You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rugby Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 317318319320321 470>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Ah holy fck just seen the Guinness add promoting the all blacks game, sweet Jesus living in the past wha

What do you mean.  If it wasn't for the Munster v All Blacks game none of us would be 12ft tall now.
Ah yes the oul David and Goliath bullsh*t trotted out again

Translation for the ad:

Bunch of amateur rugby players from New Zealand get to take time off from work to go on a 6 week rugby holiday to Britain and EIRE.  Go on the lash and play a few games and have a few sing songs with the opposition after.    One day played hungover and lost in a friendly.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 10:57pm
We haven't seen an obsession for 31 October 1978 since Michael Meyers went on a killing spree.  Except the difference is that Michael Meyers was able to repeated the feat of that fateful day.

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

8 rugby world cups-4 winners

NZ- 1987, 2011, 2015
Australia- 1991,1999
South Africa- 1995, 2007
England- 2003

8 FIFA world cup sinces 1987 Rugby one- 5 winners

Germany- 1990*, 2014
Brazil- 1994, 2002
France, 1998, 2018
Italy- 2006
Spain- 2010

* As West Germany

Not much difference

Outside of Spain who were probably one the best sporting teams of the last 20 years majority of the World cups finals played have contained the above teams

Finalists and semi finalists present a very different picture.

In rugby there have been 4 different winners, 5 different finalists and 8 different semi finalists.

Over the same period in football, there have been 5 different winners, 8 different finalists and 16 different semi finalists.

That is a damn sight more varied.

The Rugby World Cup is one of the least competitive competitions going. When you have the elite nations doing everything to protect the status quo it will stay like that. By far the biggest story of the last world cup should have been Japan, a team who beat South Africa and should easily then have made the QF and possibly even further. Instead they were forced to play Scotland just a few days after the South Africa game effectively giving a walkover. So instead of being the story of the world cup, they were dumped out by a competition set up to protect the bigger teams.

Rugby has enough issues without such disgraceful systemic stuff going on (funnier still I remember well at the time of the World Cup that Japan's treatment got very little coverage). Imagine such a thing happened to Ireland in a World Cup group stage?

Btw on your use of world cup winners, I'd be very interested to see comparisons between Rugby World Cups, Soccer World Cups, and other comps from the QF stage or rounds before that. I'm guessing rugby has had about 11/12 different QF participants in those 8 world cups so far. That is absolutely appalling in the 30 plus years since the inaugural tournament  no matter what way you paint it.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 11:13pm
One Woman dominates the town of Haddenfield
Image result for Laurie stroud
Laurie Stroud

She is untouchable

...And that's your fate today all the Haddenfield men were told

...But one man wouldn't listen

Image result for michael meyers

With one stab he slayed a load of people DEAD

..and every Haddenfield person felt 2 ft tall

31 October 1978
The day one Supernatural mass murderer
Killed a whole town

Image result for guinness

Edited by Trap junior - 01 Nov 2018 at 11:23pm

LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

8 rugby world cups-4 winners

NZ- 1987, 2011, 2015
Australia- 1991,1999
South Africa- 1995, 2007
England- 2003

8 FIFA world cup sinces 1987 Rugby one- 5 winners

Germany- 1990*, 2014
Brazil- 1994, 2002
France, 1998, 2018
Italy- 2006
Spain- 2010

* As West Germany

Not much difference

Outside of Spain who were probably one the best sporting teams of the last 20 years majority of the World cups finals played have contained the above teams

Finalists and semi finalists present a very different picture.

In rugby there have been 4 different winners, 5 different finalists and 8 different semi finalists.

Over the same period in football, there have been 5 different winners, 8 different finalists and 16 different semi finalists.

That is a damn sight more varied.

The Rugby World Cup is one of the least competitive competitions going. When you have the elite nations doing everything to protect the status quo it will stay like that. By far the biggest story of the last world cup should have been Japan, a team who beat South Africa and should easily then have made the QF and possibly even further. Instead they were forced to play Scotland just a few days after the South Africa game effectively giving a walkover. So instead of being the story of the world cup, they were dumped out by a competition set up to protect the bigger teams.

Rugby has enough issues without such disgraceful systemic stuff going on (funnier still I remember well at the time of the World Cup that Japan's treatment got very little coverage). Imagine such a thing happened to Ireland in a World Cup group stage?

Btw on your use of world cup winners, I'd be very interested to see comparisons between Rugby World Cups, Soccer World Cups, and other comps from the QF stage or rounds before that. I'm guessing rugby has had about 11/12 different QF participants in those 8 world cups so far. That is absolutely appalling in the 30 plus years since the inaugural tournament  no matter what way you paint it.

ClapClap

and for TJ comments about Munster beating the All Blacks ClapClap
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 9:29am

I agree the schedule for Rugby World Cup is terrible but having 5 teams in the one group is going to do that unfortunately one team is always going to be the odd one out and have to play two games in a short space of time, In this case Japan who were the bottom seeds in the group.

I believe it did get a good bit of coverage and is something World Rugby has vowed to change in the next World Cups, there is talk that the 2023 world cup will be expanded to 24 teams so that groups can be split into 6 groups of 4 but that decision won't be made until a further date.

I seem to remember there be a good bit of uproar over the Euro's schedule from ourselves after we played France 4 days after our last group game while France had a nice 7 day break.

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 9:36am

I agree the schedule for Rugby World Cup is terrible but having 5 teams in the one group is going to do that unfortunately one team is always going to be the odd one out and have to play two games in a short space of time, In this case Japan who were the bottom seeds in the group.

I believe it did get a good bit of coverage and is something World Rugby has vowed to change in the next World Cups, there is talk that the 2023 world cup will be expanded to 24 teams so that groups can be split into 6 groups of 4 but that decision won't be made until a further date.

I seem to remember there be a good bit of uproar over the Euro's schedule from ourselves after we played France 4 days after our last group game while France had a nice 7 day break.

I don't anyone can really complain about scheduling when you qualify as a third placed team. You take what you can get!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 9:51am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I don't anyone can really complain about scheduling when you qualify as a third placed team. You take what you can get!
Exactly.
Yiz are shoite, yiz finished 3rd.
Do yiz want to play another game in 4 days or fcuk off home ?

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 9:54am
If the rest period was reversed and France had four days and we had seven, France would still have won. In the rugby example, most felt that Japan would have had a great chance of winning with a longer rest.
You can argue about the seedings, but that still smacks of rugby trying to keep the status quo, which was Hans' point in the first place.

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 9:59am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If the rest period was reversed and France had four days and we had seven, France would still have won.
Four hours.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:04am

If the rest period was reversed and France had four days and we had seven, France would still have won. In the rugby example, most felt that Japan would have had a great chance of winning with a longer rest.
You can argue about the seedings, but that still smacks of rugby trying to keep the status quo, which was Hans' point in the first place.

Which I agreed with but as I pointed out World rugby have put their hands up and said they got this wrong and will revise it
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:05am

Which I agreed with but as I pointed out World rugby have put their hands up and said they got this wrong and will revise it
I'm not sure. They are ridiculously slow to change, which has held the sport's development back.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:13am
And here comes the annual negative obsession with rugby.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

You can’t blame people with all the hype and newspaper coverage about a bunch of friendlies.
And those Munster-All Black ads.....good grief....
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 11:18am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse<br>You can’t blame people with all the hype and newspaper coverage about a bunch of friendlies.<br>And those Munster-All Black ads.....good grief....[/QUOTE GB 1HughJarse
You can’t blame people with all the hype and newspaper coverage about a bunch of friendlies.
And those Munster-All Black ads.....good grief....[/QUOTE wrote:

Switch off the TV. Simples.

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 11:21am

Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse<br />You can’t blame people with all the hype and newspaper coverage about a bunch of friendlies.<br />And those Munster-All Black ads.....good grief....</td></tr></table><br /><div><br /></div><div>Switch off the TV. Simples.</div>[/QUOTE GB 1HughJarse

[/QUOTE wrote:

When I buy the paper the first 5 or 6 pages in the Sports Section are rugby related.
And the radio coverage as well.....Catt Mooper practically creaming himself about the upcoming friendlies.

Edited by GB 1HughJarse - 02 Nov 2018 at 11:22am
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 11:21am

Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse<br>You can’t blame people with all the hype and newspaper coverage about a bunch of friendlies.<br>And those Munster-All Black ads.....good grief....</td></tr></table>
<div><br></div><div>Switch off the TV. Simples.</div>[/QUOTE GB 1HughJarse

[/QUOTE wrote:

log off YBIG. Simples.
log off YBIG. Simples.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 11:32am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

As I have said before on this matter, the problem here isn't with rugby at all. It is with football. Football fans are annoyed that international friendly matches used to have a similar level of importance as international rugby tests. Some of the most talked about football  games in history, outside of World Cups at least, have been friendly matches. In The Telegraph and World Soccer's joint effort to the name the greatest football matches ever played, a friendly is ranked at number 10 amongst all the famous World Cup finals and semi-finals and the 'miracle of Istanbul' (Dead), England's defeat by Hungary at Wembley is still talked about, the so-called 'match of the century'.
We ourselves get snippy when England fans mention this as their first home defeat to a foreign side, something we had given them four years earlier. We also talk about, albeit not ad nauseum, about Brady's goal that beat Brazil. 
It isn't rugby's fault that they have retained the prestige in such matches.

In saying that, that Munster bollocks can f**k right off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 317318319320321 470>
  Share Topic