You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 386387388389390 470>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Yeah well you're forgetting one thing.  THIS IS RUGBY COUNTRY!

Why do unionists have no problem with supporting the EIRE rugby team but suggest an all EIRE football team and they are willing to take up arms.

They is confused Jeff.

Because football is riddled with culture warriors that could do with growing up.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Yeah well you're forgetting one thing.  THIS IS RUGBY COUNTRY!

Why do unionists have no problem with supporting the EIRE rugby team but suggest an all EIRE football team and they are willing to take up arms.

They is confused Jeff.

Because football is riddled with culture warriors that could do with growing up.
Somehow I doubt the locals in pubs and clubs of the Shankill are as enthusiastic fans of the teamofus as you might think...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Somehow I doubt the locals in pubs and clubs of the Shankill are as enthusiastic fans of the teamofus as you might think...[/QUOTE]

In fairness, that's not actually my point.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 12:54pm
It’s like f**king Groundhog Day on here.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 1:10pm
Tis five years residency, not two. Changed a few years back from three.

Pretty sure tis the same rule as football? 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 1:12pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Irish rugby fans have always looked down on football and their fans. As I said before, It's basically a sport for FG and their ilk.

Truth is, rugby was a minority sport for years. That has changed over the past 25 years, really starting with Ulster successfully winning the European Cup in 1999, and Ireland actually improving after the transition to the 6 Nations in 2000. Since then our clubs have done exceptionally well, and our national team has competed well, winning a number of important prizes along the way. This has vastly expanded the franchise, and it now captures the imagination of fans from places and areas where previously there wouldn't have been much of a rugby culture. The IFRU have also done trojan work in expanding the rugby franchise at grassroots level.

I agree with all of this.

Nothing funnier than seeing some gear head walking down Summerhill with a Leinster jersey!

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

There seems to be a huge correlation between the types that laugh at the granny rule and then justify the tons of the boys from Australia/New Zealand/South Africa wearing green. 

Is there? Hate to break it to you, but most Irish rugby dont obsess over comparisons with the football team. And like I said, if those lads represent Ireland with pride, and successfully, they are most welcome to do so. 

Irish rugby fans have always looked down on football and their fans. As I said before, It's basically a sport for FG and their ilk.

The 1980's want their opinion back!
Rugby may well have been the preserve of the posh schools etc back then but it has changed an awful lot since. 

Has it?

I really don't think it has. How many rugby clubs are from the likes of Ballymun, Ballyfermot, Coolock etc...

Take a look for yourself - https://www.irishrugby.ie/club-finder/

Edited by horsebox - 16 Mar 2023 at 1:23pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 1:38pm

There seems to be a huge correlation between the types that laugh at the granny rule and then justify the tons of the boys from Australia/New Zealand/South Africa wearing green. 

Is there? Hate to break it to you, but most Irish rugby dont obsess over comparisons with the football team. And like I said, if those lads represent Ireland with pride, and successfully, they are most welcome to do so. 

Rugby may well have been the preserve of the posh schools etc back then but it has changed an awful lot since. 

LOL

First 15 this weekend -
Hugo Keenan - Private
Mack Hansen - Foreign
Robbie Henshaw - Public
Bundee Aki - Foreign
James Lowe - Foreign
Johnny Sexton - Private 
Conor Murray - Public

Andrew Porter - Private
Dan Sheehan - Private 
Tadhg Furlong - Public
Ryan Baird - Private 
James Ryan - Private 
Peter O Mahony - Private
Josh Van Der Flier - Private
Caelan Dorris - Private.

You utter spoofer. We have as many foreigners on the team as we do lads from public schools. LOLLOL

9 private fee paying schools, just 3 public schools.

Thanks for proving my point for me . Who in the name Jaysus goes to this bother for a sport they have no interest in ffs
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 1:41pm

That only lists some. Tallaght RFC exists. Guinness RFC are based in the Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin. Liberty Saints RFC play in Dublin 8.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:08pm

It's a sport where a significant amount of the Irish international player base come from private schools. It is elitist through and through. The working class person has very little chance to have a proper go at rugby because he will always be up against the little Hugo Keenans of the world, who pay the bones of 50 grand (7.75k per year x 6 at Blackrock) to get a better chance at being good at rugby.

The tickets for these games are extortionately priced, Cat 2 tickets (behind the goal or far back in upper tiers) are €125, before fees. Its anti fan, all these people lapping it up and the IRFU are laughing at you. They dont want working class fans. The average joe is completely priced out in favour of corporate  getting up and down for pints all gamtypes who spend the entire game drinking and taking selfies. Rugby clubs sell off their tickets to companies too, shameless behaviour. You get dead stadiums full of corporate w**kers who spend the entire game playing musical chairs,e long. Gerry Thornley is on the verge of breakdown over the state of the support.

And then a bunch of people watching at home who havent a clue about the rules (literally ask anybody in the pub to explain the offside rule in rugby, they dont have a clue). And all the while the country tries to hype this elitist crap up to the high heavens and claim we are the best, constant comparisons with football and how bad we are and badly run. And yet only one sport has won a knockout game at a world cup, despite all the crowing about number 1 in the world, or acting that friendlies are "test matches" and that they mean anything at all. You'll do well to find a bigger bunch of w*nkers congregated in one spot than you will this Saturday at the Aviva.

Despise the sport. Elitist, hypocritical, corporate driven muck.

Just like to point to to the rear of 114 and the bar there when a game is on at a football game . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:11pm
Remember a good number of years ago there was a push for a RL franchise for a Dublin team to eventually play in the Super League. They had plans to develop the game in "working class" parts of the city and over time draw players from there. Finglas and Tallaght was mentioned. They said they were targeting that demographic as they knew the IRFU would have no interest in thise areas. When the IRFU were asked about this, they said something along the lines that Rugby was open to all but for the time being they'd be focusing on the traditional rugby areas. As I said it was a long time ago so probably outdated. There certainly seems to be an attraction to Rugby for the aspirational "working class" based on some lads I know who attend Leinster matches who are recent devotees. Suits the IRFU as its a cash cow they need to pay professional contracts.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:24pm

Has it?

I really don't think it has. How many rugby clubs are from the likes of Ballymun, Ballyfermot, Coolock etc...

Well, if I consider the club in my home town and the towns nearby, neither town has any private school. And that club finder is long out of date as the likes of Coolmine, Ashbounre and Balbriggan rugby club are not listed on there. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:28pm
If the Irish soccer team had a period of sustained success you would soon find that average Joe is getting pushed out of that too! Look at the premier league. 

Don't think you can blame the sport for fact that it's the sport of choice in high performing / fee paying schools. They are the ones who are fueling the conveyor belt of Irish rugby players we are seeing. 

In ideal world, some of these fee paying schools could turn their attention towards soccer instead and also have youngsters training at a high level alongside their studies.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:38pm

Truth is, rugby was a minority sport for years. That has changed over the past 25 years, really starting with Ulster successfully winning the European Cup in 1999, and Ireland actually improving after the transition to the 6 Nations in 2000. Since then our clubs have done exceptionally well, and our national team has competed well, winning a number of important prizes along the way. This has vastly expanded the franchise, and it now captures the imagination of fans from places and areas where previously there wouldn't have been much of a rugby culture. The IFRU have also done trojan work in expanding the rugby franchise at grassroots level.

I agree with all of this.

Nothing funnier than seeing some gear head walking down Summerhill with a Leinster jersey!

I taught in Summerhill for 12 years and the IRFU sent in coaches the last couple of years. The FAI were never once in!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:43pm
Who cares what school they go to? I couldn't give 2 sh1tes. Makes no difference 

Edited by doherty - 16 Mar 2023 at 2:44pm
I love beer gardens
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Course it does ffs. People from certain backgrounds are disadvantaged because they cannot access these schools, and thus have little realistic prospect of making it in the sport. 

If you dont have 50k to go to a private school, you literally have as much chance of playing for Ireland than somebody from Australia or New Zealand. LOL
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:50pm

Course it does ffs. People from certain backgrounds are disadvantaged because they cannot access these schools, and thus have little realistic prospect of making it in the sport. 

If you dont have 50k to go to a private school, you literally have as much chance of playing for Ireland than somebody from Australia or New ZealandLOL

So a strong chance then
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 2:59pm

If you dont have 50k to go to a private school, you literally have as much chance of playing for Ireland than somebody from Australia or New Zealand. LOL

Apart from the two lads who went to my school and currently in the 7s and senior squad 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 386387388389390 470>
  Share Topic