You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poppies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poppies
    Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 3:49pm
The argument put forward by Sky Sports news, The house of commons and Prince Harry that poppies arent political is ridiculous. When England play Spain there will be armed forces all around the ground. This is not political ?

England had no problem til now with this reasonable rule that no politics, religion or any other type of agenda be brought into Sport. Its a fair rule.
In the eyes of the British they have done no wrong, and these soldiers fought  for the freedom that they enjoy today. They did in my arse. Most of their fighting was attacking other nations and not defending themselves. Regardless of this argument , many Irish and British decent men died and deserve to be remembered. How many of the great British public will attend ceremonies, masses, visit graves this week,? (although its going on a month now). What we are about to see now is Poppies everywhere. In all the boozers, on all the t shirts, babies tatoos, songs on the terraces. 

But the rule is there for a reason. NO POLITICAL JESTURES.
How many European countries have been at war with each other in very recent times. Tensions still remain high between various countries. The rule has been changed now for England. Does this mean Slovakia can have some' non political' symbol on their shirt. Something to remember their dead. Something that othet countries might get very irate about very quickly.
Or what about some Muslim fundamentalist countries ? Wonder what theyd like on their shirts ?
What bout a symbol for all those killed by Gadaffi ? These poor souls should be remembered ??

So anyway, Easter Lillies it is instead of 3 logo

Edited by athlonecelt - 09 Nov 2011 at 3:51pm
Siralex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Poor Man's Duncan Castles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 3:58pm
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Not to you Athlone, just in general about this story.

I think somehow both FIFA and the English FA/government have all come out of this looking ridiculously childish!

What a pointless, silly and immature little argument, all just trying to prove they have muscle!

If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 4:10pm
Rule hasn't changed either, the poppy is on the black armband, not on the front of the jersey. Germany don't give a sh*t about it so don't see why we should. Plus, we're playing Estonia in a play off in the next six days, I couldn't give a fook what England are doing to be honest.
Most of the news you get, especially sports, is British media so obviously they are going to go on about it. It's international week and apart from our game, there's not much happening so this poppy thing is an easy page filler or segment on the sports news.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:01pm
Irish people, particularly left wing republicans are like voyeurs to everything British. They watch from afar and comment between themselves on every little thing, whilst their subjects dont even know they exist.
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:09pm

Thats great Landon but make up your own thread instead of putting in something totally unrelated and irrelevent.

The point being debated is whether the poppy is infact political or not. Im firmly on the side that it is. And to argue otherwise is totally bending the rules to suit themselves on this one occasion. However it opens up the possibility of other countries doing the same, which is dangerous, unfortunately.

The poppy hs been on shirts for a few weekns and nobody cared. But the argument of it being non political is silly.

Support the troops LandonThumbs Up

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:11pm
Jaysis Confused

joejoe View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:14pm
you tell him Celt Thumbs Up
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:19pm

International football in itself is political, national flags are political and most obviously national anthems are political. Ive no opinion on the heroin flower thingy because im not a voyeur of all things British. If you want to have no politics in international football, then you might as well scrap the whole thing.

GINN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GINN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:42pm
Let's learn to distinguish between "Britain" and "England".
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:46pm
Can we realize it's 2011 too while people are using their intelligence!
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:02pm
In 1920 the poppy was introduced as a symbol to remember those who died in WW1. It was worn by people who wanted to wear it at rememberance events on Armistice Day.
After WW2 rememberence Sunday became a day of rememberence for those who died in both wars and the poppy continued as the symbol.
Now it is used as a rememberence of those who died in all wars.
The money raised from poppy sales goes to the Royal British Legion and what was once a day of rememberence where those who wanted to wore poppies is now a 2-3 week sales campaign where people have a lot more pressure put on them to buy one than they used to.
It used to be the people selling them were members of the legion, old retired service people, widows etc. Now it's not unusal to have service personnel in uniform selling them. Last year out of the blue two soldiers in full guards uniform turned up at my office to sell them to people at their desks, I was in a pub one night and a sailor came up to me in uniform trying to sell me one, he looked pretty offended when I said no.
The media has turned this into a political football, people who don't wear poppies on TV are named and shamed so now anyone who appears on a BBC programme between late October and mid November has to wear a poppy to avoid being lambasted by the press.
Ken Clarke appeared in parliament last week without a poppy and the press was ready to have a go at him, he was forced to issue a statment saying he had one but it fell off, so basically he had to defend himself for not wearing a piece of paper on his jacket.
Football clubs have started wearing special shirts with poppies embroidered into them to show that they all remember and care and are grateful for the sacrifice etc. Even players who have no idea what it means wear these shirts through no choice of their own. You have Argentinian players (to take one example) some of whom will have family/friends who fought the British 30 or so years ago forced to wear a symbol supporting the British army who fought against them. It's a joke.

There have been international matches around this time of year for years, England never asked to have a poppy on their shirts for them, 10 years ago they played Sweden on the Saturday before rememberence Sunday and they didn't wear a poppy and nobody cared. But now they feel like they have to? The PM thinks that not allowing them to is a disgrace? The royal family get involved?
Not political? Ask me bollix.

Did the soldiers who fought and died against the nazis do it so that people would be forced to wear symbols on their shirts? Or did they do it to stop people from being forced to wear symbols?

I have no problem with people wearing them, I have no problem with the British Legion raising money selling them, I have no problem with the British nation taking some time out to remember their dead, but I have a massive problem with how it is being turned into some sort of loyalty test, and how people now feel like they have to wear one, and how those in the public eye end up being forced to wear it or explain themselves.

The whole episode has been a manufactured sh*t storm, I don't know if the FA were deliberately trying to stir it up, I doubt it, but somebody was trying to stir some sh*t and they succeeded, and FIFA made a massive mistake. Now the door is open for any country to decide that they want to wear special symbols on armbands during matches.
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:50pm
Every year same story. England shouldnt be allowed wear them if its a FIFA rule. You cant go bending rules just for england. Anyone else can do what they f**king like with the yokes. Wouldnt wear one myself but think the whole hulabaloo about them every year is a bore. nobody should be forced to wear them or not wear them unless there has been a prior rule against them such as the FIFA rule.
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
dotts101 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dotts101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:58pm
i taught fifa ban countries who allow political interference??? is this not a contradiction when their pm sends them a letter???

whats worst fifa would do if they just wore them anyway?
MJD View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 3:46am
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

In 1920 the poppy was introduced as a symbol to remember those who died in WW1. It was worn by people who wanted to wear it at rememberance events on Armistice Day.
After WW2 rememberence Sunday became a day of rememberence for those who died in both wars and the poppy continued as the symbol.
Now it is used as a rememberence of those who died in all wars.
The money raised from poppy sales goes to the Royal British Legion and what was once a day of rememberence where those who wanted to wore poppies is now a 2-3 week sales campaign where people have a lot more pressure put on them to buy one than they used to.
It used to be the people selling them were members of the legion, old retired service people, widows etc. Now it's not unusal to have service personnel in uniform selling them. Last year out of the blue two soldiers in full guards uniform turned up at my office to sell them to people at their desks, I was in a pub one night and a sailor came up to me in uniform trying to sell me one, he looked pretty offended when I said no.
The media has turned this into a political football, people who don't wear poppies on TV are named and shamed so now anyone who appears on a BBC programme between late October and mid November has to wear a poppy to avoid being lambasted by the press.
Ken Clarke appeared in parliament last week without a poppy and the press was ready to have a go at him, he was forced to issue a statment saying he had one but it fell off, so basically he had to defend himself for not wearing a piece of paper on his jacket.
Football clubs have started wearing special shirts with poppies embroidered into them to show that they all remember and care and are grateful for the sacrifice etc. Even players who have no idea what it means wear these shirts through no choice of their own. You have Argentinian players (to take one example) some of whom will have family/friends who fought the British 30 or so years ago forced to wear a symbol supporting the British army who fought against them. It's a joke.

There have been international matches around this time of year for years, England never asked to have a poppy on their shirts for them, 10 years ago they played Sweden on the Saturday before rememberence Sunday and they didn't wear a poppy and nobody cared. But now they feel like they have to? The PM thinks that not allowing them to is a disgrace? The royal family get involved?
Not political? Ask me bollix.

Did the soldiers who fought and died against the nazis do it so that people would be forced to wear symbols on their shirts? Or did they do it to stop people from being forced to wear symbols?

I have no problem with people wearing them, I have no problem with the British Legion raising money selling them, I have no problem with the British nation taking some time out to remember their dead, but I have a massive problem with how it is being turned into some sort of loyalty test, and how people now feel like they have to wear one, and how those in the public eye end up being forced to wear it or explain themselves.

The whole episode has been a manufactured sh*t storm, I don't know if the FA were deliberately trying to stir it up, I doubt it, but somebody was trying to stir some sh*t and they succeeded, and FIFA made a massive mistake. Now the door is open for any country to decide that they want to wear special symbols on armbands during matches.

Great post and I agree 100% with every point in there.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 3:57am
No better time to hitting these folks with some cracking Simon Weston jokes Big smile
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 7:23am
Have no problem with people wearing them as long as they don't moan about people wearing the Lilly at Easter. A thing I would have a problem with is the way the British say that they entered this war and the second world war for freedom which is clearly false considering they only wanted to ensure that there was no danger to their empire.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 7:58am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Have no problem with people wearing them as long as they don't moan about people wearing the Lilly at Easter. A thing I would have a problem with is the way the British say that they entered this war and the second world war for freedom which is clearly false considering they only wanted to ensure that there was no danger to their empire.

Don't most countries enter wars for their own interests? Nobody in their right mind thinks America is in Iraq or Afghanistan to gave the local people freedom.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 8:06am
Load of nonsense. If the Germans tried something similar to honour their war fatalities there'd be uproar. This should not be allowed.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic