You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15941595159615971598 1770>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Looking like United won't get any striker in before the window closes. 

Linked with Joshua King. Even an average striker is better than nothing given how desperate their current striking options are. 

Why bring in an average striker on a permanent deal though? 6 months down the line, they'll be in a better position to sign someone of quality, and then they either let King waste away on the bench/reserves, or have to try to sell another player of no use. If it was a loan deal, I wouldn't see any issue, but I don't see the point in bringing in someone on a permanent deal when they are most likely going to be of no use in half a year's time.

Needs must as United are in serious danger of not even challenging for the top 4 for the rest of the season and they will miss out on any potential (unlikely) FA Cup or Europa League success. 

They simply have to get a striker in or the rest of the season is practically a write-off imo. After 6 months King could be a good squad player. He's an experienced EPL striker. 

He wouldn't have been my choice but I'd have him over nothing. 

It's that sort of short term thinking that is part of the reason United are in this position in the first place, and have spent millions on players that have had no place at the club. You say they are in danger of missing out on top 4, do you honestly see Josh King improving their chances at all of catching Chelsea?
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 1:01pm

Linked with Joshua King. Even an average striker is better than nothing given how desperate their current striking options are. 

Why bring in an average striker on a permanent deal though? 6 months down the line, they'll be in a better position to sign someone of quality, and then they either let King waste away on the bench/reserves, or have to try to sell another player of no use. If it was a loan deal, I wouldn't see any issue, but I don't see the point in bringing in someone on a permanent deal when they are most likely going to be of no use in half a year's time.

Needs must as United are in serious danger of not even challenging for the top 4 for the rest of the season and they will miss out on any potential (unlikely) FA Cup or Europa League success. 

They simply have to get a striker in or the rest of the season is practically a write-off imo. After 6 months King could be a good squad player. He's an experienced EPL striker. 

It's that sort of short term thinking that is part of the reason United are in this position in the first place, and have spent millions on players that have had no place at the club. You say they are in danger of missing out on top 4, do you honestly see Josh King improving their chances at all of catching Chelsea?

Not even just Josh King, United's chances will at least improve slightly if they bring in another striker because they're seriously depleted in that position. 

What's the alternative really? Don't sign anyone and write the rest of the season off. it's very likely United will be out of it by the time Rashford gets back from injury. 

It's an emergency replacement but this is the position United are in. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 1:05pm
Just after reading Pukki is the latest name being linked.
Silly Season continues
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

Just after reading Pukki is the latest name being linked.
Silly Season continues

DM is that you?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 1:21pm
Josh King isn't going to get a team any nearer to a top 4 finish
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 1:34pm

They have a striker - Pogba.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

More nonsense from yourself.

Is Joe Gomez a better CB than Harry Maguire then?

Maguire and AWB are certainly not a part of United’s problems, their lack of a an actual midfield is  and the forward line needs boosted.

Spot on, the defence is the least of United's worries, especially now that Rashford is out!

I don't disagree. The defence is the least of Uniteds worries right now. There are problems galore in that side, but last summer Solskjaer and many others believed that 2 positions were now sorted into the future.

For United to be back challenging at the very top of European football though, those 2 signings last summer have compounded problem signing after problem signing. Simply put, neither were the answer to their CB and RB issues and if United are to kick on over the next few years and actually challenge again (hard to see it happening), both of those players will need to replaced as first team starters. 

On Gomez/Maguire I don't think anyone watching full matches of Gomez over the past 2 seasons would have Maguire ahead of him. Gomez is still raw but getting better and better, Maguires strengths are massively over rated. United got sold a bog standard PL defender for a world record fee.

I completely disagree about Wan Bissaka, he was been one of United's best players this season, defensively he has been very very good though he does need to improve his attacking link up play.

Brandon Williams has been superb, he is very good both defensively and in attack and is seriously strong and aggressive for his age.

Both wing back positions could be sorted for the next decade if both players stay injury free and continue to develop their game.

FAO of OnTheOneRoad.

Once again, precisely United fans have said that cliched nonsense.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

They have a striker - Pogba.

LOL LOL LOL
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 2:45pm

Not even just Josh King, United's chances will at least improve slightly if they bring in another striker because they're seriously depleted in that position. 

What's the alternative really? Don't sign anyone and write the rest of the season off. it's very likely United will be out of it by the time Rashford gets back from injury. 

Even if Rashford was fit, this season was highly unlikely to end with any success. Bringing in a striker that is not good enough simply to make up the numbers for 6 months will not change that whatsoever.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 3:00pm

Even if Rashford was fit, this season was highly unlikely to end with any success. Bringing in a striker that is not good enough simply to make up the numbers for 6 months will not change that whatsoever.

Agree on the likely outcome of this season but irrespective of how United are performing, they presently have two strikers for the next few months. They need immediate back up anyway for that position. 

It's not going to lessen United's chances by bringing him in and what if one of the two strikers gets injured themselves in the meantime?

United have no real choice here but to bring in a panic buy for the remainder of the season. It's as simple as that. I'd rather United weren't in this position but it is what it is. 

I haven't heard of any other players being drafted from the youth team and making the step up like Greenwood so that doesn't seem to be an alternative either. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 3:02pm
Josh King is a good player. Decent squad filler for any of the sides outside the top few places. Will offer something different to United as well as he's physically very strong, but also not slow by any means.

Uniteds problem is that they are paying fortunes for massively over rated first team starters, not squad fillers like King albeit the price looks quite high
 (they have to replace almost their entire regular starting 11 and obviously manager to get within an asses roar of the likes of Liverpool and challenge for a PL title).
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 3:18pm

Brandon Williams has been superb, he is very good both defensively and in attack and is seriously strong and aggressive for his age.

Both wing back positions could be sorted for the next decade if both players stay injury free and continue to develop their game.

FAO of OnTheOneRoad.

If you're going to quote someone to backup your petty argument at least get your facts right f**ky!

There's a difference between hope and fact.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 3:37pm
Only after noticing King is currently injured anyway and hasn't played for a month LOL
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 5:07pm

Agree on the likely outcome of this season but irrespective of how United are performing, they presently have two strikers for the next few months. They need immediate back up anyway for that position. 

It's not going to lessen United's chances by bringing him in and what if one of the two strikers gets injured themselves in the meantime?

United have no real choice here but to bring in a panic buy for the remainder of the season. It's as simple as that. I'd rather United weren't in this position but it is what it is. 

I haven't heard of any other players being drafted from the youth team and making the step up like Greenwood so that doesn't seem to be an alternative either. 

I get the point you're making, and if it was a loan deal, I wouldn't have much of an issue with it. A permanent deal for a sub-standard player makes no sense to me whatsoever though.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 5:22pm

FAO of OnTheOneRoad.

If you're going to quote someone to backup your petty argument at least get your facts right f**ky!

There's a difference between hope and fact.

Indeed there is, f**ky LOL

Who knew that a future prediction could indeed be classified as a fact. I doff my cap to you sir.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 9:36pm
Ighalo. That is all. 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Ighalo. That is all. 

Yeah.... But it's a deal that makes sense ultimately. Spurs and Chelsea are desperate to get cover up top in and can't get it, spurs were looking for him. United need an attacker to cover for when rashford is out, take the heat off martial, greenwood and james. If he's sh*t then it's not a lot wasted, no harm done, and Id prefer money to be squandered on players than owners and executive vice chairmen. If he's good, then great.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 31 Jan 2020 at 10:17pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 12:43pm
Well well, nearly two weeks since the last post on this thread! Is that a record? Have Man U fans finally given up on their team?

Anthow, here's something to cheer them up:
"[Mauricio] Pochettino was spotted watching Brentford against Leeds on Tuesday with Neil Ashton, PR advisor to Manchester United executive vice chairman Ed Woodward, walking in behind him."

And he's been quoted elsewhere as saying how he'd love to be back managing in the PL.

I daresay MU fans will be putting 2 + 2 together at this news (before looking for someone who can count beyond three to help them out).

But I can confirm that Poch simply wanted to complete the 'Four Pub Challenge' at Griffin Park with his old mate Bielsa, before the Bees move to their new stadium for next season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15941595159615971598 1770>
  Share Topic