Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Séamus Coleman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 198199200201202 230>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

The variety is that you have either Doherty's clever link play and runs off the touchline; or Coleman's more traditional overlapping runs down the right. That is about as good a result as Ireland could have hoped for I'd have thought, it's certainly not to be scoffed at.

Coleman is doing a reduced bit in that system than we would normally get from him and I personally think picking a player out of position for one attacking purpose where he has very little variety is not a plan I’d like to see ireland go with. I’d rather different options who have more variety. Personal opinion.

The obvious question is whether we then have anyone else who can play on the right that would offer more variety? Someone like O'Dowda offers more in terms of taking players on himself, but his style of pretty much always going inside arguably does not suit the attacking abilities of either Coleman or Doherty playing behind him. Added to that the fact that whoever else might play on the right would probably provide less of a goal threat than Doherty, and I'm not convinced you would be getting any more "variety" from them.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 7:04pm
I fear with Doherty ahead of Coleman on the right we'd get congestion there as they would not compliment each other, but take each other's space.
Don't forget that Coleman is an attacking threat out of a four also.

I'd play Coleman on Thurs week and bench Doherty.

Edited by Fozz - 28 Sep 2020 at 5:53pm
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 3:22pm
Seamus absolutely has to start Thursday week. He's playing out of his skin
Here we go again
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 3:34pm
 On current form and experience, I'd agree that Coleman should get the nod for the Slovakia game. Id be very surprised if he doesn't.

For the nations league games id like to see both come in and play. I believe the only time that we tried both in the same team was vs Gibralter for a few mins? 

Don't think playing both has been properly tried.

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:21pm
I think we missed his aggression and pace in the defensive third. Also just leadership and experience. He’s on great form, he has to start
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 5:00pm
I'd agree on the latter for sure anyway.

Genuinely would find it hard to be motivated by a guy like Duffy as captain. Battering ram yes, motivational speaker, no.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:50am
Coleman a far superior player to Doherty.

Logical solution is to play 3 at the back with Coleman as the right centre half. 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 1:02am
Maybe in time if would be a good way to accommodate both Citizen but I dont think coleman has been tested there. 
Ultimately, if its a one on one scrap for the RB position then I think it has to be coleman for a number of reasons. 

I think a more straight forward way to accomodate both would be to play Doherty on the right of a 4 man midfield or more radically, as the RW of a front 3. My thinking here, you could alternate between 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 throughout the game. 
If someone like mcgoldrick was unfit against Slovakia, could think of something like a front 3 of Connolly, Robinson, Doherty. With then Doherty dropping back to RM and connolly and robinson becoming a front 2. 

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Logical solution is to play 3 at the back with Coleman as the right centre half. 

The logical solution is for the manager to pick a formation he wants to play and then select the best players available to suit that formation.

If that means only one of Doherty or Coleman plays then so be it.
Neither would be comfortable at LB or in MF imo.
And it’s not like we would be leaving out a world class player.

Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 11:29am
Don't think Doherty was good enough in our last two games. I would start Coleman 100% as he is flying.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Don't think Doherty was good enough in our last two games. I would start Coleman 100% as he is flying.

Both are interchangeable depending on which way the wind in blowing. Both have been poor for ireland (or just ok at best)

If Coleman is selected this time there will be calls for Doherty to play in the next game. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Both are interchangeable depending on which way the wind in blowing. Both have been poor for ireland (or just ok at best)

If Coleman is selected this time there will be calls for Doherty to play in the next game. 

You could make the case that Coleman has not been at his best for the last two years, but I could never say he’s been poor. Before that he was regularly our best player. No arguments on Doherty though.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:31am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The logical solution is for the manager to pick a formation he wants to play and then select the best players available to suit that formation.

If that means only one of Doherty or Coleman plays then so be it.
Neither would be comfortable at LB or in MF imo.
And it’s not like we would be leaving out a world class player.

no it’s logical to pick a formation that suits the players we have and play to our strengths, not shoe horn his 4-3-3 which he seems welded too. 

We have two very good wing backs playing in full back, Duffy is wildly exposed.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 10:02am

Would love to know what that bold statement is based on. Is it what we’ve seen in the pitch in the last few seasons?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 10:56am
Doherty is a decent footballer who has excelled in modern systems due to having good fitness and physical attributes. Coleman has suffered with injury and, as a result of that,  with his form, but he is a far better player overall. Coleman wouldn't struggle as a wing-back the way Doherty does in a traditional back four.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 11:32am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Doherty is a decent footballer who has excelled in modern systems due to having good fitness and physical attributes. Coleman has suffered with injury and, as a result of that,  with his form, but he is a far better player overall. Coleman wouldn't struggle as a wing-back the way Doherty does in a traditional back four.
Stick to the boat race!😂😂
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 11:34am
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Would love to know what that bold statement is based on. Is it what we’ve seen in the pitch in the last few seasons?

Based on watching football a lot. Coleman has far more to his game, better technically and better defensively. Doherty is more athletic and more ambitious positionally. But he is a shocking defender, kamikaze stuff having him in a back 4. 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 11:37am
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Stick to the boat race!😂😂
What boat race? I live inland.

Edited by pre Madonna - 30 Sep 2020 at 11:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 198199200201202 230>
  Share Topic