Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aston Villa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 122>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 10:30pm
I am sure I mentioned it on here, but I read that all the players that Leicester and Watford signed last summer, were offered to Villa first. Not sure how true it was, but it would make sense that they would have been interested in a club the sizeof Villa over the other two. The Villa team that went down today and that has played most of the season, will be towards the bottom of the championship. Time for a firesale, try the kids and get some good pros in. The problem is Villa fans will expect more than a season of solidity, makes it a tough job for Pearson or whoever.
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 11:07pm
Wouldn't be shocked if Villa went down again.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Signing the likes of Richards and Lescott, 2 washed up has-beens, was the beginning of the end. To make Richards captain was something else altogether though. Sherwood seems to have gotten off very lightly publicly, yet I'm presuming these 2 players especially were his signings? As uninspiring as the likes of Lambert and McCleish were, appointing Tim Sherwood was almost negligent!!

The one thing you would presume Villa have in place is that players have to take big cuts in wages or something along those lines when they go down. Otherwise, if they are stuck with the likes of Richards, Lescott and others for 2/3 years they will be in very big trouble. A huge clear out needed.

Because neither Sherwood or Garde had a say in player recruitment so what fault are they exactly at?

The blame lies purely on the Directors for the absolutely awful player recruitment and Lerner because he doesn't want any association with the club anymore.

They replaced 2 match winners in Delph and Benteke for absolute trash, Football Manager game-esque recruitment.

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:22am
I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of player recruitment at Aston Villa, or who holds how much sway. The fact that Tim Sherwood made Richards club captain looks to me like a manager who may have been very happy to sign him and probably had a big influence in getting him to go to Villa, no? It looks that way to me anyways.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Wouldn't be shocked if Villa went down again.
I think that also ....
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 9:41am
He may not be everyone's cup of tea but collymore absolutely destroyed those players on the radio last night and fair f**king play for saying it.

They won't go down again, Moyes looks like he's interested and will be backed. Looking forward to winning a few games in the championship

Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 11:58am
I dont think they'll go down next year but they will be down and around that end. The famous Derby County team of 07-08 finished 18th after being relegated as the worst team ever and the PL was mich stronger back then.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I am sure I mentioned it on here, but I read that all the players that Leicester and Watford signed last summer, were offered to Villa first. Not sure how true it was, but it would make sense that they would have been interested in a club the sizeof Villa over the other two. The Villa team that went down today and that has played most of the season, will be towards the bottom of the championship. Time for a firesale, try the kids and get some good pros in. The problem is Villa fans will expect more than a season of solidity, makes it a tough job for Pearson or whoever.

Yup saw that mentioned earlier in the season and it makes sense,agents would no doubt be hawking their clients to several clubs.

Selling/releasing 10 players really isnt that big of a deal for Villa when you see the absolute disgrace most of them have been this season.There are a handful of players who should be kept,promote some of the youngsters and they then need to get in a few solid pros who will be up for the scrap in Championship.

Its not going to be easy but if Moyes is willing to take the job and is given control over the recruitment then I could see them in the mix for promotion.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:37pm
Moyes wont be given control of recruitment because they hired a new board of directors only last month, Lerner hasn't a clue what he's doing on at all.

This is the same bloke who decided we're bottom at Xmas but let's do nothing about that in the January window.

A disgustingly unattractive job to take - Players dont a give f**k, Owner doesn't a f**k and the players are badly overpaid.

Edited by coyne - 17 Apr 2016 at 1:39pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 4:23pm
Was very sorry to see Villa go down.

They'll be my Championship team next season.

Would love if McCarthy took them over. or even Moyes. Have great time for both.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 4:41pm
They actually have a good Championship side at the moment, with a few loan signings and a bit of investment they'll be very comfortable in that division next season and will be around the play offs no doubt. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 6:41pm
Have they? Maybe on reputation! The gap between the top half of the championship and bottom half of the EPL is quite small. With the problems Villa fans have off the pitch and semi retired players on big wages on it, this really is difficult. Villa were not prepared to go down, they don't seem prepared for anything. Unless they remove nearly all of that first team squad and replace them with people who aren't just concerned with their cars,they will be in trouble.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 7:04pm
I cant see Villa jumping straight back up again.
The worst thing about them is they've showed no fight whatsoever. They'll do no better than mid table championship with the side they have now. Unless there`s serious investment/a top manager I could see them being outside the Premier League for a couple of years.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 7:19pm

Have they? Maybe on reputation! The gap between the top half of the championship and bottom half of the EPL is quite small. With the problems Villa fans have off the pitch and semi retired players on big wages on it, this really is difficult. Villa were not prepared to go down, they don't seem prepared for anything. Unless they remove nearly all of that first team squad and replace them with people who aren't just concerned with their cars,they will be in trouble.

+1

People talk about selling to reinvest but who on earth is right in their mind to buy any of that crap, unless you're Randy Lerner LOL

Out of the 25 registered only 2 of them have given a f**k and probably have a future in the Premier League - Grealish and Jordan Ayew.
Grealish aside I haven't seen any youth players capable of replacing the "first teamers" ether 

These problems weren't just sudden either, last season they were bottom too Benteke was struggling, Delph was struggling and the alarm bells were ringing then the pair of them decided to wake up in the 2nd half of the season and single handedly carried them to safety. They were always going to get relegated as soon as they were sold. 

Lescott sucking upto the media saying he'd love to stay at the club in the Championship, I'd love to stay too if I was on £90,000 a week. Absolute eejit.

Edited by coyne - 17 Apr 2016 at 7:22pm
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 7:39pm
They risk going the way of Leeds or Wolves. Overpaid players who aren't arsed generally don't have many suitors. They'll not be in arush to leave for lower wages either which could tie up their budget.

As for Grealish being one of only two of their players who can play at this level?? Strange he hasn't played so for most of the season in place of all the players he's better than!!
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 8:25pm
Paul McGrath not impressed!

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 9:01pm
Think there are huge similarities with Wolves in particular, a lot of players who would rather be elsewhere but aren't going to take a pay cut. What players can they sell? Who will buy them? Who is going to buy Lescott, Richards, Bacuna, Agbonlahor etc and give them anywhere near what Villa are paying them? If I was a manager of a team in one of the big leagues I would look at Ayew and that would be it. Whoever comes in has to be completely ruthless and explain to the board, ' I don't know who gave these useless bastards those wages, but get rid of what you can or they rot in the reserves', which I assume is why Pearson and Moyes have been shortlisted. The next problem is building a team around kids , while justifying paying anyone new with the reserve team all on fortunes( ffp appears irrelevant ). I think anything above the relegation zone, bringing through kids and weeding out the wasters would be a good season. The problem with that is Villa fans won't and that sense of entitlement is what could leave them playing derbies with Coventry and Walsall.

Edited by pre Madonna - 17 Apr 2016 at 9:02pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

+1

People talk about selling to reinvest but who on earth is right in their mind to buy any of that crap, unless you're Randy Lerner LOL

Out of the 25 registered only 2 of them have given a f**k and probably have a future in the Premier League - Grealish and Jordan Ayew.
Grealish aside I haven't seen any youth players capable of replacing the "first teamers" ether 

These problems weren't just sudden either, last season they were bottom too Benteke was struggling, Delph was struggling and the alarm bells were ringing then the pair of them decided to wake up in the 2nd half of the season and single handedly carried them to safety. They were always going to get relegated as soon as they were sold. 

Lescott sucking upto the media saying he'd love to stay at the club in the Championship, I'd love to stay too if I was on £90,000 a week. Absolute eejit.

The hell are you on about it Confused Grealish hasn't been given two f**ks this season.......

Villa's best player this season has been Idrissa Gueye, followed by Ayew and then Gestede who imo would do a job for plenty of PL sides.

The likes of Westwood, Clark, Sinclair, Bacuna etc will all do a job in the Championship. Its the likes of Lescott and Richards, basically money seekers and nothing more who they need to get rid of.

I wouldn't be banking on them gaining immediate promotion but they'll definitely finish top 10 if not higher provided they can hold on to the players mentioned. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 122>
  Share Topic