. Results against Italy have not been too great and Spain are a fantastic team. We have to go in with the belief that we can get the results. First and foremost we will have Croatia to deal with and we will not under estimate them."

-------------

Posted By: Real Irlanda
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 1:15pm
we should put him at centrehalf at some stage in d future. Its his natural position n where he broke into the team originally. His versatility and lapses in concentration meant he got shifted out to other places on the park by utd. However he has managed to work on the concentration part of his game over the last few yrs and O'Neill has spotted this.

Posted By: packiesglove
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:07pm
hopefully him and dunne together at CB

-------------
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by packiesglove packiesglove wrote:

hopefully him and dunne together at CB

Won't happen without injuries.  As a unit the defence is beter with him at full back and Dunne & Sledge in the centre.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:20pm
This man is hopeless at wing back. Either he starts at CB or doesn't start at all for me. 

-------------
It's Jack Shat

Posted By: vinny 2012
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by jackshat jackshat wrote:

This man is hopeless at wing back. Either he starts at CB or doesn't start at all for me. 

united got to the final of the CL with him at right back? and the da silva brothers havent really filled his boots this year at old trafford

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by vinny 2012 vinny 2012 wrote:

united got to the final of the CL with him at right back? and the da silva brothers havent really filled his boots this year at old trafford

Well I'm going by this seasons form and he should only play at CB. The amount of times he gives the ball away in 90 minutes is unhealthy for a professional footballer. He doesn't see much of the ball at CB so he can get down to doing what he does best and that is defending. 

-------------
It's Jack Shat

Posted By: Wearmouth
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 8:30am
He looked much better when he was switched to c/half yesterday.

-------------
Charlie Hurley a true legend

Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 4:22am
In this weeks Irish Post good article on John. On the Euros " Its important for me to play there in 2002 I was just too young having just broken into the Man U team six months after who knows ? Now I'm delighted just to be there."
The piece also points out that only four Irishmen Steve Heighway Roy Keane Denis Irwin and Ronnie Whelan have won more major medals than the Waterford man.

-------------

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 6:19pm
The other thread is full of sh*te. Martin O Neill reckons it mightnt be good...

https://twitter.com/#%21/McDonnellDan" rel="nofollow - - Daniel McDonnell - @McDonnellDan

Worrying. Martin O'Neill seems concerned about John O'Shea's injury today. But says he might be 'jumping the gun'

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 6:27pm
Would be too early to tell I'd imagine

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: SteviesGranny
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 6:51pm
Foley not even on the bench for Wolves today. He injured also?

Posted By: Jerryfromkerry
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 7:00pm
Fingers crossed. Take out either O'Shea or Dunne from our defense and it looks pretty average on paper. I think O'Shea is a better centre back so if Kelly had to slot in at right full it might not be fatal

-------------
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"

Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

The other thread is full of sh*te. Martin O Neill reckons it mightnt be good...

[URL=https://twitter.com/#%21/McDonnellDan" rel="nofollow]<strong ="fullname js--pro-name show-popup-with-id]Daniel McDonnell
    <span>‏</span>
    <span ="username js--pro-name]<s>@</s>McDonnellDan</span>
[/URL]

"Concerned" but "could be jumping the gun" so even MO'N doesn't seem to know either...

<p ="js-tweet-text">Worrying. Martin O'Neill seems concerned about John O'Shea's injury today. But says he might be 'jumping the gun'

Posted By: Lenny82
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 8:20pm
I'd say Paul McShane is the only Irish man hoping O'Shea's injury is bad!

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 8:49am
John O'Shea had very good solid game at centre half v Arsenal yesterday and he's in todays Irish Indo Team of the Day. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 9:43am

John O'Shea had very good solid game at centre half v Arsenal yesterday and he's in todays Irish Indo Team of the Day. Thumbs Up

He was top class yesterday.

-------------
It's Jack Shat

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 9:50am

Good to see MON putting him in his best position centre half yesterday. Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 10:58am

Good to see MON putting him in his best position centre half yesterday. Thumbs Up

+1         Sunderland were very solid defensively yesterday.

Posted By: devondudley
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 11:28am

he has to play cb for ireland this campaign, regardless of what happens with dunne he offers nothing as a full back, if dunne packs it in he will be or most experienced defender and needs to step up, i cant remember him every having an outstanding game for ireland he is always quiet, the last memorable thing i remember him doing for ireland was getting the elbow in bari, one goal as well for a player who comes up for set pieces and plays full back for the amount of caps he has under all the managers is poor

-------------
But fumble in a greasy till

And add the halfpence to the pence

And pray to shivering prayer, until

You have dried the marrow from the bone.

W. B. Yeats, September 1913

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 12:11pm
Everyone knows (except trap) at this stage that john is far more comfortable at centre half than anywhere else in the back four

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 1:48pm
Trapattoni played O'Shea and Dunne together at centre half early in his tenure,. Unfortunately we were limited at right full at the time, and still are to a degree, so when St Ledger emerged as a credible replacement at centre half O'Shea was moved to full back.

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Trapattoni played O'Shea and Dunne together at centre half early in his tenure,. Unfortunately we were limited at right full at the time, and still are to a degree, so when St Ledger emerged as a credible replacement at centre half O'Shea was moved to full back.

That is about it, Trap feels a defence containing SSL, Dunne and O'Shea is a better unit than O'Shea, Dunne and one of McShane/Kelly.  Despite what lads think,neither of them are a significantly better option at RB, added to that, SSL has always done well when he has played (Poland aside, but we can say that about more or less everybody bar Andrews). Think Trap would actually prefer to play him at CB if he had better fullbacks. He will play CB if Dunne retires, but other than that I think he will revert to RB (assuming SSL's availability)

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Real Irlanda
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 2:16pm
o'shea is a centrehalf these days, doesnt have the movement or agility for Fullback anymore. This is probably why fergie sold him on cos he knew he wouldnt quite offer the versatility he once did. Sledge has done well for us, but against good teams he gets shown-up, and thats why he plays at the level he does. We have to pick our current best 11, not our best 11 from 2/3 yrs ago. Personally id put clark left fullbak n maybe kelly at RB. If only we had Stephen Reid available!

Posted By: Terrystats
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 2:25pm
A lot of ppl in Manchester did not rate O'Shea, I have always thought he does a good job, sometimes outstanding but more than not average and professional.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 8:43am
John had another fine game yesterday. ClapClapClap

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net