You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 357358359360361 471>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Will never get the hate for Irish rugby on this forum.

Yes you can dislike rugby but to actually be happy and gloat when a team representing your country loses Confused

Not only that, but all watching it as they are up to date as too what’s happening in the game, TrueType bizarre behaviour 

There are a right shower of knobs in the squad, and the fact that we have a fella called 'Hugo' really bothers me, but when it comes to a game involving Ireland, I can't help myself but to jump on the bandwagon and become a superfan!

What I hate about rugby is the supporters actually go to the games and pump loads of money into it.
The national team always get a full house and the Irish provinces get huge crowds every week. It’s a very professional run organisation.

To an outsider it must look very odd that we say we love football in Ireland but the crowds at the LOI are a national disgrace. We have thousands jumping onto planes to Britain each week to follow their local Manchester/Liverpool/London teams. 

Travelling to London to see Hugo Lloris - me bollix! 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 8:57am
Not sure the provinces get full houses every week.  Thomand  park is half empty for many games.  And the club game gets feic all at it..  .

I would say attendances are less at club rugby than they are at LOI games 
AKA pedantic kunt
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Not sure the provinces get full houses every week.  Thomand  park is half empty for many games.  And the club game gets feic all at it..  .

I would say attendances are less at club rugby than they are at LOI games 
Club rugby isn't really top level anymore, that's the equivilent of your LSL, MSL these days. The provinces are the top clubs in the country. Munster would get 7-10k at home leage games. That's the type of attendances I'd love to be seeing at LOI games. As much as we laugh at rugby fan stereotypes, and as they have a decent core that attend games regularly to watch the sport. The international crowds in my experience are mainly there for a day out. I equate them more to a concert really, chance to get togehter with friends for drinks before and after.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 9:15am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I’m just happy to see the Irish rugby side lose, winding their fans up is a bonus.

You come across as a very bitter man Bren as you seem to hate everything 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

Yes you can dislike rugby but to actually be happy and gloat when a team representing your country loses Confused
It's getting harder to like international rugby, becoming to much like a club game with so many "residency" players. It's been happing in other countries for years but Ireland now has 7 residency rule players in the squad. It takes away from the passion and has more to do with the money of playing internationally for what ever country wants you. Fifa are starting to adopt similar rules and it needs to stop. 
Yeah its getting ridiculous at this stage. Lads like Zebo not allowed play but James Lowe who's only been here 3 years about to become eligible. Only allowing the national team to pick from Irish provinces only works if the provinces are made up of mainly Irish people - that isn't happening anymore. They're signing players now with the goal of having them eligible to play for Ireland.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 9:20am
how many league of Ireland clubs and how many provinces.   

Add up all the attendances for Longford Athlone Dundalk Drogheda and the Dublin clubs and Wexford and see what you get.  

Do the same for Cork and Waterford and Limerick. 

What do Galway and Sligo get combined.  

I am sure if there were four teams in Ireland competing against welsh and Scottish and Italian teams the attendances in Ireland would be decent.  

The club game in Ireland in rugby has been destroyed by the provincial game and I well remember crowds of 500 at Munster v Leinster games. Fast forward a few years and you had 80,000 and then a few more years and you had less than 7,000 for some Munster games.  

Putting rugby fans on a pedestal is as stupid as hating them because one of the players is called Hugo as a W@ker on here suggested 
AKA pedantic kunt
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 10:02am

Add up all the attendances for Longford Athlone Dundalk Drogheda and the Dublin clubs and Wexford and see what you get.  

Leinster have about 12k season ticket holders.
Would the total combined LOI have that many? 

Rugby supporters put money into Irish teams. I wish we could say the same for football supporters.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 10:07am

If Rugby was a political party they would be FG.

Rugby supporters are snidey, poppy wearing mouth pieces who look down their nose at others.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 10:23am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

If Rugby was a political party they would be FG.

Rugby supporters are snidey, poppy wearing mouth pieces who look down their nose at others.

Clap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:01am
Don't mind the sport itself but its the fans that turn me off the game, I've been to a fair few rugger games down the years and the atmosphere is terrible, nobody is watching the games its like a social day out especially at the aviva. The old landsdowne was a different story with the terraces. And the constant comparison with football and how in their minds rugby is far better when it clearly isn't. 
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:01am
The bitterness on here is simple jealousy. 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Adobolo Adobolo wrote:

It's getting harder to like international rugby, becoming to much like a club game with so many "residency" players. It's been happing in other countries for years but Ireland now has 7 residency rule players in the squad. It takes away from the passion and has more to do with the money of playing internationally for what ever country wants you. Fifa are starting to adopt similar rules and it needs to stop. 
Yeah its getting ridiculous at this stage. Lads like Zebo not allowed play but James Lowe who's only been here 3 years about to become eligible. Only allowing the national team to pick from Irish provinces only works if the provinces are made up of mainly Irish people - that isn't happening anymore. They're signing players now with the goal of having them eligible to play for Ireland.
The reason Zebo doesn't play is because the IRFU made the unofficial decision that if you're not playing for an Irish team, you're out of the international scene

That's to protect the provincial scene here

Seems like a fairly reasonable decision to me when taken in the round

Obviously if you're indispensable to the international team the unofficial rules are bent to accommodate you as happened with Sexton

That would have been the case with O'Driscoll and probably would have been for Conor Murray over the last few years had they left 

Zebo is not seen as indispensable 

But they really could do with him at the moment, however he made his decision to join Racing in full knowledge of the unofficial rules

5 years is the cut off point for international eligibility for imports now
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:16am
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Don't mind the sport itself but its the fans that turn me off the game, I've been to a fair few rugger games down the years and the atmosphere is terrible, nobody is watching the games its like a social day out especially at the aviva. The old landsdowne was a different story with the terraces. And the constant comparison with football and how in their minds rugby is far better when it clearly isn't. 
That's the case at most field sport in modern stadiums now because of smart phones and beer stalls, it's not a rugby thing, it's a sport thing 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:32am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

That's the case at most field sport in modern stadiums now because of smart phones and beer stalls, it's not a rugby thing, it's a sport thing 

Says the man who probably posts on here in his sleep 
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:46am

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Says the man who probably posts on here in his sleep 
It's great that you have me down as having such incredible abilities, I've been having a crisis of confidence lately but that has perked me right up, thanks for believing in me
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The bitterness on here is simple jealousy. 

Jealousy of what exactly?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Jealousy of what exactly?

-A sport whose organisation has not spent recent times in the media for the wrong reasons.
-A sport that has won important honours at club and country level.
-A sport that has built a sustainable infrastructure that develops large numbers of players domestically.
-A sport that has built a number of legendary players over twenty years.
-A sport at which you can bring a Guinness to your seat.

Its a well administered and sustainable sport.

Edited by Het-field - 01 Nov 2020 at 12:10pm
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Leinster have about 12k season ticket holders.
Would the total combined LOI have that many? 

Rugby supporters put money into Irish teams. I wish we could say the same for football supporters.

Absolutely spot on.

It makes me laugh when I hear football fans in this country giving out about the rugby crowd. It isn’t the rugby crowd that’s the problem - they attend their sport and give their teams the financial backing.

It’s the barstool brigade and the fellas that go on an annual trip to Liverpool or Manchester that are the issue. They try and take the piss out of people who attend the League of Ireland or international games. That is of course until there’s a play-off or tournament where the same fellas suddenly want tickets.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 357358359360361 471>
  Share Topic