You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poppies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Live and let live.  Much healthier state of mine to be in.  If someone wants to wear something let them.  If someone wants to be offended in their own mind and do nothing about it let them too.  

I wasn't offended. 

When he walked out of the pub he stood beside me, I was going to make a comment to ruffle a few feathers but then saw that he was with his extended family so let it slide and went in and enjoyed a few pints.

People should be conscience of what they wear and where they wear it, because you could be asking for trouble.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:23am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Live and let live.  Much healthier state of mine to be in.  If someone wants to wear something let them.  If someone wants to be offended in their own mind and do nothing about it let them too.  

I wasn't offended. 

When he walked out of the pub he stood beside me, I was going to make a comment to ruffle a few feathers but then saw that he was with his extended family so let it slide and went in and enjoyed a few pints.

People should be conscience of what they wear and where they wear it, because you could be asking for trouble.

Why would you want to ruffle a few feathers to a random
Stranger on a night out.   Bizarre. 
AKA pedantic kunt
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:54am

I wasn't offended. 

To see what he would say.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
ButtySugrue View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButtySugrue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:59am

I wasn't offended. 

Bit of loser
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 11:07am

I wasn't offended. 

I suspect you wouldn’t have agreed with him no matter what he said.  I don’t think you were availing of an opportunity to learn about another person’s perspective in the spirit of inclusion but I stand to be corrected. 
AKA pedantic kunt
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 11:25am

I wasn't offended. 

I suspect you wouldn’t have agreed with him no matter what he said.  I don’t think you were availing of an opportunity to learn about another person’s perspective in the spirit of inclusion but I stand to be corrected. 

I think the population of the UK in general need to realise that the poppy isn't just for those that served in WWI & WWII but in all conflicts since WWI which includes atrocities committed on this island and elsewhere. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 11:25am

I wasn't offended. 

Clearly offended LOL
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 11:27am
Just best to say nothing let it go as only a few days left until it's all over for another year . 
 Hate to be in England at this time of year , i recall about 30 years ago working in an Irish pub in London this dude walks in and asked to put these ( poppies ) for sale on the bar , my boss just looked at me and nodded . Anyway before i could say anything he took a bag of 50 2p stuck it in the box and put the poppies in the bin and said when yer man comes back tell him we sold out . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 11:43am
Anyone wearing a poppy in Dublin is clearly looking for attention. Best ignored 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Just best to say nothing let it go as only a few days left until it's all over for another year . 
 Hate to be in England at this time of year , i recall about 30 years ago working in an Irish pub in London this dude walks in and asked to put these ( poppies ) for sale on the bar , my boss just looked at me and nodded . Anyway before i could say anything he took a bag of 50 2p stuck it in the box and put the poppies in the bin and said when yer man comes back tell him we sold out . 
It's really not as much of a thing as some people would make it out to be.
I'd say over the past few weeks I've encountered 2 people selling them and can't say I've noticed that many wearing them to be honest so it's not really in your face in everyday life.
I suspect it will be a bit different at the football this week in terms of the "pageantry" etc but will probably a bit more low key where I will be at Anfield. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 12:11pm
It’s not nearly as ubiquitous as some people would think, or believe. I think you can look down most tube carriages in London today and a handful of people on each will be wearing them. Football’s relationship with the poppy undoubtedly makes it seem a lot more prevalent than it probably is.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It’s not nearly as ubiquitous as some people would think, or believe. I think you can look down most tube carriages in London today and a handful of people on each will be wearing them. Football’s relationship with the poppy undoubtedly makes it seem a lot more prevalent than it probably is.

It should be nowhere near football but that horse has bolted I think.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

When did it actually start becoming prevalent around football? It seemed to run concurrent with a time when political parties were anxiously making it a political matter. I can say with a degree if confidence it started around 2010.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 1:27pm
Canary Wharf tube station is pretty bad. Rows and rows of uniformed w**kers selling them. They aren't overly pushy but it's still fairly in your face.
@AntrimMan85
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 6:33pm

When did it actually start becoming prevalent around football? It seemed to run concurrent with a time when political parties were anxiously making it a political matter. I can say with a degree if confidence it started around 2010.

Was before then. Think it started getting pushed now by the government over there around the time of the Iraq war and the Murdoch media including Sky got heavily on board.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:04pm

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

It's really not as much of a thing as some people would make it out to be.
I'd say over the past few weeks I've encountered 2 people selling them and can't say I've noticed that many wearing them to be honest so it's not really in your face in everyday life.
I suspect it will be a bit different at the football this week in terms of the "pageantry" etc but will probably a bit more low key where I will be at Anfield. 

I found this to be the case too when I lived in Manchester
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:07pm
I'd have imagined it would be ramped up since the Russian invasion of Ukraine. The BA need fresh cannon fodder for any potential war.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:50pm
Martin (provo) O'Neill wasn't wearing one tonight on TNT sport. It pissed off a few people on twitter which is no harm anyway. 

Poppy watch will probably take note...... 

Edited by tapfit2004 - 07 Nov 2023 at 10:52pm
Let Christy Take It.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
  Share Topic