You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15811582158315841585 1770>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:51pm
As a Spurs fan, I thought I was getting depressed, but I realise I'm merely "Clinically Fed-Up" (to quote Partridge).

It's MU fans who are/should be depressed!

There! I almost feel better now, at least until about six o'clock tomorrow evening.

If we can hold out that long...
Sponsored Links

eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:59pm
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 9:54pm
At least in the midst of the doom and gloom this season, Rashford is having a bit of a year and Greenwood is doing extremely well for 18.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 10:43pm
Pathetic from Solskjaer saying “it’s a sign of how far we’ve come“ that City put a full strength side out against them last week in the carabao cup semi final

Firstly they didn’t as Ederson and Aguero weren’t on.
Secondly they outclassed them

Imagine Moyes had said that. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Pathetic from Solskjaer saying “it’s a sign of how far we’ve come“ that City put a full strength side out against them last week in the carabao cup semi final

Firstly they didn’t as Ederson and Aguero weren’t on.
Secondly they outclassed them

Imagine Moyes had said that. 

Grade A BS, isn’t it? It’s like when managers of teams who have been beaten heavily by a top team offer a pass after the game saying that it was to be expected. First, it was an inaccurate statement and second it’s almost sycophantic and in awe of City.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:40am
The man is still in managing Cardiff City mode. Someone change his settings 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

The man is still in managing Cardiff City mode. Someone change his settings 

And OGS should know. He played for over a decade under the best manager, and was used to winning things in a hyper competitive squad environment. Promoting the idea that City “respected” them as a positive or as a metric of development is embarrassing.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 11:33am
Who really cares what managers of foreign teams say in their after-match interviews, it’s nearly always bullsh*t from them all anyhow LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 12:38pm
United need a few signings and there's still a lot of deadwood in the squad. It's all well and good saying that United have spent so much money - they've spent it badly for the most part. 

The attack has promise - Rashford has been one of the best in the league this season so far, Martial is coming into his own, Greenwood has hit 9 goals, Dan James has been a very astute signing. Another forward player to complement that quartet would be welcome - Tahith Chong has a lot of promise, or could sign one. 

The defence is relatively ok, though will never win a Premier League. Wan Bissaka will have the right back spot for a very long time. Same with Maguire in the middle. Lindelof can be bullied by premier league strikers and that's not something he can really address, he cant become taller. Brandon Williams has been very impressive in his appearances, but then again, so was Cameron Borthwick-Jackson a few years ago. Has a way to go to establish himself fully. Beyond those four, the landscape at the back is bleak. Tuanzebe has promise, so does Dalot, but Shaw, Jones, Young, Bailly, Rojo won't cut it. Apparently Smalling has excelled in Rome, will believe it when i see it for United.

Midfield is a disaster zone. McTominay has been very good. Fred is slowly coming into his own. And that's about it. Andreas Pereira is one of the worst players i've ever seen at United. Pogba - no need to delve into that one further, he's on his way out. Mata is finished. Lingard is useless three-quarters of the time. Gomes isn't getting games. 

I'm not sure if it's by accident or by design that united play the football that they do, on the counter. Perhaps Ole only knows how to play small team football, but the United midfield gets bullied by virtually any team in the top half. I'd take Ndidi-Tielemans-Maddison or Neves-Moutinho-Dendoncker over United's midfield in a second. United do not have the quality to impose themselves on a midfield of that level, and they don't have the imagination to unlock defences below that level. Bruno Fernandes would be a step towards addressing the latter problem. Still, the midfield is hopelessly below the standard required, and is a big reason as to why United have been awful in so many games this year
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 12:58pm
Rashford, Greenwood, James, Martial etc are good players but it depends what level Man U want to get too.

Would any of them get into the current Man City / Liverpool team?

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Rashford, Greenwood, James, Martial etc are good players but it depends what level Man U want to get too.

Would any of them get into the current Man City / Liverpool team?

Man City and liverpool have players that are much further along in their development as players than those 4, most of their players are in their prime. Martial is the oldest player at 24, which would make him younger than the vast majority of first-team attackers at both other clubs. They may not currently be at that level but they have time on their side.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 1:30pm
I read last week after the City match, can't remember where it was, that one of United's problems is a serious lack of investment in the squad. Couldn't believe what I was reading. Have they not had one of the most expensively assembled squads in world football consistently for the last five years or so? They were even the most expensively assembled squad in footballing history at a point. Their wage bill is also the highest in the league. Over paying on players who don't improve the team doesn't equate to a lack of investment.

I don't think McTominay or Fred will ever be good enough players for a team consistently finishing in the top 4 and competing for the titles that United should be. Same goes for most of their squad.

Where did Borthiwch Jackson end up?
Tyler Blackett was another calamity.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I read last week after the City match, can't remember where it was, that one of United's problems is a serious lack of investment in the squad. Couldn't believe what I was reading. Have they not had one of the most expensively assembled squads in world football consistently for the last five years or so? They were even the most expensively assembled squad in footballing history at a point. Their wage bill is also the highest in the league. Over paying on players who don't improve the team doesn't equate to a lack of investment.

I don't think McTominay or Fred will ever be good enough players for a team consistently finishing in the top 4 and competing for the titles that United should be. Same goes for most of their squad.

Where did Borthiwch Jackson end up?
Tyler Blackett was another calamity.

The investment has been poor, not an insufficient amount of money but poor. Paying too much money for average 'names', turning down players for stupid reasons (who was the player whos head was too large? I think Joao Felix was turned down as a potential signing because his father was overweight etc) Considering that share sales, interest paid, director's fees and dividends to the Glazers comes in at 1.4 billion since their time at United, it is also clear to see that the primary aim is not improving on the pitch.

The investment has been insufficient for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Lukaku, Fellaini, Sanchez, Smalling, Herrera, Valencia and Darmian have all been shown the door either permanently or temporarily, with a Championship attacker and two defenders coming in, who were desperately needed anyway. It's not OGS's team. People always talk about how much deadwood there is in the squad and how many players won't cut it at United, but then also point to the money used to assemble the squad (that wasn't spent by him) as proof that they should be challenging - can't have it both ways. 

An investment banker with zero knowledge of football was put in charge of transfers and brought in Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez and so on in order to boost shirt sales. This did not work. In the past few windows, United have had a net spend lower than most Premier League clubs despite generating by far the most revenue. In the last four windows, United have a lower net spend than newly promoted Aston Villa did in summer. 

"What we do on the commercial side of things isn't really affected by on-pitch performance" as Woodward famously put it.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 13 Jan 2020 at 1:57pm
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 1:59pm
€1.4b spent I read.

Pogba on £330k a week, Salah on £200k, Mane on £100k.

Maguire on £190k a week, van Dijk on £180k.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 2:01pm
Dan James hasn’t overly impressed me, started really well but has had little impact over the past few months. 

Brandon Williams looks a great prospect I would have him ahead of Shaw already, and can play in both full back positions.

Borthwick-Jackson is back at the club RB, recalled from his loan spell at Tranmere, he’s on £12k a week apparently and his contract runs out in the summer, don’t imagine he will get offered anywhere close to that amount from his next club.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 2:08pm
The net spend doesn’t tell the full story of how many players have been bought for large sums of money with a view to satisfying the demands of very well paid, and well respected managers. What happened between the end of the Moyes era and the end of Jose should have restored Man United. The players bought, managers employed, the wider staff. It was remarkable how little that achieved. The current strategy is really just about holding firm. If it wasn’t for the name and what comes with it, the current squad would be in the bottom half of the table.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The net spend doesn’t tell the full story of how many players have been bought for large sums of money with a view to satisfying the demands of very well paid, and well respected managers. What happened between the end of the Moyes era and the end of Jose should have restored Man United. The players bought, managers employed, the wider staff. It was remarkable how little that achieved. The current strategy is really just about holding firm. If it wasn’t for the name and what comes with it, the current squad would be in the bottom half of the table.

I can't say i get the last point - what do you mean? The squad is overachieving?

The net spend doesn't tell the full story of what you mentioned, but it is indicative of a pattern of rolling back percentages of revenue spent on footballing matters. It also isn't Ole's fault, or his problem. He lost an important midfielder in Herrera, in what was already a weak and unconvincing midfield, and has had no money spent there. The United midfield is so far off most other top half midfields at the minute in terms of quality, that it's difficult to gauge what the rest of the team is actually capable of doing. They are dominated by superior midfields in, at least, close to half of the games they play.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I can't say i get the last point - what do you mean? The squad is overachieving?

The net spend doesn't tell the full story of what you mentioned, but it is indicative of a pattern of rolling back percentages of revenue spent on footballing matters. It also isn't Ole's fault, or his problem. He lost an important midfielder in Herrera, in what was already a weak and unconvincing midfield, and has had no money spent there. The United midfield is so far off most other top half midfields at the minute in terms of quality, that it's difficult to gauge what the rest of the team is actually capable of doing. They are dominated by superior midfields in, at least, close to half of the games they play.

I think it is overachieving based on teams arriving with a mentality that you’re playing Man United and as a result play in a conservative way that is simply not as necessary as it was in the past. When you arrived at Old Trafford, historically, you always knew that you were in for the toughest game of the season, and even if United played poorly, the chances were a 1-0 lead in the last five minutes could totally evaporate. In this day and age of back most teams to maintain a 1 goal lead at OT.

I actually feel that Ole has got to the nub of a problem by going after expensive backline players. Post Ferguson, the club seemed unwilling to put its hand in its pocket for a defender the way the would for a midfielder or striker, and when you think about Ferguson prioritising a big ticket defender when purchasing Rio in 2002, it makes sense. But that now means United are dealing with a generally poor midfield and strikers who are just not as prolific as their predecessors. Hence, I think other teams should be more willing to attack than they sometimes seem to be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15811582158315841585 1770>
  Share Topic