Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manchester Utd Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15761577157815791580 1770>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

No denying that both Liverpool and Leicester are very good examples but there are countless clubs who don't operate like either in the Premiership.

It helps that Leicester are a middle of the road Midlands club with reasonable expectations (not deluded like Watford or Everton for argument sake) while Liverpool have been extremely inconsistent as a club for the best part of 30 years bar a few glory years, so it was clear allowing Klopp the freedom to implement his ideas and methods over a long period (backed by the owners) was needed to get them back to where the club belongs.

Man United are victims of their own success, fans are restless because they can't accept they are no longer top dog anymore and are basically using every avenue possible to blame their worries on one man basically Confused

The funny thing is United could go out and spend £100m in January on players the manager want's and he's still getting the brunt of it?

Maybe if they just accepted that they're now seen as nothing more than a top 6 side and appreciate the glory years they would be more understanding.

The thing is, that is not what has happened. Since FSG have taken over, they've had an idea of how they want to structure the club and run things - They've made some large mistakes and learned from them and after a number of iterations have now come upon a set up that works of which Klopp is only a part - A very important part- but a part nonetheless. 
Throwing money at a problem without a plan just doesn't work - United are proving this. If I was a United fan, I'd be disgusted that nothing has been done to put in place a plan and a structure in terms of player development and recruitment under the guidance of a sporting director who has a vision and has been tasked with implementing it. That whole phrase of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results really springs to mind here. 

Well looking at United's goal scorers yesterday and recruitment this summer they have a plan in place it would seem?

Just their fans are getting restless because they can't see that the man leading them on the pitch is out his depth and want to blame the suits with no control over results.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 2:50pm

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

No denying that both Liverpool and Leicester are very good examples but there are countless clubs who don't operate like either in the Premiership.

It helps that Leicester are a middle of the road Midlands club with reasonable expectations (not deluded like Watford or Everton for argument sake) while Liverpool have been extremely inconsistent as a club for the best part of 30 years bar a few glory years, so it was clear allowing Klopp the freedom to implement his ideas and methods over a long period (backed by the owners) was needed to get them back to where the club belongs.

Man United are victims of their own success, fans are restless because they can't accept they are no longer top dog anymore and are basically using every avenue possible to blame their worries on one man basically Confused

The funny thing is United could go out and spend £100m in January on players the manager want's and he's still getting the brunt of it?

Maybe if they just accepted that they're now seen as nothing more than a top 6 side and appreciate the glory years they would be more understanding.

The thing is, that is not what has happened. Since FSG have taken over, they've had an idea of how they want to structure the club and run things - They've made some large mistakes and learned from them and after a number of iterations have now come upon a set up that works of which Klopp is only a part - A very important part- but a part nonetheless. 
Throwing money at a problem without a plan just doesn't work - United are proving this. If I was a United fan, I'd be disgusted that nothing has been done to put in place a plan and a structure in terms of player development and recruitment under the guidance of a sporting director who has a vision and has been tasked with implementing it. That whole phrase of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results really springs to mind here. 

Well looking at United's goal scorers yesterday and recruitment this summer they have a plan in place it would seem?

Just their fans are getting restless because they can't see that the man leading them on the pitch is out his depth and want to blame the suits with no control over results.

Who appointed him?

No, I don't think United have any plan on recruitment. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 2:58pm
Who did the fans want?

Do you not think there would have been uproar if Solskjaer wasn't appointed because I do, between fans, Sir Alex, ex players etc wanting him getting the job.

Well I disagree there re recruitment, it's fairly evident that they're trying to move away from giving players a last big pay day by signing for United for outrageous sums on money.

If they sign anyone in January it'll be an up and coming young player, with the scope to improve.

It's easy for Liverpool fans to smile now though, they were a shambles and were in a worse situation than United are now for huge periods of the past 30 years or so.

Its shows no clubs are perfect.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 3:02pm

Who did the fans want?

Do you not think there would have been uproar if Solskjaer wasn't appointed because I do, between fans, Sir Alex, ex players etc wanting him getting the job.

Well I disagree there re recruitment, it's fairly evident that they're trying to move away from giving players a last big pay day by signing for United for outrageous sums on money.

If they sign anyone in January it'll be an up and coming young player, with the scope to improve.

It's easy for Liverpool fans to smile now though, they were a shambles and were in a worse situation than United are now for huge periods of the past 30 years or so.

Its shows no clubs are perfect.
So, Woodward makes the wrong decision to keep the fans happy? Then he is at fault - Simple as that. A proper strategy involves identifying what type of manager you are looking for and then going out and trying to find him. Not just employing a name.

And your point about Liverpool being in a worse situation is exactly why some of Liverpool fans can see exactly what is wrong with United - It looks very familiar. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 3:09pm
So if you were Woodward after Solskjaers stunning start in charge you wouldn't have even offered him a one year deal for argument sake?

I would be very skeptical if you said no, hindsight is a great thing.

In appointing Solskjaer they wanted a man who knew the club inside out and the identity of Manchester United (this has been trotted out time and time again) he came in and done brilliantly initially I think he deserved a chance (even on a year deal) 

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 3:15pm

So if you were Woodward after Solskjaers stunning start in charge you wouldn't have even offered him a one year deal for argument sake?

In appointing Solskjaer they wanted a man who knew the club inside out and the identity of Manchester United (this has been trotted out time and time again) he came in and done brilliantly initially I think he deserved a chance (even on a year deal) 

No, if I had a plan I would stick to it. Owners or people running clubs constantly crack me up.
Like those in charge of Everton who spent ages chasing Silva and then when they couldn't get him, appoint Sam Allardyce. Two managers with more differing approaches to the game you would be hard to find. 
If I had been running United and I had found myself in Woodward's position when he started considering Mourinho's position, I would have resisted the temptation to sack him immediately. I would have devoted my efforts to persuading Monchi to come to United after he left Roma. From there, you decide on what style of manager you/he agree on as a template for the future direction of the club, identify who fits the bill and only then dispense with Mourinho once you have who you want. 
Having somebody who "Knew" the club wouldn't even appear on my list of criteria for a new manager. 
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 3:22pm

Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

Not the sole blame, but certainly deserves a portion.
Seems to be an astute business man, but lacking football knowledge.
Has had a key role in the hiring of all of Fergies successors, none of who could be considered successful
Though not the only reason for the poor performances this year, the recruitment during the summer has to be questioned, a number of key positions leaving and not being addressed, namely midfield and upfront. Again, a Woodward issue

I would argue that bar a handful of clubs in world football, they would have taken hand and all to get Jose Mourinho in charge of their club so again no idea why he'd ever be blamed for getting him in? He also back Mourinho with huge funds/wages and again he's the one to blame?

I have to laugh at that point because your very clubs manager said he would have been happy to work with the squad he inherited before the season ended and again in June after they signed James and Wan Bassaka.

Then Woodward goes out and gets him an £80m defender on top of that? I agree United were light up top front when Lukaku left but there has to be a balance, even at a top club with spending on transfers (Especially when you factor in how much money United have spent in the past decade on transfers)

United fan's have the nerve to poke fun at Chelsea and Man City's spending, yet they think the answer to all of their problems is to outspend everyone else in the hope it gets them out of this hole they're in as a club?

A dose of reality and perspective is needed at Old Trafford and acceptance of the clubs new position as merely a top 6 club (on the pitch anyway)

I as a United fan didn't and wouldn't have wanted him near the club, but granted I don't speak for all but the majority I know didn't want Jose at the club either.

Laugh all you want, I mentioned recruitment policy, which includes the players brought in. James has turned into a good signing, granted. AWB is a good young player, but for 50million can't be considered a good signing. Maguire for 80m is crazy money as he is just about better than the players that were there already. Who sanctioned these deals.

Meanwhile, already not graced with an abundance of midfield options, Herrera, arguably Uniteds best player over the last number of seasons is allowed leave on a free. A number of replacements were discussed to replace him, two were probably needed due to the lack of backup and none were brought in
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Worst possible outcome! A defeat and surely Ole would have been under serious pressure, a point gives him a stay of execution. 

Would you have rather a loss than a draw?

If it meant sacking Ole and appointing a competent manager then yea.

I doubt you'd want Ireland to lose if it mean't getting rid of a manager you don't like would you? 

Depends on the situation?

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 3:55pm

Ole got appointed on the back of the PSG fluke.

What was the rush to appoint him on a full time basis? I’m sure all parties would have been happy to wait until the end of the season but Woodward jumped the gun and made a poor judgement call, of course he has to take a lot of blame with the state of the current side.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:58pm

Worst possible outcome! A defeat and surely Ole would have been under serious pressure, a point gives him a stay of execution. 

I doubt you'd want Ireland to lose if it mean't getting rid of a manager you don't like would you? 

I wouldn't agree on hoping my team loses because the manager isn't fit to be in charge for whatever reason. 

When push comes to shove you wouldn't really want to go to an Ireland game hoping they lose because you wanted X manager out. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 6:58pm

I wouldn't agree on hoping my team loses because the manager isn't fit to be in charge for whatever reason. 

When push comes to shove you wouldn't really want to go to an Ireland game hoping they lose because you wanted X manager out. 

Fair enough! I’d prefer short term damage over long term.

Thankfully for Ireland we won’t have too long to wait for a needed change in approach.
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 8:47pm

I find it rather odd why United fans see Ed Woodward as much as a hate figure as Blackburn fans hated the Venkys or the Mags with Mike Ashley.

The sheer amount of money United managers have been sanctioned by him has been outrageous, instead of looking closer and blaming under performing players or managers the fans direct most of their hate and anger towards Woodward.

I do get that Woodward isn't a football man per say and has made mistakes, but it's very naive for Man United fans to think he is the route of all their problems imo.

Since Fergie left, there has been a number of people that fans say are a reason for the decline, it's just plain wrong to say Woodward has been the main blame. It's also wrong to ignore the role he has played in this, he has made a number of bad and very costly mistakes. As Borussia has pointed out, the club STILL has not put a DoF or sporting director in place, which given the fact Woodward hasn't a notion about football, means the club lacks any clear direction. Giving Ole a 3 year contract after 3 good months just sums him up, he made the decision that fans thought would be a good idea, rather than actually focusing on appointing a manager who was actually good enough to bring the team forward.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 10:13am
Bruno Fernandes signs a new deal at Lisbon which no doubt has an inflated release clause.
Another fine piece of business from Woodword 
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 4:33pm
Great to see so many youngsters getting a run out today, also great to see Lingard get his first goal in 28 games.

Astana are a terrible side.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 5:31pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 7:14pm
Had Astana double chance backed at evens, They only played for about 15 minutes and were able to put away United. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2019 at 8:00pm
Alkmaar only drew 2-2 with Partizan Belgrade. That's a positive for United because it means they only need a draw to top the group.

It's also a positive for Scottish teams, because Alkmaar came from 0-2 and 10 men in the 88th minute to win, to knock Partizan out. It's another result towards Scotland getting a second Champions League place, as Serbia is one of the countries they need to overcome. There's a strong chance that Scotland will rise in the rankings and get a second UCL place.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 1:08pm
The axe must be hovering after another poor result yesterday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15761577157815791580 1770>
  Share Topic