You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16921693169416951696 1770>
Author
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by SteoC SteoC wrote:

You think I'm a Manchester United fan? You're the United fan, right? You're the one who seems to care. I don't care. I'm just enjoying and appreciating how United are going about their business. You're the one getting emotional over it by complaining. Put it this way, no Manchester United fan worth their salt could be angry about what Ole is doing. What he is doing is the only way United have ever been successful. So, if you applauded all of the Ferguson success, you were applauding success built years before the success came. That's what Ole is aiming for. I say fair play. Can't wait to see how it develops. but United's project is a lot more interesting to watch than Chelsea or Man City's for example. United tried for the immediate. They went with Louis and Jose and turned into a mess. It was ugly, Now they're back planning for the long-term again-competing for multiple titles over multiple years. I can not understand why that offends you. I can't understand why it would offend anybody. United fan or not.

No. I'm no Man United fan. Just interested in the narrative that what is going on is actually progressive. Trying to replicate Fergie is all well and good, except for the fact that football has evolved, and was evolving in the latter days of Ferguson's tenure. Man United employed one of the most respected managers in the PL immediately after Fergie left, and when that didnt work out they went through two other managers, spending huge sums along the way, with some return. Now, they're just spending huge amounts with no return.

You can be interested in the manner in which OGS is doing his job. And respect United for not baulking at the first sign of trouble. But that doesnt mean a 'plan' is going to be fit for purpose, or come to fruition. And in the immediate terms (and the hindsight of the last two and a half years) you can question OGS's performance, and his potential based on having a high profile job, with every advantage going for him.

What you seem to be forgetting or forgoing in your short-termism view is that there exists other clubs. Do you expect United to plan for the long-term and while actually doing so topple Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea?  They toppled two of them last season...  but to expect to build towards winning league titles in the long-term while at the same time winning them in the short-term is stupid. It doesn't even make any sense. Why don't they just win all the titles all of the years? 
Stephen Coyne
Sponsored Links

SteoC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

LVG won the FA Cup and JM won the FA Cup  and EL, both proven managers with a history of success.

OGS hasn't won anything and more importantly doesn't look like winning anything.

Well Horsebox, you've just won yourself the award for not getting it at all. Congratulations.
Stephen Coyne
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:05pm

What you seem to be forgetting or forgoing in your short-termism view is that there exists other clubs. Do you expect United to plan for the long-term and while actually doing so topple Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea?  They toppled two of them last season...  but to expect to build towards winning league titles in the long-term while at the same time winning them in the short-term is stupid. It doesn't even make any sense. Why don't they just win all the titles all of the years? 

Not stupid at all. Clubs can do both because they can buy and develop at the same time. These are business, not constrained by the limitations of international football. And in referencing other clubs you in essence contradict yourself, and prove my point because all it takes to undermine the plan is for a few other clubs on the merry-go-round to keep getting there 'short-termism' correct, and that can be done by spending.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:06pm
I do get it.

I don't think you get it - the majority of United fans (I'm not one of them) don't believe that OGS has the ability to deliver success for United whether short term or long term.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
SteoC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:09pm

I do get it.

I don't think you get it - the majority of United fans (I'm not one of them) don't believe that OGS has the ability to deliver success for United whether short term or long term.

Well that is just a totally inaccurate statement. United fans are clearly behind Ole. They get it. They've been through it all before. Old Trafford is in full support of Ole. That is not in question.

Unless you're talking about Man United fans on forums and twitter. But sure, who are they? 
Stephen Coyne
SteoC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:12pm

[QUOTE=SteoC]

Not stupid at all. Clubs can do both because they can buy and develop at the same time. These are business, not constrained by the limitations of international football. And in referencing other clubs you in essence contradict yourself, and prove my point because all it takes to undermine the plan is for a few other clubs on the merry-go-round to keep getting there 'short-termism' correct, and that can be done by spending.
[/QUOTE

Hetfield. You are totally not getting it. Which clubs constantly compete in the immediate while planning for the long-term? Only one club wins the title every year. You talking about Liverpool? Long way off last season. Chelsea? Same. No one team wins the title every year. If you keep playing short-term, yes you might stumble upon a Guardiola and win two out of three titles. You might be Chelsea and keep throwing sh*t at the dart board and sometimes the dart sticks and you night win a title. But no club has ever competed for 10 Premier League titles in a row, bar Man United. And they did that because they planned for it. Well, they're planning for it again. There's no need for you to be riled by that. Why do you care so much if you are not a United fan? You come across as emotional. Either you love Man United and are letting that emotion ruin your judgement. or you despise Man United and you are letting that emotion ruin your judgement.  

Edited by SteoC - 30 Sep 2021 at 2:15pm
Stephen Coyne
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:17pm

Hetfield. You are totally not getting it. Which clubs constantly compete in the immediate while planning for the long-term? Only one club wins the title every year. You talking about Liverpool? Long way off last season. Chelsea? Same. No one team wins the title every year. If you keep playing short-term, yes you might stumble upon a Guardiola and win two out of three titles. You might be Chelsea and jeep throwing sh*t at the dart board and sometimes the dart sticks., But no club has ever competed for 10 Premier League titles in a row, bar Man United. And they did that because they planned for it. Well, they're planning for it again. There's no need for you to be riled by that. Why do you care so much if you are not a United fan? 

Because being interested in football means being interested in matters that go beyond the teams you support. And as part of that I'm interested in the massive amounts of money being afforded to OGS, the players he has at his current disposal, and the alternatives he has when necessary, and the results that arise from them.

I dont believe United are spending the amounts they are, in short periods, and assuming this is all a build. Players will age out, lose form etc and will need to be replaced in the long term.

Fergie was a special manager. And he had a proven record before he took the job, and when his neck was on the line he won the FA Cup which gave him breathing room to win the CWC, before a league cup. The 1992 loss of the title spurred him on, and after that he was constantly evolving. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:19pm

I do get it.

Well that is just a totally inaccurate statement. United fans are clearly behind Ole. They get it. They've been through it all before. Old Trafford is in full support of Ole. That is not in question.

Unless you're talking about Man United fans on forums and twitter. But sure, who are they? 

Primarily friends and acquaintances etc...

OGS does not have the same managerial pedigree as say Klopp, Pep or Tuchel as an example.

He does have an excellent squad of players at his disposal, and I do think he will do relatively well but not enough to be winning the EPL or CL.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

welcome back SirAlex/moleman

So obvious.
SteoC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:20pm

Hetfield. You are totally not getting it. Which clubs constantly compete in the immediate while planning for the long-term? Only one club wins the title every year. You talking about Liverpool? Long way off last season. Chelsea? Same. No one team wins the title every year. If you keep playing short-term, yes you might stumble upon a Guardiola and win two out of three titles. You might be Chelsea and jeep throwing sh*t at the dart board and sometimes the dart sticks., But no club has ever competed for 10 Premier League titles in a row, bar Man United. And they did that because they planned for it. Well, they're planning for it again. There's no need for you to be riled by that. Why do you care so much if you are not a United fan? 

Because being interested in football means being interested in matters that go beyond the teams you support. And as part of that I'm interested in the massive amounts of money being afforded to OGS, the players he has at his current disposal, and the alternatives he has when necessary, and the results that arise from them.

I dont believe United are spending the amounts they are, in short periods, and assuming this is all a build. Players will age out, lose form etc and will need to be replaced in the long term.

Fergie was a special manager. And he had a proven record before he took the job, and when his neck was on the line he won the FA Cup which gave him breathing room to win the CWC, before a league cup. The 1992 loss of the title spurred him on, and after that he was constantly evolving. 

So, what you're saying is: you don't believe United should plan for the long-term.

Fair enough.

But you've got f**k all say in how United do their business. So what you would do or what you think United should do is insignificant. 

Edited by SteoC - 30 Sep 2021 at 2:21pm
Stephen Coyne
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:24pm

So, what you're saying is: you don't believe United should plan for the long-term.

Fair enough.

But you've got f**k all say in how United do their business. So what you would do or what you think United should do is insignificant. 

Where did I say that? I said you can build and buy in such a way that you dont have to forfeit chances at success. So, I didnt say they shouldn't plan. But to my mind, its nonsense exculpation for a club legend by fans who get the warm and fuzzies in seeing one of their own manage the club. Its like the guy we all know (an analogy used before) who is always building the next billion euro app.

Yeah, I have no say in it. Just like anybody on here. I dont own a stake, I dont have coaching badges. Buts that's not why we're here? Its a place to talk football, and that's what we're doing. What I would do is irrelevant.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:26pm

Yes. Do you not know what that is, Brendan?

Though I guess that you had to ask in the first place suggests not.

You’re talking out of your arse Steo.

Have you honestly been impressed with Solskjaer’s coaching? United have been outplayed my Villarrael, Young Boys, Aston Villa, Wolves, West Ham and Southampton this season.

Clearly the style of play you mentioned isn’t working which is crazy considering the amount of top class players United have.
SteoC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:26pm

Fair enough.

Where did I say that? I said you can build and buy in such a way that you dont have to forfeit chances at success. So, I didnt say they shouldn't plan. But to my mind, its nonsense exculpation for a club legend by fans who get the warm and fuzzies in seeing one of their own manage the club. Its like the guy we all know (an analogy used before) who is always building the next billion euro app.

Yeah, I have no say in it. Just like anybody on here. I dont own a stake, I dont have coaching badges. Buts that's not why we're here? Its a place to talk football, and that's what we're doing. What I would do is irrelevant.

We can all talk football. But as soon as somebody on a internet forum says: "they shouldn't do it this way, they should do it the way I think they should do it" they sound like a f**king idiot.

By all means discuss how United are doing it. But to say 'they should be doing this' makes you look like a mug. 

Half an hour ago, you didn't even know United had signed 26 teenagers in the past 24 months. And now you're telling us all how United should be doing it. 

Come on. If you could hear yourself...
Stephen Coyne
SteoC View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Have you honestly been impressed with Solskjaer’s coaching? United have been outplayed my Villarrael, Young Boys, Aston Villa, Wolves, West Ham and Southampton this season.

Clearly the style of play you mentioned isn’t working which is crazy considering the amount of top class players United have.

Solskjaer has beaten Klopp, Guardiola, Mourinho, Emery, Pochettinho, Ancelotti, Tuchel... 

In fact, Ole is the only manager in the world to get the better over Guardiola in terms of the amount of times they've played. The only manager ever to better him head to head.

Should we judge him on those wins? Or perhaps the losses you spoke about?

Or maybe we should judge him when his five-year plan even begins in earnest? 

Stephen Coyne
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:33pm

We can all talk football. But as soon as somebody on a internet forum says: "they shouldn't do it this way, they should do it the way I think they should do it" they sound like a f**king idiot.

By all means discuss how United are doing it. But to say 'they should be doing this' makes you look like a mug. 

Half an hour ago, you didn't even know United had signed 26 teenagers in the past 24 months. And now you're telling us all how United should be doing it. 

Come on. If you could hear yourself...

Yet you seem to claim you're not a Man U fan while trotting out all this meta-knowledge and claiming to have your finger on the pulse of those sitting at Old Trafford. Funny how you keep referring to this large number of young players signed. Have you got statistics on how many others have been signed by competing clubs at that level, or where they have come from, or what their pedigree is like. If so, how are those clubs also competing (while winning silverware). Or do you have statistics saying that they have signed nobody at that level?

I'm not saying how United should do things. I'm simply saying that I think you're exculpating OGS on the basis of something that hasn't happened yet, or may not happen.

Edited by Het-field - 30 Sep 2021 at 2:34pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:34pm

Ole still has the highest win percentage of any manager in Manchester United's history.

He will be United manager for many a year. 

He is building something.

You guys asking why his midfield isn't good enough? Because he has a bigger plan than just this season. He had to patch up the mentality in the dressing-room. He changed that right around. Had to change up the man-management. Changed that right around. Had to patch up his forward line. Did that. Had to improve his full-backs. Did that. Definitely needed a whole new central defence. Did that. Needed a right-winger, did that. 

Now he needs a central midfielder. No doubt about it. No one is arguing that. But he wasn't going to solve all of the mess listed above in two full seasons. Next summer, the central midfield will be addressed. What's everybody want? Everything to be all sorted in one go? That's not how you build a squad meant to last. 

We all know Ole had a five year plan when he came into the club. He got the job based on his five-year plan. He'd building towards that, and has improved year on year. It's very clear he is not setting up United to try to win one league title. He is setting United up to compete for loads of titles over the long-term. 

if that's not obvious to you all, then you are blind to what's going on at Manchester United. Ole's reign goes far, far beyond this season. Way beyond it. He's doing a fantastic job of improving the first team year on year while working towards his long-term vision. If you really wanna know what he's cooking up, all you have to do is look at the list of 26 teenagers the club have signed since Ole come in. Players from the academies of Man City, from Liverpool, from Real Madrid, from Barcelona, from Atletico Madrid.  But of course judging by the tripe I've read over the past few pages here, you lot wouldn't know anything about that—seeing as you all have Ole down to be sacked after United were beaten by Aston Villa. You lot clearly understand get it.

There is more to football than the immediate. 

Welcome back to YBIG Siralex
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:36pm

To answer Brendan's good question.

United play an adaptable counter-attack.

It's not a deep philosophy like Jose, or Pep or Klopp. Their philosophies are always for the short term (that's why they move from club to club. Pep will be gone in 2023; Klopp will be gone in 2023). A strict press and philosophy like that isn't workable for a long-term project.

In a way that Ferguson's tactics and Busby's tactics were always adaptable- allowing for long-term success. That's what Ole is aiming for. Competing for the Premier League every year over the long-term, rather than trying to win the next one as soon as he can, which is the philosophy adopted by those managers named above.

United are a couple years away, however, from us seeing what Ole is cooking. Look at how bad that midfield is. It has yet to be addressed as there were so many holes Ole had to fill when he came in. He has done a really good job filling those holes. More to fill.    

If that happens Pep will have done 7 years, pretty long term in the modern game, and Klopp what 9 years? United could have had 4 different managers in that time. 
Don't see your point. 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 30 Sep 2021 at 2:38pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:37pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Solskjaer has beaten Klopp, Guardiola, Mourinho, Emery, Pochettinho, Ancelotti, Tuchel... 

In fact, Ole is the only manager in the world to get the better over Guardiola in terms of the amount of times they've played. The only manager ever to better him head to head.

Should we judge him on those wins? Or perhaps the losses you spoke about?

Or maybe we should judge him when his five-year plan even begins in earnest? 

Sean Dyche has beaten Klopp, Mourinho, Poch, Pep etc what the f**k has that got to do with anything?

While you’re on the subject of matches against teams managed by the above managers, are you aware of United’s record against the top sides last year and how Ole set up? Played for 0-0 in most of those games.

Sure let’s give him another half a billion and see how he’s getting on in 5 years time! Embarrassing coming on here pretending you’re not a United fan too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16921693169416951696 1770>
  Share Topic