You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 398399400401402 470>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 10:12pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 10:38pm
Means he won't now get the almost inevitable injury in the warm up games that rules him out of the tournament itself.

He'll get injured in the group games instead.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2023/0716/1394860-ireland-captain-sexton-slapped-with-three-match-ban/

Probably the best outcome 

Its not the best. Bit of an over reaction i would say. Wow he pointed his finger. By the sounds of it it was tame stuff. 3 matches. He could be rusty enough by then. Not ideal all round.
I love beer gardens
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 10:54am
I see Tonga beat Australia A at the weekend. They could be a danger in Irelands group - have loaded the squad with ex NZ/Aus players since the eligibility rule change. Will be more dangerous come September as will then have had a lot of time together to gel as have more games coming up in the PNC. That said might be an ask for them to make it out of the group but reckon one of the other Pacific Nations could.
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 11:47am
New Zealand looked unreal on Saturday against SA. Getting back to their best which is not good news! Argentina are looking good too.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 4:44pm
Very unlucky for Cian Healy to get a serious injury last night and miss the World Cup. Was on course to become Ireland's all time most capped player ahead of O'Driscoll if he played through the World Cup and the following 6 Nations. He's unlikely to manage it now.

Other than that the squad is as strong as it could be. Good enough to get out of the group and be knocked out in the quarter finals, as usual.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Very unlucky for Cian Healy to get a serious injury last night and miss the World Cup. Was on course to become Ireland's all time most capped player ahead of O'Driscoll if he played through the World Cup and the following 6 Nations. He's unlikely to manage it now.

Other than that the squad is as strong as it could be. Good enough to get out of the group and be knocked out in the quarter finals, as usual.

Seems a bit stupid to be playing this many warmup games ahead of a 6 week tournament. Rugby is a strange sport. 

With the physical nature of the sport, it's difficult to avoid injuries.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 4:51pm
Slightly different mentality with this team than those that previously attended RWC’s. Even accounting for last night, they should be in a position to go further than before.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Seems a bit stupid to be playing this many warmup games ahead of a 6 week tournament. Rugby is a strange sport. 

In any other sport the two best teams in the world would not play a warm up match against eachother like last night in Twickenham either strange is the word.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 5:08pm
Yeah seeing as you might meet each other in the tournament itself.  Showing your hand.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 5:11pm
Rassie and all the other top sides have our number, ireland always have and will always have a soft underbelly, cant cope with big teams and straight runners.  The only way they can cope with this is too flood the midfield and our wingers are too slow too defend the remaining space. Quarter finals at best 

Edited by armahibee - 27 Aug 2023 at 5:12pm
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 5:23pm
Think Irelands biggest problem is we wrapped players up in cotton wool too much, Leinster basically have team for league and team for Europe, and rarely do the same players play so many high intensity games in such short time period as they will in World Cup. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

The alternative is to go into the tournament stone cold off a pre-season training camp, they have to play warm up games. They only played three which is fewer than some other teams.

Actually they've done OK in terms of the starting 15 look like all being fit for the start of the tournament. Healy is the only man out from the best 23. That would be a fortunate position for the football team to be in going into a major finals, for the rugby team it's miraculous given the physicality of the sport. Still a shame for Healy though.

For what it's worth my predictions are that we will lose in the quarters as it's pretty much guaranteed to be France or the ABs we're playing. Also that by the time we get to that game Sexton will be injured again, and therefore retired from professional rugby.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 5:33pm
We wouldnt fear France. We beat them regularly now in the 6 Nations. And the old hoodoo of New Zealand is gone. We are well capable. Scotland in the group stage could be the banana skin not many people are talking about. 
I love beer gardens
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Slightly different mentality with this team than those that previously attended RWC’s. Even accounting for last night, they should be in a position to go further than before.
Don’t they say this all the time. Was the same in 2019 before that World Cup they were suppose to be winning that aswell under Joe Schmidt.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

We wouldnt fear France. We beat them regularly now in the 6 Nations. And the old hoodoo of New Zealand is gone. We are well capable. Scotland in the group stage could be the banana skin not many people are talking about.

They could be alright. I think we've beaten then nine times in a row since Gregor Townsend took them over so, while I'd fancy us to beat them again, they are probably due a win over us just on law of averages if nothing else.

In terms of the quarters (if we get there), NZ are usually a different animal at the World Cup compared to those November games where we often beat them. Schmidt is on their coaching team also and will have serious knowledge on us. We struggle to beat bad French teams away from home and this is anything but a bad French team. I'm really struggling to see how we get past the quarters with that draw. Red cards could have a big impact again, so our discipline needs to be spot on.

Edited by You Tell Me - 27 Aug 2023 at 5:51pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Don’t they say this all the time. Was the same in 2019 before that World Cup they were suppose to be winning that aswell under Joe Schmidt.

Always in the context of being a ‘dark horse’ rather than a real contender.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 6:09pm

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

They could be alright. I think we've beaten then nine times in a row since Gregor Townsend took them over so, while I'd fancy us to beat them again, they are probably due a win over us just on law of averages if nothing else.

In terms of the quarters (if we get there), NZ are usually a different animal at the World Cup compared to those November games where we often beat them. Schmidt is on their coaching team also and will have serious knowledge on us. We struggle to beat bad French teams away from home and this is anything but a bad French team. I'm really struggling to see how we get past the quarters with that draw. Red cards could have a big impact again, so our discipline needs to be spot on.

We have all the fire power needed if we perform. We score lots of trys and have real variation in our attack. Possibly still the best number 10 in the world and an excellent number 9. A good set of forwards andnin Caelan Dorris we have one of the best players in the world. Absolute beast and so explosive. If we get it right on the day we can beat anyone. It will be tough but i think we have the best tools avilable than ever before. Plus we have more quality depth if we get injuries. 
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 398399400401402 470>
  Share Topic