You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 387388389390391 470>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:01pm
There was a Waterford Whispers headline a few years ago which I found funny

''working class man under the impression he can like rugby too''LOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Who cares what school they go to? I couldn't give 2 sh1tes. Makes no difference 

Course it does ffs. People from certain backgrounds are disadvantaged because they cannot access these schools, and thus have little realistic prospect of making it in the sport. 

If you dont have 50k to go to a private school, you literally have as much chance of playing for Ireland than somebody from Australia or New Zealand. LOL

Apart from the two lads who went to my school and currently in the 7s and senior squad 

I've posted the starting xv a few pages ago. 9 private, 3 public, 3 foreign.

The biggest predictor of success in rugby in this country isnt talent, or hard work. It's wealth.

Edited by E2016 - 16 Mar 2023 at 3:08pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:11pm

Course it does ffs. People from certain backgrounds are disadvantaged because they cannot access these schools, and thus have little realistic prospect of making it in the sport. 

If you dont have 50k to go to a private school, you literally have as much chance of playing for Ireland than somebody from Australia or New Zealand. LOL

Apart from the two lads who went to my school and currently in the 7s and senior squad 

The biggest predictor of success in rugby in this country isnt talent, or hard work. It's wealth.

What a load of bollix. Money can't buy talent. If your not talented it doesn't matter how much money you have. 
I love beer gardens
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:13pm

correct

that and the fact no skill is actually required to play, maybe the kicker but even that's debatable Wink
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:18pm

You could argue that about countless sports. And, in other cases talent will beget wealth and privilege. Clairefontaine is a great example, which required money to bring it to the level where it was producing players whereby France no longer need to worry about outcomes like Italia '90 or USA '94 when they didnt even make the tournament.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:29pm

What a load of bollix. Money can't buy talent. If your not talented it doesn't matter how much money you have. 

I've never said that these players arent talented. 

The biggest predictor of success in rugby is wealth. That doesnt mean that all wealthy individuals who make it have no talent LOL.

It means that having money gives you access to colossal advantages which will be a far bigger determinant in your rugby future than natural talent. If a boy from Tallaght who goes to public school has the same level of talent and application as a boy from Blackrock at age 12, the odds of the Blackrock kid making it are astronomically better than the other way around. 

The current system excludes massive swathes of children from quality coaching. If your parents dont have 50k to burn on your secondary education, you have a very, very slim chance of making it.

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Why do unionists have no problem with supporting the EIRE rugby team but suggest an all EIRE football team and they are willing to take up arms.

They is confused Jeff.

Why do nationalists have no problem with supporting the EIRE rugby team but suggest and all EIRE football team and they are willing to take up arms. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:32pm
AFAIK very few Nationalists support the rugby and even fewer play it.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:41pm
I'd actually give the Eire a better chance of making the SF in France if they lose on Saturday 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

That wouldn't be true, at all. Sure, there have been Unionists who have played for Ireland, but that wouldn't be for the most part.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

That wouldn't be true, at all. Sure, there have been Unionists who have played for Ireland, but that wouldn't be for the most part.

The playing part is true, very much so.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I'm well aware of this, I was talking to a lad from Belfast about it and that's what he was saying. Fair few Northern nationalists can voice their own opinion.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:47pm

I'm well aware of this, I was talking to a lad from Belfast about it and that's what he was saying. Fair few Northern nationalists can voice their own opinion.

But rugby is supported outside of Belfast too.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:51pm
A lot of nationalists in the north would follow the Irish Rugby team more than the football team

GAA men for example would be more into the rugby. Would barely know the football team were playing
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 3:53pm

I've never said that these players arent talented. 

The biggest predictor of success in rugby is wealth. That doesnt mean that all wealthy individuals who make it have no talent LOL.

It means that having money gives you access to colossal advantages which will be a far bigger determinant in your rugby future than natural talent. If a boy from Tallaght who goes to public school has the same level of talent and application as a boy from Blackrock at age 12, the odds of the Blackrock kid making it are astronomically better than the other way around. 

The current system excludes massive swathes of children from quality coaching. If your parents dont have 50k to burn on your secondary education, you have a very, very slim chance of making it.

It certainly gives you a helping hand because more or less certain schools are running a professional academy system. 

It looks like it's working out so well that it's probably going to keep Ireland up around the top of the rankings for the next decade judging by our U20's who are going for back-to-back grand slams.

It just shows what you can actually achieve when you invest the money into it. Football is a bit different as you kind of do need more god given skills to make it to the top but it would certainly also be a big helping hand if we had similar set up for football, e.g. LOI clubs had their own education system from 1-6 year that could take the best players from the areas and enrol them in the school and combine it with more full time coaching. I know some are doing it for transition year.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

A lot of nationalists in the north would follow the Irish Rugby team more than the football team

GAA men for example would be more into the rugby. Would barely know the football team were playing

I wouldn't agree with that at all Baggio. GAA men would be into Rugby when then 6 Nations is on, other than that I don't know many that follow it. Most of my family and mates are predominantly GAA to the core and would have a stronger leaning towards following the football over Rugby.

Plus, Rugby isn't a thing here growing up if you go to a Catholic school. Catholic schools play GAA and Prostestant schools play Rugby/Hockey. Always has been like that and always will be.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

I wouldn't agree with that at all Baggio. GAA men would be into Rugby when then 6 Nations is on, other than that I don't know many that follow it. Most of my family and mates are predominantly GAA to the core and would have a stronger leaning towards following the football over Rugby.

Plus, Rugby isn't a thing here growing up if you go to a Catholic school. Catholic schools play GAA and Prostestant schools play Rugby/Hockey. Always has been like that and always will be.

Suppose it depends what part of the north you're from. Were I am pubs are packed for 6 Nations game, If Ireland are playing a qualifier people would barely know about it or would scoff - i wouldn't watch that sh*te

There's also a lot of a closer following among GAA heads all over the island to rugby than soccer IMO
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 4:27pm

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Suppose it depends what part of the north you're from. Were I am pubs are packed for 6 Nations game, If Ireland are playing a qualifier people would barely know about it or would scoff - i wouldn't watch that sh*te

There's also a lot of a closer following among GAA heads all over the island to rugby than soccer IMO

I would agree with you there but not sure if that is just down to the 6 nations. The same way if Ireland were in the Euros or WC the same places would more than likely be packed with the same fellas. But it probably would be down to the area or whatever.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 387388389390391 470>
  Share Topic