You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 330331332333334 471>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by TRV TRV wrote:

8 teams play Rugby seriously.  Fact

105 actually
Germany, one of the countries involved in the repechage for the World Cup, being knocked out on Saturday, couldn't afford to play a warm up game. One of the wealthiest nations on earth and a team ranked in the top thirty.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:56am
So they have played fifteen teams? You're undermining your own point!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:57am
Ffs  
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:57am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

We're second in the world.... Not 22nd.

The win on Saturday is the exact type of performance you would come to expect from a team ranked second in the world. Yet people losing their heads over it and getting ridiculously carried away. 

It's as if people don't even realise just how good this rugby team is. This is the level they are at now. Appreciate it, expect it, don't be shocked.by it ffs 

I'm not shocked by it.

I'm proud of it

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

So they have played fifteen teams? You're undermining your own point!

Argentina, Australia, Canada, England, Fiji ,France,Georgia,Ireland,Italy,Japan,Namibia,Portugal,
Romania,Samoa,Scotland,South Africa,Tonga,United States,Wales

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:09am
There's only fourteen in bold, I miscounted. 19 is still a third of teams that they've played have beat them.
It is a massive achievement, but talking bollocks about Luxembourg and Latvia taking the game seriously is demeaning to the sport itself and anybody with half a brain.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:12am
Am I slightly taking the piss?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:14am
Fair enough! After your post on Saturday night I had thought you had lost the run of yourself!
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Fair enough! After your post on Saturday night I had thought you had lost the run of yourself!

I well drunk when I went on tirade

Did I celebrate the win massively so much that I had a hangover from hell the next day
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Yet, people are saying it's Irelands greatest ever sporting achievement...

I doubt even a coked up Ryle Nugent is claiming that.
Unfortunately there are people claiming that. One of the Off the Ball lads has an article he wrote about it on his twitter. 

@johnduggansport
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 12:22pm

The hype around this is ridiculous.

A fantastic win. Brilliant in fact but at the end of the day it was first vs second in the world. 

Yet, people are saying it's Irelands greatest ever sporting achievement... It is in its hoop. Ireland beating England at the cricket World Cup was just one of many greater achievements.
Two of rugby's elite meeting in a game. You'd swear Ireland were on the same level as Spain, Romania or Georgia in Rugby terms the way people are talking. Those players went on the pitch expecting to win not expecting to keep the score respectable. 

It's no surprise we consistently fail at world cups when as a nation we get this carried away over a once off game. Test match, friendly, call it what you like but at the end of the day, pat each other on the back and say next time we beat them we do it at the world cup. 

We're second in the world.... Not 22nd.

The win on Saturday is the exact type of performance you would come to expect from a team ranked second in the world. Yet people losing their heads over it and getting ridiculously carried away. 

It's as if people don't even realise just how good this rugby team is. This is the level they are at now. Appreciate it, expect it, don't be shocked.by it ffs 
Will someone just bite and keep Sham happy. Can't you see the man wants someone to argue with, don't think he even cares what it's about anymore 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 1:00pm

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Yet, people are saying it's Irelands greatest ever sporting achievement...

I doubt even a coked up Ryle Nugent is claiming that.
Unfortunately there are people claiming that. One of the Off the Ball lads has an article he wrote about it on his twitter. 

@johnduggansport
That is illegible tripe, if you are going to write bollocks then you should at least do a creative writing course.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 3:30pm
Means sweet f**k all unless there's a good World Cup next year. The 6 Nations should only be looked at as games to tweak the team for a good World Cup. Considering the number of decent teams in the world, our record is shocking at World Cups.

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Means sweet f**k all unless there's a good World Cup next year. The 6 Nations should only be looked at as games to tweak the team for a good World Cup. Considering the number of decent teams in the world, our record is shocking at World Cups.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 3:44pm

Considering the number of decent teams in the world, our record is shocking at World Cups.
Yes we were Spain 1950-2006 in the soccerball World Cup.
Or even Brazil 1974-1990.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 3:46pm

The only inexplicable failure was 2007. We were a well drilled team which had developed over the previous seven years, and the tournament was an epic failure. Prior to 2003 we were not good enough at any level to compete, and 1999 was the best example of that. 2011 was just insanely disappointing after the successive wins in the group stage, and the Wales game was just not acceptable. However, that was at the end of another era, and we had not fulfilled our promise. 2015 can be attributed to major injuries and we were down 5 players before the QF, before losing more in the game against Argentina.

I think the last four years have seen a development of a stronger mentality, which was lacking before previous tournaments. Remember how the corresponding game with NZ finished in 2013? There had also been some major disappointments between 2011-2015, which we have not had this time. Also, Irish rugby is also back as a kingpin in the Club game too.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The only inexplicable failure was 2007. We were a well drilled team which had developed over the previous seven years, and the tournament was an epic failure. Prior to 2003 we were not good enough at any level to compete, and 1999 was the best example of that. 2011 was just insanely disappointing after the successive wins in the group stage, and the Wales game was just not acceptable. However, that was at the end of another era, and we had not fulfilled our promise. 2015 can be attributed to major injuries and we were down 5 players before the QF, before losing more in the game against Argentina.

I think the last four years have seen a development of a stronger mentality, which was lacking before previous tournaments. Remember how the corresponding game with NZ finished in 2013? There had also been some major disappointments between 2011-2015, which we have not had this time. Also, Irish rugby is also back as a kingpin in the Club game too.

Yep we lost

sexton
O'Connell
O'Mahony
O'Brien
Payne
in the match against France

and then Bowe after 10 minutes in QF's

Our squads at the moment you'd have to say bar perhaps Hooker we have adequate cover for each positions which doesn't bring down the level that much.

The 6 Nations this year is a step towards the World Cup very much so, and it will be interesting to see the game vs US next week too and how some of the fringe players get on.

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 4:48pm
From a selfish point of view in relation to being an Irish football fan, I was delighted with the rugby team winning V All Blacks, as it was bound to put where MON & his team was going into a negative spotlight when compared with the rugby men. 

I'm not going to argue about the significance of the game or result in this post, but I really don't see, even for somebody fairly ambivalent about the rugby team like meself, how ya can knock that game too much. Players were blowing hard after only 10 minutes, but yet some of those same lads stayed on the pitch for 80. We like to think our lads are committed, but the likes of Peter O'Mahony showed there is a whole new level (a level that may require actual insanity) of commitment that can be reached. 

Whatever ya think of them, every Irish rugby fan went home happy with the knowledge that each & every team member, sub & management, had given their absolute all. Maybe it is a significant result in terms of RWC, maybe it isn't, maybe it's a significant result in itself, maybe it isn't, those are other arguments, but what's inarguable is that its a f**kin long time since we have been able to say the same regarding all the elements of managers, coaches, players and fans all being united & displaying that level of commitment to achieve results. 

And I know that they are different sports & different cultures, but even in the GAA, managers go visit other sports to see what they can take from them, and I appreciate that Schmit/IRFU have a lot more control over players as individuals and collectively than MON/Irish manager in waiting/FAI do, but surely ta fcuk some of what Joe Schmit does regarding players, planning, studying opposition etc should be a pre-requisite for any manager in any job. 

To go back to our sport, Pep, Klopp, Poch, Emery etc -they didn't get to where they are by fcuking accident, neither did Schmit, and we need to appoint somebody with that almost stupid level of zeal & attention to detail if we are to go anywhere in the medium to long term. 

Edited by deise316 - 21 Nov 2018 at 4:51pm
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 330331332333334 471>
  Share Topic