Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16431644164516461647 1770>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

10 years from their previous title or another 10 years from now?
If I had to guess, I'd say the latter.

For it's not just that they have to solve the myriad problems facing them (a big enough job in itself), but the other teams won't stand still and wait for them while they do.

Which is why eg Liverpool went 30 years even under some decent managers like Benitez without getting there; or before that Man U themselves went 25(?) years under the likes of Atkinson or Sexton.

And all three of those were better managers than OGS.

For it's not just that they have to solve the myriad problems facing them (a big enough job in itself), but the other teams won't stand still and wait for them while they do.

Which is why eg Liverpool went 30 years even under some decent managers like Benitez without getting there; or before that Man U themselves went 25(?) years under the likes of Atkinson or Sexton.

The 10 years from the last title is a done deal.
I’m talking 2020-2030.

Man U are maybe 5/6 players short of a title winning team.

When Man U were winning everything in the 90’s and 00’s they had the huge budget and appeal for players to go there. The competition was one or two clubs and they had one of the best manager in the world. They could and did pick the best players from the EPL (they had a direct line to spurs I’d say)

Now the competition is 3/4 clubs and it’s so much more difficult to attract players. Agents are painful and because it’s Man U and Manchester you have to pay more.
For various reasons they seem to miss out on the key players they want.

You need to be ruthless like city and buy, doesn’t work out, buy a replacement. And keep adding to the squad to have a title winning squad. Man U just seem to be adding big names to the squad but I’m not sure there is a long term strategy there.

Liverpool title was built on a solid strategy and a load of luck.
Klopp is a brilliant manager but even he will admit - VVD, Allison, Robertson, Salah, Mane etc all turned out 25-50% better than expected. 
I couldn’t see Man U replicating this at the moment.

It’s a club that needs an overhaul from top to bottom. 
Ole is a ‘nice’ manager but he won’t win a title. 

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 05 Nov 2020 at 4:19pm

Sponsored Links

Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The 10 years from the last title is a done deal.
I’m talking 2020-2030.

Man U are maybe 5/6 players short of a title winning team.

When Man U were winning everything in the 90’s and 00’s they had the huge budget and appeal for players to go there. The competition was one or two clubs and they had one of the best manager in the world. They could and did pick the best players from the EPL (they had a direct line to spurs I’d say)

Now the competition is 3/4 clubs and it’s so much more difficult to attract players. Agents are painful and because it’s Man U and Manchester you have to pay more.
For various reasons they seem to miss out on the key players they want.

You need to be ruthless like city and buy, doesn’t work out, buy a replacement. And keep adding to the squad to have a title winning squad. Man U just seem to be adding big names to the squad but I’m not sure there is a long term strategy there.

Liverpool title was built on a solid strategy and a load of luck.
Klopp is a brilliant manager but even he will admit - VVD, Allison, Robertson, Salah, Mane etc all turned out 25-50% better than expected. 
I couldn’t see Man U replicating this at the moment.

It’s a club that needs an overhaul from top to bottom. 
Ole is a ‘nice’ manager but he won’t win a title. 

Or he knew how could they could be with better coaching and playing with better players & had a real eye for their potential? It's called good recruitment. You don't get lucky with than many signings.

Liverpool went tru a long time of brutal recruitment so deserve huge praise for turning that around in recent years

Edited by Croftman - 05 Nov 2020 at 4:23pm
Some people just deserve a slap
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 4:26pm
Jota seems to be going the same way as those mentioned above, so its more than luck.

Did Moyes and Van Gaal both lose their jobs after defeats at Everton, or was it just Moyes?

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 05 Nov 2020 at 4:26pm
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Or he knew how could they could be with better coaching and playing with better players & had a real eye for their potential? It's called good recruitment. You don't get lucky with than many signings.

Liverpool went tru a long time of brutal recruitment so deserve huge praise for turning that around in recent years

That's exactly what Andy Robertson said Klopp and his coaches did with him Thumbs Up

After an admittedly poor showing from Robertson in his first couple of games for Liverpool, they took him out of the team for a few weeks. Klopp told Robertson bluntly but without spite that he knew he could play much better than that. 

He told Robertson that if he'd be willing to work his arse off on the training ground and listen to constructive criticism then he'd definitely feel the benefit. Robertson was put him through an intense training course and made to watch footage of his games over and over so he could see what he was doing well and what he still had to improve on. They gradually re-introduced him to the team and slowly but surely he improved over the next couple of months. 

Very good management and coaching right there.
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 8:03pm
very good performance today. No coincidence all the good performances and results are when Pogba doesn’t start.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

very good performance today. No coincidence all the good performances and results are when Pogba doesn’t start.

Don't follow that closely, but haven't they developed a habit of pulling out a big performance immediately after games where they've been slated?

Which is not a positive (imo), since they shouldn't need that in order to get motivated.

(Plus it will never win them anything. Obviously)
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 9:58am
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

I think it's a combination of Pogba not starting and also Fred starting, he's United's most important defensive midfielder at the moment, Matic is too slow and McTominay is still developing.

Edited by BigPodge - 09 Nov 2020 at 9:59am
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 7:11pm
I thought McTominay was very good and his long passing range was excellent against Everton. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Just like liverpool have over achieved this year by being 24 points ahead of city.  

Utd need to add quality into their squad esp in midfield and at centre back.  

I think their coach is not good enough either.   Thats harder to resolve but no team is a set number of points behind anyone next season.  

I don’t think United are a million miles off a challenge, the right recruitment could do the trick we have seen what a difference one player makes in Fernandes. 

If United were to get Sancho, a quality LB, CB and possibly another goalscorer who knows what might happen.

Liverpool’s first 11 is excellent, do they have the money to strengthen? Giving up the chance to sign Werner suggests the club aren’t willing to spend big.

Salah and Mane could also be missing up to a month If the AFCON goes ahead as scheduled.

You're on here giving it billy big balls about Firmino and Bayern and ignore this statement? LOL

And I will say for the record, we've all been way off the mark or wrong at times that's life. Yet there's nothing wrong with "letting something go either" instead of continuing to keep bringing it up. 

Edited by Green Devil - 10 Nov 2020 at 1:09pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Just like liverpool have over achieved this year by being 24 points ahead of city.  

Utd need to add quality into their squad esp in midfield and at centre back.  

I think their coach is not good enough either.   Thats harder to resolve but no team is a set number of points behind anyone next season.  

I don’t think United are a million miles off a challenge, the right recruitment could do the trick we have seen what a difference one player makes in Fernandes. 

If United were to get Sancho, a quality LB, CB and possibly another goalscorer who knows what might happen.

Liverpool’s first 11 is excellent, do they have the money to strengthen? Giving up the chance to sign Werner suggests the club aren’t willing to spend big.

Salah and Mane could also be missing up to a month If the AFCON goes ahead as scheduled.

You're on here giving it billy big balls about Firmino and Bayern and ignore this statement? LOL

And I will say for the record, we've all been way off the mark or wrong at times that's life. Yet there's nothing wrong with "letting something go either" instead of continuing to keep bringing it up. 

What’s wrong with the statement? If United had competent manager/chairman/owner they would challenge! City and Liverpool have been average this season and even a small club like Spurs could pull off a title challenge the way things are doing.

And I’m 100% correct on Firmino on Bayern! Thank you GD.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 10 Nov 2020 at 2:20pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 2:23pm
You made the statement based on the fact that Ole was the manager etc...

Edited by horsebox - 10 Nov 2020 at 2:25pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Did you read the post? Did they get the players I suggested to possibly mount a challenge? 

What’s your opinion on Lewandowski? “Meh” still? 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 2:45pm

Did you read the post? Did they get the players I suggested to possibly mount a challenge? 

You could argue that Burnley could mount a challenge of they got the players.

No matter what players United bring in their not going to mount any challenge under Ole.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 2:52pm

No matter what players United bring in their not going to mount any challenge under Ole.

Opinion on Lewandowski?

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 2:58pm

Opinion on Lewandowski?

None really.
I've only watched him last year in couple of games.

Not sure what Lewandowski has to do with your prediction.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 3:02pm
Meh.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 3:27pm
Am I right in reading that Utd would challenge for the title if only they could get the right players in and the correct manager and the correct ownership.   But other than that they are not far away. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 3:29pm

Am I right in reading that Utd would challenge for the title if only they could get the right players in and the correct manager and the correct ownership.   But other than that they are not far away. 

Yep, that’s how close they are to another title.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16431644164516461647 1770>
  Share Topic