Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 1770>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
A.K.A. Mod Powers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Power Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 6:05pm
The only reason Fergie hasn't f**ked Morrison out of the club is the huge potential he has and I'd imagine he's afraid a rival will snap him up and he'll become a top player. He certainly has the potential to be a serious player.
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch
Sponsored Links

packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Whats the story with Pogba and Ravel Morrison constantly being linked with moving away from the club?

Ravels had enough apparently

i had enough of them too over the Christmas, the toffee ones are great Thumbs Up

When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 6:44pm
Match against Racist FC in the Cup is on Saturday 28th January with a 12:45 KO. Live on ITV
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 12:54pm
Just interested what you think of Mark McCaddens page in the Star today

i quote"Roy Keane aside,Fergie cant buy decent central midfielder"
"Fergies failure to buy a top class midfielder has arguably cost him more CL successes"
"the jury is still out on Michael Carrick,despit PL and CL medals"

As a Utd fan whose opinion i respect,just wonder what your opinion is on what he has writtenThumbs Up
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 1:02pm
might have already been posted
fletcher and young in with Utd fans v City
Seems Utd players to this alot when not available to play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2csWI1QbfI

i see Ravel Morrison is being sold aswel,Fergie must have had enough of him

PM me for all forum moderation queries.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 1:50pm
Would like to see Morrison stay as he is a very talented player but if he does leave United, I hope it's somewhere far away from Manchester as he needs to get away from his 'mates' who he keeps hanging around with and getting into trouble with. He should be old enough by now to realise it too.
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Just interested what you think of Mark McCaddens page in the Star today

i quote"Roy Keane aside,Fergie cant buy decent central midfielder"
"Fergies failure to buy a top class midfielder has arguably cost him more CL successes"
"the jury is still out on Michael Carrick,despit PL and CL medals"

As a Utd fan whose opinion i respect,just wonder what your opinion is on what he has writtenThumbs Up

Was that Mark's opinion on it?  I haven't read the Star today...

My own opinion on that is - as I've said here lots of times - people tend to put way too much emphasis on individual players and individual positions.  It's crazy.  The fact that football is a team game seems to go out the window.  Whether Alex Ferguson has had or has not had what people refer to as a world-class midfielder in his team over the past 20-years doesn't really matter in teh grand scheme of things does it?  What matter is that the TEAM are winning things...Who can argue with what United have won over teh past 20-years?  You'd be a moron to expect anything more than what they have done...in fact what they have done in that time remains the longest run of success in English football's 130-year history - so to question it is just plain daft.

Does anybody think any United fan would rather have a top world-class midfielder in their team and not have the team overrall be a success - or would they rather have it the way Fergie currently has it - winning four league titles and been in three European Cup Finals since Roy Keane (the last great midfielder United have had in Mark's opinion) left the club six years ago?

It seems to be a hurdle fans can't get over - forget the success this team have had....where's the world-class midfielder?  Mental thinking in my opinion.  Horrendous thinking.  The team - overrall - is ONLY what matters.

I think Fergie genuinely takes an approach whereby he doesn't purposely have players in his team that he can't rotate and drop.  He likes the idea of having a big squad and utilising that squad as best he can.  I think buying Sneijder for 25million - while he is undoubtedly a great player - would bring with it pressures that Fergie doesn't want.  How can I drop Sneijder for Park when I want to keep everybody on the same fitness level?    Can Sneijder play in the middle alongside Giggs-Carrick-Valencia one week and then adapt to playing with Young-Anderson-Nani the next?  

That's teh beaut about Fergie's midfield options...he can play different names in even in different positions at different times for different matches - and nobody batters an eyelid....Nobody mentions that ANderson is dropped, or young is left out, or Valencia's on the bench..or Giggs, Park, Cleverley, Nani....he can adapt as he wants.

Bring in a Sneijder - and suddenly the media are asking questions of why he is on the bench against Bolton at the weekend...extra pressure on the player, pressure on the manager, pressure on the team.

That - I genuinely think, is Ferguson's approach to handling modern-day football, managing a big squad which is what you need.

People will say that a midfield duo of Carrick/Fletcher just isn't good enough on paper for such a big club...and that may be so - but football isn't played on paper.  However the fact remains - and this can't be disputed, that the midfield duo of Carrick/Fletcher has been the most successful midfield duo in United's 130-year history - just look at the amount of trophies United have won since those two became our important midfield players...more than we ever won with Robson - or Keane - or Charlton - or Duncan Edwards - or Ince - etc, etc, etc..

Football is all about the results the TEAM bring home, not about whose name looks prettiest on paper!  And it always will be that way!

(Just thought I'd post this answer BSM to your question, because in the other thread people seem to be dragging up a debate that happened over a year ago - what's your opinion on it?)
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 5:44pm
If either Manchester clubs are buying a midfielder it should be a deep lying playmaker I feel. I think both teams need to improve this are in order to go further in Europe. I don't see any need for a player like sneijder. The last few winners of the UCL have had excellent deep lying playmakers, Alonso, Pirlo, Xavi/Busquets, Cambiasso, Scholes(08).

If they do buy I think this is where they should look. Doesn't need to be a superstar either. Someone like Montolivo who's out of contract in June. Javi Martinez, but he'd take more cash.

Haven't see enough of Cleverly to know if this is the tyoe of midfielder he is?

City are in the same boat as well for me. Barry not quite UCL standard, and De Jong is just a destroyer.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 6:07pm
Modric is the man.  Best central midfielder in the EPL.  
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Modric is the man. Best central midfielder in the EPL.

Totally agree, he's absolutely quality, don't think he'll leave Spurs for anyone but Chelsea tho!!
dotts101 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dotts101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 1:05am
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:04pm
Good job Wenger fooked up with that substitution yesterday. Arsenal could've scored a lot more in the second half than they did. Same for United but sloppy play nearly cost two points if not more.
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:09pm
Arsenal kicked the legs off united yesterday- if the shoe was on the other foot wenger would have done serious whinging- carrick was injured the entire second half- jones went off injured not to mention nani and Rooney who received proper rough treatment and couldn't walk off the pitch- champions win scrappy games like that though- young and cleverly back in the next week or so
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:21pm
Cleverly has been badly missed. A lot of the play was going through him at the start of the season during the free-scoring stages. Hopefully it doesn't take long to get his match sharpness back.
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:24pm
Apparently de gea has an eye problem and needs an operation- rafael was terrible yesterday- Evra smalling Valencia and welbeck were immense yesterday- welbeck doesn't give defenders a moments peace
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by trapped trapped wrote:

Cleverly has been badly missed. A lot of the play was going through him at the start of the season during the free-scoring stages. Hopefully it doesn't take long to get his match sharpness back.

totally agree. any person who says cleverley isn't good enough as a replacement for scholes and united fans blaming united's poor form in certain games for a lack of invention in midfield because of his absence is laughable, clearly hasn't seen this lad play. when he comes back, it will be a sight to behold.

Edited by The Drifter - 23 Jan 2012 at 11:29pm
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:30pm
Yea shocking performace from Rafael - as soon as he did anything wrong he'd smack the ground or curse himself instead of getting back to help out. Welbeck is improving all the time but he still has a slight clumbsiness to his game that he needs to iron out. Valencia's been great since coming back, just as well because Nani's only played well once in last two months - hasn't been good apart from the Fulham game.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:38pm

Was Nani's injury bad yesterday?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 1770>
  Share Topic