You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 336337338339340 470>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

There was a phone in on radio Ulster today about unionists who previously supported the Ireland rugby team, but are no longer supporting them because of brexit. They feel disconnected from the south even more now apparently 
Some news letter journalist did an article on it today 
I’m going to guess that none of them were ever fans of the Ireland team. I find it hard to believe that Unionists could support them during the Troubles but not because of Brexit.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 5:20pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:00pm
France gifted that to Wales.
16-0 at HT, really should have been more........ and managed to throw it away. North was handed 2 tries.

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:12pm
Wales did there best to throw the game away in the last 10, so many bad calls in posession. Still fancy them to do well but they looked flakey under pressure.

Edited by armahibee - 01 Feb 2019 at 10:12pm
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 10:37pm
France were 7/1 to win the championship at half time.66/1 by the end. Madness.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

There was a phone in on radio Ulster today about unionists who previously supported the Ireland rugby team, but are no longer supporting them because of brexit. They feel disconnected from the south even more now apparently 
Some news letter journalist did an article on it today 
I’m going to guess that none of them were ever fans of the Ireland team. I find it hard to believe that Unionists could support them during the Troubles but not because of Brexit.

I've been going to rugby since the mid 1970's.  There was always a significant support for the Ireland rugby team from NI.  The vast majority up until the late 1990's would have been unionist.  We were awful for pretty much all of the 1990's.  

Rugby has exploded in the Republic over the past 20 years and the past decade in particular.  

The temporary move to Croke Park in 2007 brought a whole new audience.  GAA premium ticket holders had rights to their seats for the rugby Internationals and had over a 95% take-up rate.  The equivalent for football was just over 40% I believe.   

There was also the 2007 "away" game v Italy in Belfast.  God Save the Queen (or indeed King) had always been used as the anthem when Ireland played in Belfast with Amhrán na BhFiann used in Dublin.   Ravenhill had hosted the Welsh games from 1929-1950 inclusive.  France 1953 and Scotland 1954 were also played at the Belfast venue.  There was controversy in 1954 but it also became clear that Ravenhill was too small for the 5 Nations.  

Now GSTQ was never going to be played in 2007 but designating the game as an "away" game ironically stuck in the craw of many unionists.  I also have noticed a lot more tricolours at games.  

I think there hasn't been the same explosion of interest among the unionist community.  I also know of people who feel alienated in recent years and no longer attend regularly.  There will still be plenty in the Aviva today.  

I believe there is also a lot more animosity down here towards unionists in recent years.  My opinion but I thought the likes of David Trimble and Ken Magennis were more respected.  Arlene Foster, Sammy Wilson, Nigel Dodds seem to draw real ire from people.  Although obviously they appear to have moved to more extreme views just as nationalist voters have moved to extreme views on the other side in NI.       
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 1:42pm
 I dunno lads from my experience in my local club and town the unionist community always have and continue to support ireland. The only lads ive known that didnt where stauch loyalists. The point taken above i think there has being seroius growth in the last 20 years and a lot of the new support have taken ownership of the game for the want of a better word.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 3:29pm
maybe the lads up north are just sick of the “rise it Munster” and the “two pints of probs” crowd also. 
AKA pedantic kunt
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 3:52pm

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/owen-polley-i-always-supported-ireland-in-rugby-but-less-so-now-due-to-the-anti-british-mood-over-brexit-1-8793083

I can fully appreciate and understand that the author is both British and Irish, I can also fully appreciate that he is talking out his hoop. 
Did he ever think the anti-British feeling might be as a result of the rise in British nationalism in Britain and the appalling ignorance of the British government towards all of Ireland, north and south? That most people, the world over, struggle to understand the Orange Order and its members in its entirety, never mind the minutiae of their bizarre identity!

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 5:37pm
Anyway poor first half from Ireland lucky not to concede just before half-time. Still in it big improvement needed.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Anyway poor first half from Ireland lucky not to concede just before half-time. Still in it big improvement needed.
Bandwagoner 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Have a feeling the World Champions Elect are gonna get turned over tomorrow.
Getting bashed we are.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:26pm

Getting bashed we are.

With a nice helping hand from the ref Disapprove
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Getting bashed we are.

Your balls
Been outclassed 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Getting bashed we are.

Confused 

Ireland have been very poor. I can't remember Murray having a worse game. England have got their tactics spot on. The lack of a plan B is Ireland's problem.

Based on what we have seen so far, England will stroll to a Grand Slam.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:34pm
You know its a world cup year. So called best team in the world and a sniff of a world cup around the corner they crumble.

Laughable too that people are blaming the ref when the try he gave Ireland clearly wasn't grounded LOL
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:36pm
Oh we've been poor yes but you can't disagree some decisions the ref has made were wrong not checking the pass for the 3rd try
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

You know its a world cup year. So called best team in the world and a sniff of a world cup around the corner they crumble.
The Spurs of international rugby.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 336337338339340 470>
  Share Topic