You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 358359360361362 470>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Jealousy of what exactly?

-A sport whose organisation has not spent recent times in the media for the wrong reasons.
-A sport that has won important honours at club and country level.
-A sport that has built a sustainable infrastructure that develops large numbers of players domestically.
-A sport that has built a number of legendary players over twenty years.
-A sport at which you can bring a Guinness to your seat.

Its a well administered and sustainable sport.

He has a point 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

-A sport whose organisation has not spent recent times in the media for the wrong reasons.
-A sport that has built a sustainable infrastructure that develops large numbers of players domestically.

He has a point 

All good points and very true.

The president of the Irish Rugby Union is not well known - that’s how it should be.

It’s very well run and you can complain about the ott marketing and the corporate element but it works - gets money into the game.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I’m just happy to see the Irish rugby side lose, winding their fans up is a bonus.

You come across as a very bitter man Bren as you seem to hate everything 

Thanks Murph! Rugby and Burnley mainly.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 1:42pm

He has a point 

Not with the last one he doesn’t - I like it that you can’t bring a pint to your seat 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 2:02pm
If its severed in a plastic Glass its not Guinness!
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

If its severed in a plastic Glass its not Guinness!

Spelling mistakes aside I'm pretty sure Guinness is Guinness regardless of what it is in. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 2:17pm

He has a point 

To me, there are just too many little things about the way Irish football operates, the way our supporters support the game, and the overall performance, that make me believe that a lot of the fans who have a go at rugby do so because they see what they want from their own game. Generalising about, and traducing rugby fans is just a proxy war, and a way of finding criticism of something that operates quite well. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 2:23pm
I hate galway football as there are lads called Jarlath.   Seems good logic 
AKA pedantic kunt
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 2:32pm
You could bring pints to your seat in the Ireland v Denmark match last November.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 2:53pm

If Rugby was a political party they would be FG.

Rugby supporters are snidey, poppy wearing mouth pieces who look down their nose at others.
I dont fully agree with you but it is funny Clap
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Leinster have about 12k season ticket holders.
Would the total combined LOI have that many? 

Rugby supporters put money into Irish teams. I wish we could say the same for football supporters.
Rovers would have 2500-3000 ST holders.

Some also buy a ST and also a match day ticket.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

how many league of Ireland clubs and how many provinces.   

Add up all the attendances for Longford Athlone Dundalk Drogheda and the Dublin clubs and Wexford and see what you get.  

Do the same for Cork and Waterford and Limerick. 

What do Galway and Sligo get combined.  

I am sure if there were four teams in Ireland competing against welsh and Scottish and Italian teams the attendances in Ireland would be decent.  

The club game in Ireland in rugby has been destroyed by the provincial game and I well remember crowds of 500 at Munster v Leinster games. Fast forward a few years and you had 80,000 and then a few more years and you had less than 7,000 for some Munster games.  

Putting rugby fans on a pedestal is as stupid as hating them because one of the players is called Hugo as a W@ker on here suggested 
I'm far from putting them on a pedestal, but with the amount of people who watch football, play football (including 5 a side), it's sad that there are more people who go to watch provincial or international rugby that football. We're obviously all football fans first on here, but you have to admit that you'd love to guarantee every Ireland match to be a sellout like the rugby lads do, and I'd love to have average attendaces of 12k at LOI games.

Average attendance of LOI last year was 2k (so multiply by 10 teams to get 20k)
Average attendacene for Pro14 Irish teams was 12k (so multiply by 4 to get to 48k)

We're a predominently TV-based set of fans unfortuantely. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

Will never get the hate for Irish rugby on this forum.

Yes you can dislike rugby but to actually be happy and gloat when a team representing your country loses Confused
It's getting harder to like international rugby, becoming to much like a club game with so many "residency" players. It's been happing in other countries for years but Ireland now has 7 residency rule players in the squad. It takes away from the passion and has more to do with the money of playing internationally for what ever country wants you. Fifa are starting to adopt similar rules and it needs to stop. 
Yeah its getting ridiculous at this stage. Lads like Zebo not allowed play but James Lowe who's only been here 3 years about to become eligible. Only allowing the national team to pick from Irish provinces only works if the provinces are made up of mainly Irish people - that isn't happening anymore. They're signing players now with the goal of having them eligible to play for Ireland.
The reason Zebo doesn't play is because the IRFU made the unofficial decision that if you're not playing for an Irish team, you're out of the international scene

That's to protect the provincial scene here

Seems like a fairly reasonable decision to me when taken in the round

Obviously if you're indispensable to the international team the unofficial rules are bent to accommodate you as happened with Sexton

That would have been the case with O'Driscoll and probably would have been for Conor Murray over the last few years had they left 

Zebo is not seen as indispensable 

But they really could do with him at the moment, however he made his decision to join Racing in full knowledge of the unofficial rules

5 years is the cut off point for international eligibility for imports now
Yeah I understand the logic of it, but it still seems silly that a lad named Donnacha Ryan from Nenagh who is 100% Irish and just played in a European Cup final can't play for Ireland, yet someone named Bundee Ake from Auckland who has 0% Irish and playes for a second rate club does play for Ireland
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 4:34pm

Add up all the attendances for Longford Athlone Dundalk Drogheda and the Dublin clubs and Wexford and see what you get.  

I am sure if there were four teams in Ireland competing against welsh and Scottish and Italian teams the attendances in Ireland would be decent.  

The club game in Ireland in rugby has been destroyed by the provincial game and I well remember crowds of 500 at Munster v Leinster games. Fast forward a few years and you had 80,000 and then a few more years and you had less than 7,000 for some Munster games.  

Putting rugby fans on a pedestal is as stupid as hating them because one of the players is called Hugo as a W@ker on here suggested 
I'm far from putting them on a pedestal, but with the amount of people who watch football, play football (including 5 a side), it's sad that there are more people who go to watch provincial or international rugby that football. We're obviously all football fans first on here, but you have to admit that you'd love to guarantee every Ireland match to be a sellout like the rugby lads do, and I'd love to have average attendaces of 12k at LOI games.

Average attendacene for Pro14 Irish teams was 12k (so multiply by 4 to get to 48k)

4 provincial teams playing in a regional tournament and a European tournament is not the same as 10 to 20 LOI Teams playing each other.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 4:54pm

4 provincial teams playing in a regional tournament and a European tournament is not the same as 10 to 20 LOI Teams playing each other.  
More people go watch rugby in Ireland at the weekend than football. Whereas TV viewing figures, jersey sales etc are far higher for football.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:00pm

The thing is, its when we want to be tv based, we will be. But visits from Manchester United, Celtic, and Liverpool to Dublin, over the past ten years, would suggest that fans will happily put their hands in their pockets when they want to. For all the jokes about rugby "test" that get bandied around here, isn't there something inherently more ludicrous about that?
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 10:43am
Very poor risk/reward analysis from Sexton in that game regarding the penalties. Opening minute or two penalty to Ireland and a chance to knock it down the line and build a bit of early pressure - instead opts for the scrumhalf to take a huge punt at it from just inside our own half. Best case scenario we edge out a 3-0 lead but more likely result we give them back the ball (albeit with poor field position for them).

Then a few minutes before half time, we've conceded a try and lost the lead but, having scored a try ourselves earlier on, are now in the position to need a win by 6 points as opposed to 7. Penalty in what looked a fairly likely position to knock over for three points and cut the deficit to just one point but instead now opts to kick towards the corner. Ireland eventually turn it over and the French end the half four points up and with a huge psychological advantage.

I know in both cases you can say if it worked out great, but again in terms of the context of the game thought both those decisions were simply the wrong call. Not that we deserved to win anyway, but we really didn't help ourselves with that kind of decision making.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 10:52am
The decision to refuse the posts before half-time was nuts

Doesn't say much for the game management strategy and it's not a great reflection on the coaching team, you'd think this sort of stuff would have been well worked out beforehand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 358359360361362 470>
  Share Topic