Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Séamus Coleman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 172173174175176 230>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I did think he tried at times, more than others, but there was no options at all. We played a full international match without a midfield of any description, that is very hard for either wing-back to find somebody to link what.

A match? We've played 2 campaigns without a midfield! 

Between Seamus and Walters being too afraid to be say it how it is, it's obvious Martin uses his authority as a weapon to drop people if they say something he doesn't agree with.

A proper control freak.
True!Big smile
I still think Walters spoke well, he gave away a lot in what he didn't say and what was implied. He was hardly going to come out and say MON out! 
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Sorry now. I absolutely love the lad but Séamus has shown me the last few games he's nothing but a yes man.

His interview after the game tonight and on Saturday have been pathetic. Fair enough he's captain and he has to toe the party line to a degree but the captains armband allows him some ability to be a bit more honest than the next fella. 

He had the cheek to say that tonights result was a good result and a good performance. If he thought tonight was good then he should not be captain. 

Coleman is in an unenviable position as the captain of a struggling team, having to face the media and put some positive/deflection spin on it despite what he may  personally feel. This is nothing new and like our senior players in times past backing Stan when he was under pressure, Coleman like a responsible team captain needs to keep harmony between management and the players. 

I would take Coleman's approach over your avatar's mutinous one in 02. I would regard it a bit of  'cheek' when Roy Keane was having a go at injured Irish players in the summer and 'pathetic' to how he basically treated the Irish national team when he was captain and decided to make himself unavailable to games he viewed as meaningless. 

Would you have held your avatar to the same standards you're attacking a much better Irish captain for? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Sorry now. I absolutely love the lad but Séamus has shown me the last few games he's nothing but a yes man.

His interview after the game tonight and on Saturday have been pathetic. Fair enough he's captain and he has to toe the party line to a degree but the captains armband allows him some ability to be a bit more honest than the next fella. 

He had the cheek to say that tonights result was a good result and a good performance. If he thought tonight was good then he should not be captain. 

Coleman is in an unenviable position as the captain of a struggling team, having to face the media and put some positive/deflection spin on it despite what he may  personally feel. This is nothing new and like our senior players in times past backing Stan when he was under pressure, Coleman like a responsible team captain needs to keep harmony between management and the players. 

I would take Coleman's approach over your avatar's mutinous one in 02. I would regard it a bit of  'cheek' when Roy Keane was having a go at injured Irish players in the summer and 'pathetic' to how he basically treated the Irish national team when he was captain and decided to make himself unavailable to games he viewed as meaningless. 

Would you have held your avatar to the same standards you're attacking a much better Irish captain for? 

Ya but coleman is no keane. Keane can be forgiven for basically anything cause he was awesome on the pitch. What we would do for him now.

Edited by Dugs - 19 Nov 2018 at 11:27pm
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Keane can be forgiven for basically anything

No, he can’t.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:13am
I think people are being a little harsh on Coleman.

Seriously what did people expect him to say?

"We're sh*t and the manager has no clue what he is doing"

I'd imagine he got told off for his honest answer the other day to the press and has been told to be conservative in what he says.

In a sense though he was right, we did defend better then we did in the last few games, The Danes only had 1 shot on target and he admitted we needed to get forward more.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:24am
We camped 11 men in our box. There wasn't an inch of space. Thats not praise btw but when you have one team who refuses to come out to play and just sets up camp on their goal line its extremely difficukt to break down.  Add in Delany, Sisto, who were missing and a half arsed Eriksen who only played 45 mins and their chances decreased further.  Plus they missed a few sitters. Yer man hit the post with half the goal open. Yer man who blazed over fron 3yds out. Had one gone in the heads would have dropped and more wouod have followed.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Keane can be forgiven for basically anything

No, he can’t.

ya.....he can
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:32am
I’d expect him to say that performances haven’t been where they should be. 
I’d expect him to say that maybe 11 men behind the ball for 90mins in a ‘friendly’ isn’t right 
I’d expect some honesty. 
No one expects him to come out and slate the set up or the joke in charge but he should have some balls and courage to call it 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Shane Duffy needs to be given the captains armband, one of the few players to come out with any credit over the last 12-18 months.

An absolutely frightening thought, and would be the final nail in the coffin for us becoming an actual football team again anytime soon.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:51am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I did think he tried at times, more than others, but there was no options at all. We played a full international match without a midfield of any description, that is very hard for either wing-back to find somebody to link what.

This is the main issue.

Coleman is being beaten down more for his comments recently more than his performances. I don't agree with anything he has said as regards the management team, and he's clearly towing the party line, but there's not really much he or other players can say. He can't come out and straight out lambast MON for his abysmal management, can he?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:54am
We’ve no actual leaders around at the moment, I can’t think of anyone who would inspire and demand more from the players. 

Duffy is the obvious candidate but people will have their reservations due to his style of play.

As a Derry man he’s also likely to me even more loyal to Martin too and will say all the ‘right’ things.

Also as O’Neill inexplicably calls up and drops certain players it’s impossible to know who will start in certain positions, making it even harder to pick a captain.

At the moment, Darren Randolph is the only player guaranteed to play every game... oh and Jeff Hendrick.

For now Coleman will stay on as captain, but I don’t think a new manager would keep him on. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:56am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I’d expect him to say that performances haven’t been where they should be. 
I’d expect him to say that maybe 11 men behind the ball for 90mins in a ‘friendly’ isn’t right 
I’d expect some honesty. 
No one expects him to come out and slate the set up or the joke in charge but he should have some balls and courage to call it 

If Coleman is honest he will be slating the setup and the management team. I've no doubt that MON doesn't take kindly to any of the players feeding the idea in the media of a team unhappy with their manager. Hendrick gave a quick interview and it was hilarious, he couldn't say a negative word. He knew if he does, it won't end well for him. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:06am
Shane Duffy as captain. Seriously, if i was to look to him for inspiration LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:26am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

why wouldnt you. hes seems to be a leader. puts his body on the line all the time. well thought of in the premier league him and dunk at brighton. hes the obvious choice IMO.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:34am

Any man that thought getting up on Katie Price was a good idea should be nowhere near the armband. 
He seems vocal enough maybe that’s why some are speaking of him as captain material but no thanks
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:41am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

why wouldnt you. hes seems to be a leader. puts his body on the line all the time. well thought of in the premier league him and dunk at brighton. hes the obvious choice IMO.

If Duffy was a real leader or a quality defender as a lot on here believe him to be, he'd be marching Long and Keogh alongside him up towards the centre circle every chance he gets - and if the midfield weren't pressing at times from that higher position then, Duffy would be tearing into them for not doing their jobs.

That's not what happens though. MON tactics or not, Duffy point blank never wants to leave the edge of his own box. He is one of our biggest problems in that regard and any decent manager coming in will spot that straight away. He can only defend one way, and it has a horrid effect on the rest of the side when we let this incredibly deep sitting back go on.

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

If Duffy was a real leader or a quality defender as a lot on here believe him to be, he'd be marching Long and Keogh alongside him up towards the centre circle every chance he gets - and if the midfield weren't pressing at times from that higher position then, Duffy would be tearing into them for not doing their jobs.

That's not what happens though. MON tactics or not, Duffy point blank never wants to leave the edge of his own box. He is one of our biggest problems in that regard and any decent manager coming in will spot that straight away. He can only defend one way, and it has a horrid effect on the rest of the side when we let this incredibly deep sitting back go on.

Sssh, stop telling the truth........they don't like it if you criticize the sacred cow. And as for Uncle Tom Coleman, the less said the better.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:51am

Look, all i am saying is, he is not the brightest lad and not exactly capable of giving a rousing pre match war cry and generate overall inspiration. Gormless type. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 172173174175176 230>
  Share Topic