You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abbey Travel - 2&3 (pg5) Match Package

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by thomsonsport thomsonsport wrote:

The post was approved by a mod.
The website which went up this morning lists the license number as required by law.
(Thomson Sport Ireland Limited, registered in Ireland No 455820. 18-19 Duke Street Dublin 2)

With respect I do not think you have a clue what you are writing about.  I do not doubt your company is registered in the CRO but do you have a tour operators licence and a bond.  As I pointed out in my post yesterday ABTA and Atol are UK bonding arrangements which do not apply to Ireland.  If you have a tour operator's licence it is a requirement of that licence that you publish a statement to that affect and the licence number on all publicity material including any website.  This is a typical "British Isles" approach we see from so many UK companies who think that Ireland is just another UK regional office.  It would be interestesting to know where in Ireland your office is and how many staff you employ in Ireland.  I note that your website only offers Euro 2012 packages out of Ireland and seems to have been set up exclusively for the purpose of fleecing Irish football supporters.  Unlike your UK website you do not offer packages to other international sporting events involving Ireland such as the rugby 6 nations. 
Football is all very well a good game for rough girls, but
not for delicate boys.
Sponsored Links

JimmyG View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by JimmyG JimmyG wrote:

The website which went up this morning lists the license number as required by law.
(Thomson Sport Ireland Limited, registered in Ireland No 455820. 18-19 Duke Street Dublin 2)

With respect I do not think you have a clue what you are writing about.  I do not doubt your company is registered in the CRO but do you have a tour operators licence and a bond.  As I pointed out in my post yesterday ABTA and Atol are UK bonding arrangements which do not apply to Ireland.  If you have a tour operator's licence it is a requirement of that licence that you publish a statement to that affect and the licence number on all publicity material including any website.  This is a typical "British Isles" approach we see from so many UK companies who think that Ireland is just another UK regional office.  It would be interestesting to know where in Ireland your office is and how many staff you employ in Ireland.  I note that your website only offers Euro 2012 packages out of Ireland and seems to have been set up exclusively for the purpose of fleecing Irish football supporters.  Unlike your UK website you do not offer packages to other international sporting events involving Ireland such as the rugby 6 nations. 

Further to my earlier post I contacted the Commission for Aviation Regulation* who are the licensing authority for tour operators and travel agents in  Ireland and they told me that Thomson Sport Ireland Ltd does not have a tour operators licence and is therefore not bonded.  It would appear therefore that this company is trading illegally and any packages booked with them are not protected.

* Commission for Aviation Regulation
  • 3rd Floor Alexandra House Earlsfort Terrace Dublin 2
  • Phone: +353-(0) 1-6611700, Fax: +353-(0) 1-6611269, Email: info@aviationreg.ie

Edited by JimmyG - 12 Jan 2012 at 2:22pm
not for delicate boys.
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:10pm
Shocked 

JimmyG 100 - Thomsonsport 0

....eagerly await thomsonsports response, crowd of gangsters...
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:16pm

Further to my earlier post I contacted the Commission for Aviation Regulation* who are the licensing authority for tour operators and travel agents in  Ireland and they told me that Thomson Sport Ireland Ltd does not have a tour operators licence and is therefore not bonded.  It would appear therefore that this company is trading illegally and any packages booked with them are not protected.

* Commission for Aviation Regulation
  • 3rd Floor Alexandra House Earlsfort Terrace Dublin 2
  • Phone: +353-(0) 1-6611700, Fax: +353-(0) 1-6611269, Email: info@aviationreg.ie

They operate thru Falcon Travel.
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:17pm
I doff my cap to you Jimmy, well done great investigations. At one stage i was interested in seeing what they were going to be offering the irish fan as i thought they were going to cover the irish fan in the UK not ireland ....which I thought was being left to Abbey .
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Shocked 

JimmyG 0- Thomsonsport 100

....eagerly await thomsonsports jimmg's response, crowd of gangsters... Thomsonsport, a great bunch of lads.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:33pm

Hotels 10 nights £920 (6 hotels in 3 citys)

flights £250 x 2

Internal travel £200

total £1620 (£810 p/p)   say approx 1000 euro p/p

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Liatroim Red View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Longford Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liatroim Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:39pm

Yes, it's all obscene & yes it's greed,  but we live in a capitalist world and it's just a case of supply and demand. 

Thomson are bound to want to make money out of anything that sells well. They have obtained these tickets legally and have every right to charge what they want (doesn't matter whether they're British, Belgian or Bolivian). It's the mentalists that are prepared to buy at those silly prices that drive the price up further.  Thomson aren't to blame. It's UEFA you should be venting your fury at. They're rotten to the core and have caused all the inflation of Ireland tciekt prices. I really think anyone who pays 1500 for a one-match package needs their heads testing.

I'm not guaranteed a ticket, but I've got 3 nights in a top Berlin hotel & 4 nights likewise in central Torun + all flights, transfers and trains covered and it comes in at under 700 euro. If you're too lazy to do it yourself and too scared that you won't get a ticket nearer the time or simply too rich, then fair play to you. Personally, as much as I love me football, there's a limit and Thomson well exceed that limit.
"I only ever hit Roy Keane the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard." - Brian Clough
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Liatrom Red Liatrom Red wrote:

Yes, it's all obscene & yes it's greed,  but we live in a capitalist world and it's just a case of supply and demand. 

Thomson are bound to want to make money out of anything that sells well. They have obtained these tickets legally and have every right to charge what they want (doesn't matter whether they're British, Belgian or Bolivian). It's the mentalists that are prepared to buy at those silly prices that drive the price up further.  Thomson aren't to blame. It's UEFA you should be venting your fury at. They're rotten to the core and have caused all the inflation of Ireland tciekt prices. I really think anyone who pays 1500 for a one-match package needs their heads testing.

I'm not guaranteed a ticket, but I've got 3 nights in a top Berlin hotel & 4 nights likewise in central Torun + all flights, transfers and trains covered and it comes in at under 700 euro. If you're too lazy to do it yourself and too scared that you won't get a ticket nearer the time or simply too rich, then fair play to you. Personally, as much as I love me football, there's a limit and Thomson well exceed that limit.

Why are UEFA to blame? Tickets are €30/€70/€120....hardly extortion.
THOME View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 4:05pm
Reason being Cliff is that UEFA are most likely charging Thompson a lot of money to be able to sell these type of packages to fans which is the piece people miss out when adding up the aspects of the price.  How much does Abbey/Thompson pay the FAI/UEFA to be able to sell "face value" tickets.  If they pay them €40 a ticket then the FAI/UEFA making €120 out of every package sold.  

PS: am looking forward to seeing the next round of Jimmy v one of the the biggest tour operators in Ireland.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Longford Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liatroim Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 4:16pm
Three reasons come to mind why I blame UEFA: -

1) They have allocated a substantial number of tickets that could have gone to genuine supporters but instead were allocated to firms like Thomson & Abbey and thus price the majority out of the market. You can bet that UEFA will have taken a substantial cut on what Abbey/Thomson rake in.

2) They're also running a portal which they make out to be there to help fans get tickets when in fact they are just soliciting tickets that have already been sold but returned and then reselling them at inflated prices. It's a scam.

3) How many of these Cat 3 and Cat 2 tickets are batting about? Doubt there are many out there, as they'll mainly have gone to the travel companies. It's a scandel that football fans have to find a minimum of 120 euro for a football match ticket which will be ridiculously inflated on the black market.

UEFA are as much of a disgrace as the scumbag who will probably fleece me of 200euro+ outside the Gdansk Stadium on the day of the Spanish game. They're just doing it on a wider scale.

Edited by Liatrom Red - 12 Jan 2012 at 4:17pm
"I only ever hit Roy Keane the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard." - Brian Clough
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 4:25pm
Is it not FAI who give allocation to Abbey?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Longford Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liatroim Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 4:35pm
Don't know, might be wrong. But I bet UEFA are taking a cut above face value even if they do go via the FAI.
THOME View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 4:41pm
Abbey are the FAIs travel partner and TUI/Thompson are UEFAs.   Both get an allocation but it goes back to the same old point about corporate hospitality at games as well.  People complain about it but at the end of the day its the people willing to pay the bigger prices who allow others to pay lower prices..
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Longford Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liatroim Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by THOME THOME wrote:

Abbey are the FAIs travel partner and TUI/Thompson are UEFAs.   Both get an allocation but it goes back to the same old point about corporate hospitality at games as well.  People complain about it but at the end of the day its the people willing to pay the bigger prices who allow others to pay lower prices..

Disagee.

It's the people who pay the higher prices that allow UEFA to continue to rake in huge sums of money, individuals to get rich on the black market and genuine fans to miss out. If no one was prepared to pay over the odds, then UEFA have to lower the prices. Of course, this would never happen, as some people can't help themselves.

It's the people willing to pay the bigger prices who make a few rich people that little bit richer. The corporate fatcats at UEFA don't give a toss about us fans and the way they distribute tickets is an example of that.

JimmyG View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Shocked 

....eagerly await thomsonsports jimmg's response, crowd of gangsters... Thomsonsport, a great bunch of lads.

Thomson Sport Ireland Limited can not operate legally in Ireland as a tour operator unless it is licensed.  Falcon leisure Group [Overseas] Ltd which trades under a number of different names in Ireland including Falcon Hollidays, JWT Holiday, Thomson and Thomson Cruises is licensed but is an entirely different legal entity.  The two companies are related but just as I can not legally drive a car using my brother's licence neither can Thomson Sport Ireland Ltd. trade under the tour operator's licence of its sister company.  There are a number of simple options open to them the easiest of which will be to register Thomson Sport as a trading name of Falcon Leisure Group [Overseas] Ltd and advise the licensing authority of what they are doing.  In the meantime Thomson Sport Ireland Ltd is trading illegally and any bookings made to date are not covered by a bond.
I am sure Thomson did not set out intentionally to deceive the public or did not set out to knowingly break the law.  As I said earlier this is just typical of UK companies coming into Ireland with their British Isles attitude and not having proper and due regard to our seperate laws and identity.
I will not be charging Thomson Sport Ireland Ltd for this legal and technical advice but if the want to offer me a free 10 day package for 2 people to Euro 2012 I will donate it to be auctioned on behalf of the YBIG charities. 

Edited by JimmyG - 12 Jan 2012 at 5:34pm
not for delicate boys.
THOME View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 5:33pm
Not trying to defend the indefensible red but I don't think anyone would argue that 30 euro for tickets is not good value. Its the fact that uefa can make money selling corporate tickets, make money selling packages throught the thompsons of the world and sell some tickets for 70 and 120 that they can afford to sell the 30 tickets.    
THOME View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 5:45pm

Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Shocked 

Thomson Sport Ireland Limited can not operate legally in Ireland as a tour operator unless it is licensed.  Falcon leisure Group [Overseas] Ltd which trades under a number of different names in Ireland including Falcon Hollidays, JWT Holiday, Thomson and Thomson Cruises is licensed but is an entirely different legal entity.  The two companies are related but just as I can not legally drive a car using my brother's licence neither can Thomson Sport Ireland Ltd. trade under the tour operator's licence of its sister company.  There are a number of simple options open to them the easiest of which will be to register Thomson Sport as a trading name of Falcon Leisure Group [Overseas] Ltd and advise the licensing authority of what they are doing.  In the meantime Thomson Sport Ireland Ltd is trading illegally and any bookings made to date are not covered by a bond.
I am sure Thomson did not set out intentionally to deceive the public or did not set out to knowingly break the law.  As I said earlier this is just typical of UK companies coming into Ireland with their British Isles attitude and not having proper and due regard to our seperate laws and identity.
I will not be charging Thomson Sport Ireland Ltd for this legal and technical advice but if the want to offer me a free 10 day package for 2 people to Euro 2012 I will donate it to be auctioned on behalf of the YBIG charities. 

I presume you mean Germans Jimmy given it is a German company...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic