You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poppies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

I'll caveat this story with the fact that the bloke didn't look old enough to have been in a regiment that disbanded in 1992.

get it the odd time usually on a train heading out of victoria usually ex para 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 8:47pm
Remember as a kid in the 70s seeing some elderly men wearing poppies in Dublin, lots of Dublin men fought and died un WW1, and signed up to support their families because they were blacklisted for work for the wanting to have worker representation and  for joining unions.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 8:50pm
Poppy season hasn’t been as bad this year
Haven’t seen many about
When’s it over? Sunday? 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 9:02pm
Seen some oulfellow wearing one in Neary's in Dublin on Saturday gone. I was going to make a comment to him but let it slide.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Seen some oulfellow wearing one in Neary's in Dublin on Saturday gone. I was going to make a comment to him but let it slide.

Exactly people should be free to not wear one and to wear one. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2023 at 10:54pm

Curious as to why it would cross your mind to make a comment?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Greener92 Greener92 wrote:

Free speech

Secondly, I don't think it's appropriate that Irish people commemorate an army who have committed heinous crimes in this country and get away with it.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 9:19am

Free speech

Secondly, I don't think it's appropriate that Irish people commemorate an army who have committed heinous crimes in this country and get away with it.

How did you know he was Irish. What if his Dad or grandad doughy in the First World War.   People are entitled to wear a poppy or an Easter Lilly and not get abused or confronted on the street.  Nobody should be made to either and be cancelled if they don’t or even if they do. 

Edited by Baldrick - 07 Nov 2023 at 9:21am
AKA pedantic kunt
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Free speech

How did you know he was Irish. What if his Dad or grandad doughy in the First World War.   People are entitled to wear a poppy or an Easter Lilly and not get abused or confronted on the street.  Nobody should be made to either and be cancelled if they don’t or even if they do. 

I heard him talking as I was standing beside him. I don't give 2 hoots if his relatives were in either of those wars.

I didn't abuse or confront him.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 9:35am

Free speech

Free speech shouldn't be a licence to be a dick though - I know you didn't say anything - But just in general people should be allowed to chose to wear what they want. I'd never wear one myself but can understand why some Irish people chose to commemorate their relatives who may have fought in that way (even if I think there might be better ways of doing that). 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Free speech

Free speech shouldn't be a licence to be a dick though - I know you didn't say anything - But just in general people should be allowed to chose to wear what they want. I'd never wear one myself but can understand why some Irish people chose to commemorate their relatives who may have fought in that way (even if I think there might be better ways of doing that). 

Why? Or does it depend where it is? Do you think it would be appropriate to walk around the Creggan or Bog Side wearing a poppy? Would it be OK to walk around Sandy Row wearing an Easter lily? Would it be inappropriate to walk around with a Russian badge in Dublin? If I was walking down the street in Dublin and someone was wearing a poppy, I'm sure I wouldn't say anything but I would still feel it was inappropriate regardless of whether their family fought in a world war or not. 

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 07 Nov 2023 at 9:57am
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Free speech

Why? Or does it depend where it is? Do you think it would be appropriate to walk around the Creggan or Bog Side wearing a poppy? Would it be OK to walk around Sandy Row wearing an Easter lily? Would it be inappropriate to walk around with a Russian badge in Dublin? If I was walking down the street in Dublin and someone was wearing a poppy, I'm sure I wouldn't say anything but I would still feel it was inappropriate regardless of whether their family fought in a world war or not. 

In a democracy, that isn't illegal. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:01am

Free speech

You took issue with someone being offended, not the legality of it.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:05am
Live and let live.  Much healthier state of mine to be in.  If someone wants to wear something let them.  If someone wants to be offended in their own mind and do nothing about it let them too.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Live and let live.  Much healthier state of mine to be in.  If someone wants to wear something let them.  If someone wants to be offended in their own mind and do nothing about it let them too.  
Fair enough, can't really argue with anyone that lives that way. I can guarantee you wouldn't say that to someone who has been directly affected by something they're taking offence to though. Its all live and let live when it doesn't affect you. 

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 07 Nov 2023 at 10:11am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:12am

Free speech

Being a dick?

This is a guy commemorating soldiers who murdered Irish civilians literally a stones throw from where I bumped into him.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:13am

Free speech

No, I've no issue with somebody being offended. I'd have an issue with somebody saying something to somebody for wearing one in Dublin. 

Edited by Borussia - 07 Nov 2023 at 10:13am
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:14am

Free speech

No, I've no issue with somebody being offended. I'd have an issue with somebody saying something to somebody for wearing one in Dublin. 
Then you've no issue here. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
  Share Topic