You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enda Stevens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 28>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 3:47pm
We might have to get creative in September. Realistically it is an issue that we don't have a genuine backup option for Enda Stevens who is no spring chicken.

Options over the next while would seem to be:
James McClean - out of favour at club level himself.
Ryan Manning - arguably next in line but always seems in and out of his club sides. 
Joel Bagan - not sure if 100% on board yet but 19 year old left back at Cardiff who started their game last weekend.
Liam Scales - Flying for Rovers, likely to get a move to Celtic or elsewhere by September. 

Truthfully of that lot I would think scales is your best bet for the September games, although maybe it would be a tough task throwing him in against Portugal on his debut.
Sponsored Links

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 3:52pm
extremely harsh on Enda Steven’s uncalled for really .
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

We might have to get creative in September. Realistically it is an issue that we don't have a genuine backup option for Enda Stevens who is no spring chicken.

Ryan Manning - arguably next in line but always seems in and out of his club sides. 
Joel Bagan - not sure if 100% on board yet but 19 year old left back at Cardiff who started their game last weekend.
Liam Scales - Flying for Rovers, likely to get a move to Celtic or elsewhere by September. 

Truthfully of that lot I would think scales is your best bet for the September games, although maybe it would be a tough task throwing him in against Portugal on his debut.

From the above, I would have McClean as LB but is worrying that hes getting no game time. Doherty and then Manning, if he gets a good run of games, then would be by next option. As you say, hard to hand a debut to Scales with a qualifier against Portugal.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

What is? He's injured and likely to miss the next games.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Woahhhh calm down, that’s uncalled for.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

McClean not getting game time either. Not good

Yeah, we're not exactly flushed with players that can play left back, I think Manning is another option that might not see much game time.

I wonder if oshea can do a job there, pretty sure he's played across the whole back line at some point.
Liam Scales will be capped when he gets on the magic plane...

Magic plane = playing against stronger opposition every week?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by DublinScouse1916 DublinScouse1916 wrote:

Jokanović: "Enda will still be a few weeks out. We are thinking about surgery. We are thinking about 4-6 weeks."

Has never played well for us so no loss

This was the post I was replying to folks😕😕😕
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:42pm

matt doherty?
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

matt doherty?

Yeah forgot to mention Doherty. He's arguably the most realistic of the lot. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 5:04pm

Originally posted by DublinScouse1916 DublinScouse1916 wrote:

Jokanović: "Enda will still be a few weeks out. We are thinking about surgery. We are thinking about 4-6 weeks."

Has never played well for us so no loss

This was the post I was replying to folks😕😕😕

Is it wrong though? Can’t remember him ever playing well for us.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Woahhhh calm down, that’s uncalled for.

Smile
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 8:09pm
Hopefully means there's no prospect of us going back to 4-3-3 for the September games now - it's obvious Kenny is desperate to get back to his favourite formation but we only have one half decent left back and he's now injured so that will force him to go with the formation that actually suits the players we have.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Hopefully means there's no prospect of us going back to 4-3-3 for the September games now - it's obvious Kenny is desperate to get back to his favourite formation but we only have one half decent left back and he's now injured so that will force him to go with the formation that actually suits the players we have.

If he was desperate to get back to 4-3-3 wouldn't we played it in the summer?

I think 4-3-3 won't be used until next year's nation's league games. I'd rather we continue to play three at the back though, and have the U21s play the same formation. Would probably suit them more than the seniors.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 9:32pm
Players available just don't dictate the formation alone though, you have to take into account the individual opposition too. How they line up and their threats and weaknesses.

Kenny from day 1 made the point that we need to be adaptable, we need to be able to change formation when needed, he mentions it most interviews ..and we do.

We've played 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 under him. I dont think he favors anyone system, no manager should. Their job is to look at what player they have, analysis the opposition and pick something that they think will yield the best results.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 8:24am
He has always been quite wedded to 4-3-3 or a variant of it. But 3-5-2 is clearly the setup that fits the players we have, given our lack of decent left backs, right wing forwards and 10s. Just have a bad feeling that sooner or later he will once again try to shoehorn in players into a 4-3-3 to fit the way he thinks the game should be played. Hopefully not though, the Hungary game showed that we have the players to compete if they're set up properly.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 10:37am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

He has always been quite wedded to 4-3-3 or a variant of it. But 3-5-2 is clearly the setup that fits the players we have, given our lack of decent left backs, right wing forwards and 10s. Just have a bad feeling that sooner or later he will once again try to shoehorn in players into a 4-3-3 to fit the way he thinks the game should be played. Hopefully not though, the Hungary game showed that we have the players to compete if they're set up properly.

For international football, player selection can change from game to game seeing as there can be a gap of 8 months between them.

For me it makes more sense to set a formation and tactic and fit the players into it rather than select a formation based on the players you have that day.

Germany did it that way when they had padolski and Klose who were not playing well for their clubs at all but were selected for world cup duty as they fit the formation better than the other forwards (of which there were not many quality forwards available) 

This way, any new players coming into the team know the formation and tactics before they join the squad. For me having the players already know what is expected of them before they join the squad is a massive benefit, rather than setting the team up with the week they have together.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 10:59am
That's fine, but in that case let's use a formation that suits the players we have available to us and stick with it. This is not a club team and we can't just sign players to fit the manager's preferred formation. We do not have the players to play 4-3-3 or a variant of it (4-2-3-1 etc) as we don't have good enough left backs, we don't have an obvious 10 to play a Hoolahan role, we don't have a natural right sided forward who is good enough and we don't have a centre forward who is good enough to play as a lone striker at international level.

We have centre backs, tons of them, decent wing backs, solid but not especially creative midfielders and forwards who work better when they're paired with another forward, not left up front on their own. So the formation that brings all that together is 3-5-2/5-3-2. It would be crazy for us to move away from it and back to something which hasn't worked despite being tried for almost a full season's worth of international games.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 6:52pm
Makes his return form injury tonight against Southampton.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 28>
  Share Topic