Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15841585158615871588 1770>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:35pm
does Paul Pogba still exist?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 4:40am
United marking on corners is shocking. Hows does Williams end up being the closest to van Dijk for the corner he scores from.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 7:56am
Sad state of affairs when Dan James plays nearly every game.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 9:27am
United have missed out on getting a physio from Celtic, as they let 3 months pass without getting the deal done. Sums the whole state of affairs at that club up rather nicely.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:44am
Really is a frustrating time in all aspects of the club
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:53am
Chris Sutton went to town on United yesterday on 5 Live.

A club living in the past, a Europa League club at best, not even the best team in their city, miles off Liverpool, he can't see where they are going with Solskjaer and were they can go from here

Seemed irked that Daniel James commented that United were confident of not losing at Liverpool, saying this shows how far they've fallen.
Also seemed annoyed that Ole wouldn't call Liverpool a great team before the game
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 12:10pm
Evra hit the nail on the head yesterday, players nowadays will only come to Man United because of the money and not because of the draw of the club.

Look we all know most modern day footballers are heavily influenced by $$$ through agents and what not but not looking at it from a cynical point of view he is spot on.

In a simple comparison rewind back 10 years ago, most players would have joined United for less money to play for Fergie whereas now I'm sure if Everton or West Ham offered a random Dutch or Brazilian international £20,000 more a week they would go there.

Man United need to stop throwing crazy money at the problem to try and catch up, they just need to rebuild and accept they're firmly in transition as a club.

Ole could spent £200,000 in the summer and they still won't win the title imo or even get close to it.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Evra hit the nail on the head yesterday, players nowadays will only come to Man United because of the money and not because of the draw of the club.

Look we all know most modern day footballers are heavily influenced by $$$ through agents and what not but not looking at it from a cynical point of view he is spot on.

In a simple comparison rewind back 10 years ago, most players would have joined United for less money to play for Fergie whereas now I'm sure if Everton or West Ham offered a random Dutch or Brazilian international £20,000 more a week they would go there.

Man United need to stop throwing crazy money at the problem to try and catch up, they just need to rebuild and accept they're firmly in transition as a club.

Ole could spent £200,000 in the summer and they still won't win the title imo or even get close to it.
That wouldn’t get you much in today’s market.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:21pm

Every club is in transition. You're either in transition or youre stagnant. The haphazard way that crazy money has been thrown about by an investment banker who hasn't the first notion what he is doing is the issue. The spending of the money itself is one thing, the application of it is another. 

There isn't really a point in comparing United to the top 2 in terms of quality on the pitch - they're too far behind. However, to use one example where there's no reason United can't do this just as well as them - I struggle to imagine Manchester City or Liverpool getting into a position where one single injury in attack leads them scouring the market for whichever journeyman or mercenary striker will come along on a short-term loan. If they got rid of their two most experienced attacking players, they'd have replacements scouted, approached and ready to come in. United don't have to be at their level yet to be prepared for that possibility, that just comes from being a well-run club, regardless of the quality of the players. if the club is well-run, quality players will follow. 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:22pm
That 200,000 would probably get you a 2 bed apartment in Limerick. Ole could apply for the Pike Rovers job then but tbh I don't think he'd make their shortlist of managers.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 20 Jan 2020 at 3:24pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 5:15pm
Its now being reported that United are sending scouts to see which strikers can be brought in. With 11 days until the transfer window closes. Once again, City and Liverpool would never be so amateurishly unprepared, and that's a standard you can set that has nothing to do with where you are quality-wise on the pitch. Klopp or Pep would be made to look incompetent in this setup. Which is why they rightly never even considered it.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 20 Jan 2020 at 5:16pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:25pm

Even when they offer more money, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll get their man.

Erling Haaland is/was the hottest young prospect in football. He had a release clause of €20m in his contract at Salzburg. OGS had been his manager at Molde and he himself knew England from his father.

But in the end he signed for Dortmund, even though he they offered a considerably lower wage deal than MU. Of course, his Agent wanted a lower buy-out clause in his contract than MU were prepared to countenance, but back in the days of Sir Alex, you never had any thoughts of where your next move might be after Old Trafford, other than it would be downwards or retirement.

Still, MU can comfort themselves from knowing that they've got Greenwood and besides, Haaland's probably overrated...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11911694/erling-haaland-scores-23-minute-hat-trick-on-borussia-dortmund-debut

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

1. Liverpool's fadeout in the last quarter would have cost them against better opposition.
2. Harry Maguire £80m? Shane Duffy is available
3. de Gea? He now makes more excuses than saves. 

LOL
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:23am
In the 90’s Man U could offer more money, Europe and trophies.
I don’t think they got players on the cheap but players were willing to leave their clubs and go there. 

Now Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City etc  can offer the same.
Also most EPL clubs don’t need to sell now so massive fees need to be paid. 

Man U Will always have money but they need to spend it wisely and have the right manager in place. 

newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 10:37am
As has been pointed out before, Manchester United are mirroring Liverpool in the 90's.  History is indeed repeating itself.

1989:  Liverpool lose out on the League title due to a last minute goal in one of the most dramatic climaxes in league history.  They would go on to win the championship the following season, but it would be the last time they are crowned champions.

2012:  Man Utd lose out on the League title due to a last minute goal in one of the most dramatic climaxes in league history.  They would go on to win the championship the following season, but it would be the last time they are crowned champions.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 12:26pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

1. Liverpool's fadeout in the last quarter would have cost them against better opposition.
2. Harry Maguire £80m? Shane Duffy is available
3. de Gea? He now makes more excuses than saves. 

LOL
What's your point?

My point is Adam Webster who can get nowhere near the England squad starts ahead of Shane Duffy, Is he better than Harry Maguire?

Maguire is England's best CB by some distance so to compare him to Shane Duffy is embarrassing.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 12:43pm
Maguire and AWB are 2 players United will need to replace if they are to ever to get back to the very top and regularly challenging for PL and CL titles. They are levels below that requirement and the money spent on them was comical.

Also, in terms of England, their CBs are their weakest in the last 20-30 years. Maguire is a part of that problem as he has an arse the size of an articulated lorry and turns as quickly as said lorry. If Southgate has any sense he'll at least have Gomez in there for the Euros as Gomez is quick.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 12:54pm
More nonsense from yourself.

Is Joe Gomez a better CB than Harry Maguire then?

Maguire and AWB are certainly not a part of United’s problems, their lack of a an actual midfield is  and the forward line needs boosted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15841585158615871588 1770>
  Share Topic