You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16231624162516261627 1770>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I wouldn't describe a club who celebrates finishing 33 points behind their fiercest rivals and 15 points behind their neighbours as massive tbh.

When the mentality is finishing top 4 and not actually challenging to win the league, the stature sinks I'm afraid.

There you go telling lies again. 

You’re boring mate. 

Soz sweety did I touch a nerve xoxo
Sponsored Links

ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 1:27pm

Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

I wouldn't describe a club who celebrates finishing 33 points behind their fiercest rivals and 15 points behind their neighbours as massive tbh.

When the mentality is finishing top 4 and not actually challenging to win the league, the stature sinks I'm afraid.

It definitely wasn't because they finished so far behind their rivals, and a club like United should be challenging for top place, which the Top 4 finish, should help them get closer with attracting players etc.

Yeah definitely but you can't call yourself massive at this moment in time when you have nothing to show for it. The balance sheets are massive but so are Newcastle's and their mentality is to finish minimum 17th every season (Likewise with Sunderland when they were boring the league to death) it's not a big club mentality.

Possibly bias, but I'd consider United to still be the biggest team in England, with or without trophies

Should they be challenging for the title to consolidate this. Absolutely!

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 5:25pm

I assume by massive he means that United are one of biggest clubs in the world which is hardly a debatable topic. This has nothing to do with performance or current expectations among the fanbase. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Olaf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 3:01pm
I happened to be with Chris Smalling earlier on his way to Rome. So either he’s clearing his gaff out or he’s signing for Roma.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

Sanchez on his way to Inter. No transfer fee, but 400k a week off the wage bill
Possibly the worst ever transfer for United if not the Premier League, but a positive move

The no transfer fee thing for a top player first seemed to appear last summer with Gareth Bale. Its extraordinary that wages have inflated to such a point where clubs would actually forfeit a transfer fee in order to save the eye-watering sums they agree to pay in wages.

It seems more and more players are running down their contracts as they know on a free they can get a huge wage increase - see Arron Ramsey. 

A lot of players over 30 looking for 2/3/4 year contracts up to 35 whereas the clubs only want a shorter extension.

There is always one club that will pay/take the gamble.

It almost is mutually beneficial whereby you can get a player who has a market value of £60 Million, for free, and pay him £40 Million in wages over 3 years, with the benefit of potentially being able to shift him quickly, without losing the once off payment made to secure the transfer. My understanding with Bale was that Madrid became a little uneasy about the prospect of recouping nothing on the large fee paid in 2013, and I suspect didn't want a token £5 Million-£10 Million, and might have been up for a haircut of £30 Million, but no more.

The benefits of the contract market, since Bosman, is that it hands players significant power. And when you think about the number of players who ducked out at the end of their contracts during the recent games, its forces the club's hand, considerably.

It's interesting from an accounting perspective and it depends on the book value of the players.

Say you sign a player for £100m on a five year contract.

The club accounts (which FFP etc are based on) don't show a £100m loss in year one. They show £20m in amortisation each year over five years.

If you get rid of the player for nothing after three years, you have to book an immediate £40m loss in your accounts at that stage (i.e. the player's book value was £40m but you let him go for nothing). But if you loan him for a season, you take the normal £20m amortisation that year, and then the following year you book the last £20m once the transfer is made permanent. Club accounts tend to be run 1 July - 30 June, and if you transfer the player out when the transfer window opens on 1 July, you can book the loss then.

If you are paying the player £19m each year in wages, it may even make sense to keep him on your books, and pay him, even if you don't play him, which is mad. Look at it like this:

Sign player at start of year 1 for £100m
Value end of year 1: £80m, total outlay in the accounts £30m (£20m amortisation + £10m wages)
Value end of year 2: £60m, total outlay in the accounts £30m (£20m amortisation + £10m wages)
Value end of year 3: £40m, total outlay in the accounts £30m (£20m amortisation + £10m wages)
Value end of year 4: £20m, total outlay in the accounts £30m (£20m amortisation + £10m wages)
Value end of year 5: £0m, total outlay in the accounts £30m (£20m amortisation + £10m wages)

If you let the player go at the end of year 3, you have to then book that extra £40m:
Value end of year 1: £80m, total outlay in the accounts £30m (£20m amortisation + £10m wages)
Value end of year 2: £60m, total outlay in the accounts £30m (£20m amortisation + £10m wages)
Value end of year 3: £0m, total outlay in the accounts £70m (£60m amortisation + £10m wages)

But if you keep him and loan him out, even paying half his wages, and let him go at the end of year 4:
Value end of year 3: £40m, total outlay in the accounts £30m (£20m amortisation + £10m wages)
Value end of year 4: £00m, total outlay in the accounts £45m (£40m amortisation + £5m wages)

It costs you £5m in wages but you reduce the cost in the year three accounts from £70m to £30m, and even though you have to book more in year four, a £70m loss as opposed to a £45m loss is more manageable from the FFP perspective.

The Pjanic - Artur deal between Barcelona and Juve has some potentially dodgy amortisation issues with it: both clubs can book big profits now on player sales (because the book values of both players are low) but only have to write the cost of the player purchase off over a number of years. It basically provides them with a £60m boost to their accounts this season, in exchange for a £15m amortisation charge over the next four seasons. It is certainly something that could be used, if you wanted, to boost accounts for this season.
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 5:53pm
you are some man to get around byrner
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 10:40am
Poor performance again last night which once again highlights that after the starting 11 the rest of the squad really arent good enough
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 11:42am
Interesting post there SD. Just about got my head around it, but makes a lot of sense.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 5:19pm
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 6:46pm
Zorc is a renowned pub talker. Stated that Ousmane Dembele would not be leaving two days before he joined Barca. Guardian etc reporting the same. 

If Woodward pays up then he'll be at United, if he doesn't then he won't. Simple as
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:20pm
United in bother here.  

I think this could go all the way to penalties. Wouldn't fancy United in the shoot-out either. 
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:41pm
They've been poor alright, gone through a couple of decent 5 minute spells but very pedestrian the rest of the time.

Bruno's distribution has been shocking but still fancy him to be the one to score or assist the winner I hope United will get before FT.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:46pm
Should have been a penalty there IMO
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Didn't actually see the replay but Gerry 'Uncle Tom' Armstrong reckoned it was a total dive.  
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Didn't actually see the replay but Gerry 'Uncle Tom' Armstrong reckoned it was a total dive.  

Nothing in it, Williams never touched him.

Into squeaky bum time now.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:58pm
What a strange game, Utd hit the post 3 times 2 goals disallowed (rightly so) and a peno scrubbed off, and yet Copenhagen could have easily stole it in 90 minutes with a bit more composure which Utd have lacked at times again 
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:05pm
Bruno Heart
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:21pm
Fookin hate the Danes. They're like a sh*te that won't flush. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16231624162516261627 1770>
  Share Topic