Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16711672167316741675 1770>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 11:48pm
@Baggio,

Merely talking about the Premier League here when we factor in how poor Liverpool have been (they will be back next year 100%) and the start City got off to, lets face it they looked like a dead duck around October surely this was the season United could really have announced that "they were back" and that's not saying winning a league but some sort of statement of intent?

For me they haven't even been close and given their current form look a million miles off a proper title challenge.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 11:53pm
Spot on GD.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Has anyone seen the difference between Chelsea under Tuchel compared to Lampard?

It's night and day, Chelsea have a firm identity now and tactically so well set up, under Lampard it was a mishmash of everything and it reflected in their performances. 

I really think if United go all and out and hire a top manager in the summer, with all the attacking talent that's there they could be really good. 
Tuchel has transformed Chelsea, came in at a great time

They could win the league next year

They'll comfortably finish second this year

And they could win the European Cup this year, bet anything they'll draw Man City in the quarters and take them out

Manchester United's problem now is that Pochettino is off the market

He was like the attractive girl dropping hints to a fella she liked for 15 months

The fella was too thick to read the hints

So she shacked up with the horrible rich guy

And Tuchel is off the market too

So who do Manchester United get now?

Nagelsmann? He could easily bomb like Villas Boas did at Chelsea

Ten Hag of Ajax would be a similar risk

Other than that they're looking at a van Gaal type appointment like Allegri - but Juventus might come back for him

Knowing Ed Woodward they'll probably appoint Neil Lennon

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 12:10am
Ole much like Lampard and probably Southgate is the weak link of a strong squad.  
He is & always has been out of his depth at United & United will win nothing with him there. I’ve said this from the start & there’s been very little since that would sway my opinion

Edited by 9fingers - 04 Mar 2021 at 12:10am
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 9:30am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Ole much like Lampard and probably Southgate is the weak link of a strong squad.  
He is & always has been out of his depth at United & United will win nothing with him there. I’ve said this from the start & there’s been very little since that would sway my opinion

I think this hits the nail on the head. There has always been concerns about how limited OGS is since he took the job. He has one tactic and when that fails, the team does. T
here's no coincidence that the better results of the season against Leeds and Sociedad were against teams that attack, and were picked off on the counter
After last years great results against the big 6, where, he hit them on the counter, the top managers have realise this and adapted against United, where OGS has nothing to react to these changes.
As much as I like it him, he has to go. A Director of Football needs to be brought in to ensure the right players are bought and a clear out of the players not good enough has to happen
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 9:43am
Forget players, Man U should be scouting the best young managers around Europe with proven records.

Man City wanted Pep for years and are getting the benefits of that now. 3 league titles in 5 years.

Liverpool got Klopp and have a champions league and league title.

Somebody like Simeone would sort Man U out. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Forget players, Man U should be scouting the best young managers around Europe with proven records.

Man City wanted Pep for years and are getting the benefits of that now. 3 league titles in 5 years.

Liverpool got Klopp and have a champions league and league title.

Somebody like Simeone would sort Man U out. 

I don't think Simeone would suit Manchester United at all - he might suit Arsenal circa 1989

Manchester United had the chance to get Poch and they sat on their arse

Now there's feck all else out there, so if Solskjaer goes in the summer, their next appointment runs a very high risk of being another dud

Manchester United will likely look back on the last year and a half as a serious missed opportunity as they stuck with somebody not up to the job while the obvious replacement kicked his heels waiting for them before eventually getting fed up
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:01am
It'll look bad if United sack a club legend in Ole IMO, he'll have to resign. 

Would be ok if he was sitting in 5th or 6th place, but no one expected them to be 2nd at this stage of the season, with a real good chance of finishing there in May

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Would be ok if he was sitting in 5th or 6th place, but no one expected them to be 2nd at this stage of the season, with a real good chance of finishing there in May

I wonder have they thought of bringing in a joint manager alongside him?

Could work

Edited by sid waddell - 04 Mar 2021 at 10:08am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:10am

But if they finish 2nd with 66 pts (same as last season) it’s not real progress.

They have a big month ahead.
The AC Milan and Leicester FA cup game are huge. 
They need to win both IMO. 

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:32am

Personally speaking and some may argue but this is probably one of the worst seasons in living memory standard wise in the Premier League.

I don't think anyone could argue to the contrary on that. Between the lack of a proper pre-season, the abnormally high number of injuries across the teams and the lack of fans - it's easily been the worst season of PL football I can recall. The vast majority of games are unwatchable in truth.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 11:49am
Another thing that doesn't help is the fact that every single match is available to watch on TV. 

The likes of Burnley v West Brom used to be on a Saturday at 3pm for a reason. So that no one would have to watch the f**king thing. 

I would rarely watch games live now that don't involved City. Maybe the odd Liverpool or Man U game but that would be about it, just wait for MOTD to see highlights. Think its the lack of crowds but its very poor
Same with the Champions League and Europa League. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

But if they finish 2nd with 66 pts (same as last season) it’s not real progress.

They have a big month ahead.
The AC Milan and Leicester FA cup game are huge. 
They need to win both IMO. 

But to a degree, there is a veneer of achievement that is sustaining OGS. His original run when he took over from Jose, getting to the CL last term, leading the PL at the turn of the year etc. Not remarkable achievements, but stuff that can be sold as doing reasonably well.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 2:09pm
Ole always bounces back with a result when the chips are down. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Ole always bounces back with a result when the chips are down. 

This - 

Whenever it looks like Ole is under pressure they go on a run or get some big wins. 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 8:32pm
That's the problem though with Ole. Great win today but there'll never be a consistency despite the very impressive unbeaten away record. 

United have a good lead on Liverpool and I still expect Leicester to fall away in the final weeks. Chelsea are a different proposition now and are United's biggest threat. If Everton could get a draw at Chelsea tomorrow evening, it would keep them at bay as they've going to eventually overtake Leicester in third place. 

I don't see any of the other teams as a challenger for second spot apart from Chelsea and to a lesser extent Liverpool. Leicester being out of Europe will help them though.  

Edited by irishmufc - 07 Mar 2021 at 8:34pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

That's the problem though with Ole. Great win today but there'll never be a consistency despite the very impressive unbeaten away record. 

United have a good lead on Liverpool and I still expect Leicester to fall away in the final weeks. Chelsea are a different proposition now and are United's biggest threat. If Everton could get a draw at Chelsea tomorrow evening, it would keep them at bay as they've going to eventually overtake Leicester in third place. 

I don't see any of the other teams as a challenger for second spot apart from Chelsea and to a lesser extent Liverpool. Leicester being out of Europe will help them though.  
I did a run through of the fixtures from ehre to the end of the season to see who I think will make top 4 with City.

2. Chelsea  - 75 pts
3. United - 74 pts
4 Spurs - 74 pts
-----------------------
5. Leicester - 70 pts
6. West Ham - 70 pts
7. Everton - 68 pts
8. Liverpool - 67 pts

Spurs with great fixturea and form look like they'll get in, Leicester with the opposite to fade badly. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 10:50pm

United will get top 3 for sure, probably 2nd, and for a manager of Ole’s ability that’s a good season, and progress.

He’ll not take them any further though 

Can we truly define progress by merely looking at the league table?

Personally speaking and some may argue but this is probably one of the worst seasons in living memory standard wise in the Premier League.

Man United without Bruno Fernandes firing look toothless and have no ideas, for a club like Man United to be relying on one player is nowhere near good enough.

If anything, this United side are regressing, I don't care if they finish second this season it still won't change my opinion.

I think if they got rid of Ole and hired an elite manager with 2 or 3 shrewd signings they could definitely provide a proper challenge, under him they're going nowhere.

The same could probably be said of most top leagues around Europe at the minute 

I don't disagree, yet Man United still couldn't get out of their CL Group? 

United's record against the top 6 is awful also?

City dismissed them easily in the League Cup.

They look tactically inept and clueless, relying on individual brilliance to bail them out of trouble.

No sign of progress for me mate.

Any progress spotted yet?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16711672167316741675 1770>
  Share Topic