You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 370371372373374 471>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I love the way Wales doing well pisses off so many Irish rugby supporters

Does it? 

Would most Irish rugby supporters not be either neutral or generally up for Wales when they're playing England?  
Your average punter in Ireland, ie. the likes of me, would probably be up for Wales when they play England alright

But there has continually been an anti-Wales undercurrent among a lot of Irish rugby supporters and among the players themselves for the last decade 

Bizarrely I think a lot of it has to do with Gatland, how he had the temerity to be sacked unfairly by Ireland and then come back and continually haunt Irish teams

Also has to do with that 2011 World Cup quarter-final which Ireland supporters were cock sure we were going to win (I strongly fancied Wales in it)

And Gatland dropping O'Driscoll from the Loins in 2013, a decision which was thoroughly vindicated by the result

I think it also has to do with the frustration among Irish supporters that our provinces routinely stuff Welsh teams in the Pro14 and the Heino, and yet they usually turn around and beat us at international level

There is no question that Wales have significanty out performed Ireland when it matters over the last 15/16 years, since their 2005 Grand Slam

They've won four Grand Slams to our two, and they've performed very well at the last three World Cups, reaching the semis twice and in both semis they were only edged out

Whereas our lads get stuffed in quarter-finals - if they get there

So there's real envy in Irish rugby at Wales's success

It seems to me there is a greater culture of honesty in Welsh rugby, their leadership is superior, and their mentality is superior - they are winners - ultimately, Ireland are losers and bar our best players like Sexton, have the mentality of losers, as a group they have the mentality of losers

It was incredibly impressive how Wales just cruised through the gears after England got back to 24-24

Yer man Sheedy was nerveless, he has moxy

They looked in a bad place before this championship, suddenly they look revitalised

Alun Wyn Jones is an automatic choice as British Loins captain, whenever the series is played, there is nobody else even in the conversation

That may be all be the case but your point is for an Irish rugby supporter (not an average punter like  me) to answer. Wink 

Edited by irishmufc - 27 Feb 2021 at 7:57pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 8:36pm
In fairness, it pre-dates Gatland. After the turn of the pro-era and after 1994, Ireland and Wales were adrift behind Scotland, England and France. Thus, the game between the two countries meant a lot. However, even though Ireland hand the upper hand on all but once between 1995-1999 that winning mentality meant that Wales were rarely intimidated and beat Scotland, England and France in that period. Often before or after shipping close to a half century. Whereas we'd back up a gallant defeat to France or a win over Wales with a hammering in Murrayfield, or a limp defeat to England. Basically, we were both poor during that era, but Wales were less poor, even though we were better on a head-to-head basis. Or, even pre-dating Gatland, Wales made light work of Ireland in a decider in 2005 (it would have been a tall order for Ireland to actually win the Championship). Less important, but notable was the 2003 Six Nations when Wales were absolutely dreadful, and only actually showed up against Ireland, and nearly stopped the ill-fated drive to the Grand Slam, before the last game.

But its fair to say that Wales reflect what most Irish fans would like the national team to be, and that has become greater over the past decade or so. Their lows are lower than ours, but they have much bigger highs.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 9:10pm
I was watching highlights of Ireland's 1985 Triple Crown earlier today, they drew with France so didn't get the Grand Slam but won the championship outright

Ireland beating England 17-0 in 1987 is my first memory of watching a championship game so '85 came too soon for me

But in retrospect, that '85 team was everything I loved about rugby - there was something about that Irish team that appealed to the Irish psyche in a way that maybe no other Irish team in any sport ever has - and that season I think will live much longer in the memory than Ireland's two Grand Slams - bar the key moments when O'Gara and Sexton nailed drop goals, particularly the Sexton one which to be fair was an all time stand out moment

The matches and the moments of '85 were legendary, and the legendary Mick Doyle presiding over it all 

Trevor Ringland's tries against Scotland and Wales, Keith Crossan's try against Wales, Fred Cogley's commentary, Fitzy's "where's yer f**kin' pride", Brendan Mullin charging down the English full back's kick for a try, Michael Kiernan's drop goal, the genuine bedlam on the terraces

I had a glance last night at Doyle as an analyst on Rugby After Dark from 1992 after we lost to Wales 

Phenomenal analysis, he f**king laid into them, as he used to do in print as well

Doyle was brutally honest and he did not care one jot who he offended

Back in the amateur days I used to like that culture of honesty that was in Irish rugby, and that Munster team of the 2000s had it as well, which is why they were so loved

Irish rugby is crying out for a Mick Doyle now to shake things up, to insult people's pride

Even in the 2000s that culture of confrontation and honesty was still sort of there, especially the way that Leinster were called "ladyboys" 

But Irish rugby now is trapped in a world of corporate circle jerking 

Brian O'Driscoll said after the France game "let's be honest, we're third, maaaybe even fourth out of the six teams"

That's not honest, Brian

We're fifth and well adrift of the other four, and we all know it

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 9:52pm

I was watching highlights of Ireland's 1985 Triple Crown earlier today, they drew with France so didn't get the Grand Slam but won the championship outright

Ireland beating England 17-0 in 1987 is my first memory of watching a championship game so '85 came too soon for me

But in retrospect, that '85 team was everything I loved about rugby - there was something about that Irish team that appealed to the Irish psyche in a way that maybe no other Irish team in any sport ever has - and that season I think will live much longer in the memory than Ireland's two Grand Slams - bar the key moments when O'Gara and Sexton nailed drop goals, particularly the Sexton one which to be fair was an all time stand out moment

The matches and the moments of '85 were legendary, and the legendary Mick Doyle presiding over it all 

Trevor Ringland's tries against Scotland and Wales, Keith Crossan's try against Wales, Fred Cogley's commentary, Fitzy's "where's yer f**kin' pride", Brendan Mullin charging down the English full back's kick for a try, Michael Kiernan's drop goal, the genuine bedlam on the terraces

I had a glance last night at Doyle as an analyst on Rugby After Dark from 1992 after we lost to Wales 

Phenomenal analysis, he f**king laid into them, as he used to do in print as well

Doyle was brutally honest and he did not care one jot who he offended

Back in the amateur days I used to like that culture of honesty that was in Irish rugby, and that Munster team of the 2000s had it as well, which is why they were so loved

Irish rugby is crying out for a Mick Doyle now to shake things up, to insult people's pride

Even in the 2000s that culture of confrontation and honesty was still sort of there, especially the way that Leinster were called "ladyboys" 

But Irish rugby now is trapped in a world of corporate circle jerking 

Brian O'Driscoll said after the France game "let's be honest, we're third, maaaybe even fourth out of the six teams"

That's not honest, Brian

We're fifth and well adrift of the other four, and we all know it

Who cares Sid. On a world stage it’s marginally above GAA.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 9:59pm
So you loved both Irish Rugby and Celtic football club in the 80s?
Thats called nostalgia Sid
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

It may be but it's also a fact that sport in general in the 1980s and the early 1990s was much more enjoyable to watch than it is now - in the same way that music was more enjoyable and better

Atmospheres in stadiums has a huge amount to do with that, atmospheres then were raucous, now they're mainly all-seater, corporate and younger people are priced out

However I've actually enjoyed this year's Six Nations a lot more than I expected - it's been surprisingly good and very competitive

The Millennium Stadium is one of the very, very few modern sports arenas that has a genuinely great atmosphere - and the crowd certainly made themselves heard today, even though they weren't there

TRV View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 4:11am

His hinterland is rugby,leafy suburb bloke, trying  while younger  to be a working  class hero he started following liverpool , to b fair loads lads fell into same trap, easy when they were winning  things back then.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 11:13am
Originally posted by TRV TRV wrote:

His hinterland is rugby,leafy suburb bloke, trying  while younger  to be a working  class hero he started following liverpool , to b fair loads lads fell into same trap, easy when they were winning  things back then.

Hi Qewan LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 3:24pm
Wales obliterating Italy.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 4:52pm
Always love a win at Murrayfield! Perhaps done the hard way, but Ireland did what they need to do in the end.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 5:30pm
Thought Keenan was unlucky not to win MOTM. He was excellent and caught every ball. 

First two Scotland tries were awful sloppy to concede but I've never seen Ireland dominate the opposition's line out as much as I did today in the 6 Nations.

Sets it up nicely for the England match. 

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 5:44pm
Even though we won today we dont really look like were going anywhere. We never really make any line breaks, dont rate Gibson Park. Too slow. Why is Luke McGrath not getting a look in? Stander yes he carries the ball but where? Into a man usually. James Lowe for all his excitement is a terrible defender. His place looks dodgy for me now. We really need an injection somewhere along the line. Is it out there though. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:35pm
I have said it before and will continue to say it, that Jamie Heaslip is unbearable. He is Ross O'Carroll-Kelly.

Despite the referee, that was an enjoyable game.  Some referees like to be the centre of the attention and he certainly does. His fall did amuse though.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:50pm
Don't be scared Johnny LOL 
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Thought Keenan was unlucky not to win MOTM. He was excellent and caught every ball. 

First two Scotland tries were awful sloppy to concede but I've never seen Ireland dominate the opposition's line out as much as I did today in the 6 Nations.

Sets it up nicely for the England match. 

Sets what up? Two teams on the slide, one playing a style of Rugby that is borderline unwatchable ( pssssttt....its not England ) and neither can or will win f*** all? 
@AntrimMan85
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 9:20pm
A win but woeful. I don’t know what the game plan is, we look like we don’t have one, make it up as we go along. Woeful to watch.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

A win but woeful. I don’t know what the game plan is, we look like we don’t have one, make it up as we go along. Woeful to watch.

Exactly. What's the plan here. Cliché maybe but what's the identity of this team? Turgid up the jumper rubbish with players coached to death that are terrified to make a mistake. We've been here before. For a nation who structured the professional game in a way that gives us such an ( unfair, arguably) advantage over other nations, our current progression or lack there of is unforgivable frankly 
@AntrimMan85
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 9:30pm
I thought England played some good stuff yesterday esp in the first half. Made a few good line breaks and looked like they worked on a few tidy moves. We never make a line break these days.
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 370371372373374 471>
  Share Topic