Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17401741174217431744 1770>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

United fans could set fire to the stadium and the Glazers would do as they please. The match going fans hate them but you also have hundreds of thousands in the UK alone that would buy up the season tickets if people stopped going tomorrow.

I have a lot of respect for the original set of supporters that refused to go and set up FC United. I have a lot of respect for the ongoing protests, but the sad reality is due to the size of the fan base you aren't getting rid of them.

If United lost 65k season ticket holders tomorrow, they would sell them out again immediately.  

Which is a product of the massive franchising efforts that have been ongoing since the dawn of the PL. Be it club-shops in Dublin, tours to the Far East, link-ups with domestic clubs, third strips, movies, singles, whatever you can think of, the Man United crest has been attached to them. I cant even begin to imagine what the most random product is that has had a Manchester United crest on it. But all the while courting this massive loyalty amongst people who have never set foot in Manchester, let alone Old Trafford. And in return, these loyal fanatics pump money into the club for all over the world.
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

And the whole of the MU support can protest all they like, but it won't make a damned bit of difference to what the Glazers do - the money will decide.

Agreed. When you look at many takeovers (and that includes Liverpool's), the commercial reasonings behind them will trump any fan protest, as the reasoning for the transition.

I don't subscribe to this - It works in theory but if, for example, the Qatari lad turns out to be the person willing to pay the most and United fans, en masse, where to turn up on matchday and protest against him (which I don't think would happen) then I dare say he might have second thoughts. 

LOL

United fans have been singing about literally murdering Joel Glazer and previously his dad, by cutting him up, for a very, very long time now. No second thoughts up until recently they saw how much Chelsea went for.

If songs was the extent of it then I don't blame them for taking no notice - Proper protest is what I was referring to. 
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 1:47pm

United fans could set fire to the stadium and the Glazers would do as they please. The match going fans hate them but you also have hundreds of thousands in the UK alone that would buy up the season tickets if people stopped going tomorrow.

I have a lot of respect for the original set of supporters that refused to go and set up FC United. I have a lot of respect for the ongoing protests, but the sad reality is due to the size of the fan base you aren't getting rid of them.

If United lost 65k season ticket holders tomorrow, they would sell them out again immediately.  

Which is a product of the massive franchising efforts that have been ongoing since the dawn of the PL. Be it club-shops in Dublin, tours to the Far East, link-ups with domestic clubs, third strips, movies, singles, whatever you can think of, the Man United crest has been attached to them. I cant even begin to imagine what the most random product is that has had a Manchester United crest on it. But all the while courting this massive loyalty amongst people who have never set foot in Manchester, let alone Old Trafford. And in return, these loyal fanatics pump money into the club for all over the world.

Agreed. I bet there isn't a product left that hasn't had a United badge on it. United is a monster of a company, despite it being a football team.
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 1:52pm

And the whole of the MU support can protest all they like, but it won't make a damned bit of difference to what the Glazers do - the money will decide.

Agreed. When you look at many takeovers (and that includes Liverpool's), the commercial reasonings behind them will trump any fan protest, as the reasoning for the transition.

I don't subscribe to this - It works in theory but if, for example, the Qatari lad turns out to be the person willing to pay the most and United fans, en masse, where to turn up on matchday and protest against him (which I don't think would happen) then I dare say he might have second thoughts. 

LOL

United fans have been singing about literally murdering Joel Glazer and previously his dad, by cutting him up, for a very, very long time now. No second thoughts up until recently they saw how much Chelsea went for.

If songs was the extent of it then I don't blame them for taking no notice - Proper protest is what I was referring to. 

Fans have held countless protest marches, usually around 10k strong, hired planes, invaded Old Trafford, sent numerous death threats (the glazers can't attend OT), blocked entrances to the stadium and this is still going on 15 years after the takeover. 

Apart from actually killing the owners, I'm not sure what could work to remove them. Songs are just a tiny part of what had been going on down the years.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 1:54pm

Agreed. I bet there isn't a product left that hasn't had a United badge on it. United is a monster of a company, despite it being a football team.

And this returns to your point, whereby the owners will never feel it in the pocket. If ever ST holder at OT handed theirs back, there is probably a waiting list that would take over those tickets. Alternatively, you could probably get 20k fans a week, at least from Ireland to travel to OT for games, and another 20k from London. You'd be able to sell the balance on the open market, or to tour operators that could sell them to American and Far Eastern tourists. 

The only time I can think of UK fan protest having an impact in modern times is the ESL, and that involved fans of all six clubs getting out in protest. If one set of fans had ended up ploughing a lone furrow, while the other six sat idly by, we may well have had an ESL.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:04pm

And this returns to your point, whereby the owners will never feel it in the pocket. If ever ST holder at OT handed theirs back, there is probably a waiting list that would take over those tickets. Alternatively, you could probably get 20k fans a week, at least from Ireland to travel to OT for games, and another 20k from London. You'd be able to sell the balance on the open market, or to tour operators that could sell them to American and Far Eastern tourists. 

The only time I can think of UK fan protest having an impact in modern times is the ESL, and that involved fans of all six clubs getting out in protest. If one set of fans had ended up ploughing a lone furrow, while the other six sat idly by, we may well have had an ESL.
I can think of 4 or 5 instances at Liverpool alone - I only mention Liverpool as I can talk of those but bound to be more. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:10pm

I can think of 4 or 5 instances at Liverpool alone - I only mention Liverpool as I can talk of those but bound to be more. 

Apart from the ESL, what else for Liverpool?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:11pm

- The previous owners
- The ticket price increase walk out
- The furlough of staff
- The attempt to try and trademark "Liverpool"
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:14pm

LOL

Fans have held countless protest marches, usually around 10k strong, hired planes, invaded Old Trafford, sent numerous death threats (the glazers can't attend OT), blocked entrances to the stadium and this is still going on 15 years after the takeover. 

Apart from actually killing the owners, I'm not sure what could work to remove them. Songs are just a tiny part of what had been going on down the years.

I get this but just from the outside these look like one-offs rather than anything concerted (Again, not having a go just an observation). It felt like the heat was right on after the game against Liverpool was called off but then dropped again as it didn't seem like there was anything done immediately after that to keep the heat on.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:15pm

- The previous owners
- The furlough of staff

Like any takeover the previous owners were ultimately led by commercial realities as opposed to fan dissatisfaction/protest. I'd also argue (even with the apology) the furloughing reversal was a massive PR faux-pas, and the negative media coverage led the decision.

Agree on the ticket price reversal though.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:23pm

- The previous owners
- The furlough of staff

Like any takeover the previous owners were ultimately led by commercial realities as opposed to fan dissatisfaction/protest. I'd also argue (even with the apology) the furloughing reversal was a massive PR faux-pas, and the negative media coverage led the decision.

Agree on the ticket price reversal though.
This isn't actually true - Hard to accurately describe all of if but, for example, Liverpool fans in NY spotted Hicks and Gillett heading for a meeting with a financial institution in order to try and refinance their debt. Within hours the financial institution was bombarded with emails etc saying it would be a bad idea to do this. I think it was RBS ultimately who pulled the plug on Hicks and Gillett (Might have the wrong financial institution). The reason this was done was that thousands of people contacted RBS and told them they'd take their business elsewhere if they continued to prop them up.
The book "An Epic Swindle" by Brian Reade gives a very good and detailed account of all that happened to get Hicks and Gillett out. 

And it's fair to point out that this isn't a direct comparison to the United situation as the Glazers aren't i the same financial situation was Hicks and Gillett were. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:44pm
Sorry, but there are too many legal and commercial realities to factor into the hot mess that really leads me to believe that fan pressure, while admirable, had little to do with the overall outcome, which had a major lending institution needing to redeem its loans, and Limited Companies behind Liverpool FC, at risk, in the event that a takeover had not occurred. Essentially, the commercial weight on one side, outweighed the commercial weight (and ultimately legal rights) of the other.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:49pm

Sorry, but there are too many legal and commercial realities to factor into the hot mess that really leads me to believe that fan pressure, while admirable, had little to do with the overall outcome, which had a major lending institution needing to redeem its loans, and Limited Companies behind Liverpool FC, at risk, in the event that a takeover had not occurred. Essentially, the commercial weight on one side, outweighed the commercial weight (and ultimately legal rights) of the other.

Again, what I will say to you is go and read what has been written and documented on this. 
That book I mentioned is a good place to start. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:53pm

Again, what I will say to you is go and read what has been written and documented on this. 

I'm happy to read it, but I also read into it, and the machinations are complex enough to believe that commercial realities were the first things that guided the decision. I respect any club that listens to its fans, and credit to Liverpool for doing so from the point of view of ticket prices etc. That is also laudable. But I just dont buy the idea that commercial realities and reasonings were not almost entirely responsible for the takeover at Liverpool, especially given the fire consequences predicted.
Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:54pm
United fans are in a bit of a catch 22 situation. Protesting too much will cause the club valuation to fall and might mean the Glazers will stay put if they receive a large cash injection from the US investment firm. Basically, who is gonna put in big money to buy the club, if it’s fan protests that shape business decisions.
If they don’t protest at all, the club will become more attractive to the petrol dollars/sports washing groups. 
The fanbase need to walk a fine line of making the club attractive enough for the Glazers to sell but at the same time making sure it doesn’t fall into Qatari hands.

jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 2:56pm
I wonder if United didn't get annihilated by Liverpool yesterday in what was/is a very embarrassing result and actually won the game would there be any talk like the last few pages on here about the United owners?
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 3:01pm

I'm happy to read it, but I also read into it, and the machinations are complex enough to believe that commercial realities were the first things that guided the decision. I respect any club that listens to its fans, and credit to Liverpool for doing so from the point of view of ticket prices etc. That is also laudable. But I just dont buy the idea that commercial realities and reasonings were not almost entirely responsible for the takeover at Liverpool, especially given the fire consequences predicted.
Let me know if you still feel the same after reading it. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2023 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

I wonder if United didn't get annihilated by Liverpool yesterday in what was/is a very embarrassing result and actually won the game would there be any talk like the last few pages on here about the United owners?

I assume not, seeing as the conversation was only started by someone trying to perpetuate the myth that United only protest ownership when they lose, which is of course complete bollocks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17401741174217431744 1770>
  Share Topic